• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 digiscoping eyepieces (1 Viewer)

Timedrifter

I have the 883 with which I purchased a 25x LER eyepiece. I purchased this eyepiece with the sole purpose of digiscoping. I have been trying different cameras with it (a620; LX3; C-5050; F30) and have not been particularly happy with the results. Yesterday I recieved a secondhand 20-60 zoom and did some tests late in the afternoon when we eventually had a little sunshine. The difference in quality was immediately apparent! I shot a few off at 20x and finally I was getting the image quality I expected from the scope.
This is the second time I have made a similar discovery. One of my first digiscoping scopes was a TSN3. One day, purely out of interest, I tried the 20-60x zoom and again was amazed to find it produced far better quality images than the fixed mags I'd been using. So, although for general birding the 30x is probably the best, it would appear that yet again the zoom is best for digiscoping in terms of quality. I will be doing a lot more testing today, particularly with higher scope mags just to see what's achievable.
I'd be very interested to hear of anybody elses experiences with either of these eyepieces (25xLER and zoom), particularly someone who owns both and has compared them.
Max

Yes, I had the EXACT same problem. I called the merchandiser back and they said the 25xLER is meant for target practice only. She indicated I should use either the 20-60x on 20x, or get the 30x fixed. Source was opticsplanet.com

they said the 25xLER is meant for target practice only.

Just goes to prove that most suppliers haven't the foggiest idea of what they're talking about! Where she would have got such a stupid idea from is beyond me. Moral of the story; do your research on products via internet reviews and forums.
Max

I have the 883 with which I purchased a 25x LER eyepiece. I purchased this eyepiece with the sole purpose of digiscoping. I have ......not been particularly happy with the results. Yesterday I recieved a secondhand 20-60 zoom ...... The difference in quality was immediately apparent! I shot a few off at 20x and finally I was getting the image quality I expected from the scope.
....... I will be doing a lot more testing today, particularly with higher scope mags just to see what's achievable.
I'd be very interested to hear of anybody elses experiences with either of these eyepieces (25xLER and zoom), particularly someone who owns both and has compared them.
Max

I have tried (albeit briefly) the x25 LER vs x30WA vs the zoom with a Lumix G1 and Kowa 883. The x25LER was the outright winner as the amount of vignetting with the zoom and x30WA was completely unacceptable. Thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=133032&page=3

I wonder if your x25 LER is a lemon... with every scope I have owned a quality fixed eyepiece has invariably given a better, brighter and sharper image than the zoom for birding and in the case of the old Kowas and old Leica Apos fixed wide angle eyepieces have always produced better digiscoped results both in terms of ease of use and image quality.

Max,
I've put some images taken with the Kowa 25x and 27x here -
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=140498
Although not the best eyepieces I have they do a good job with "difficult" cameras. I'd be interested to see some photos from your testing.
Neil.

Hi Neil,
Yes, I had seen these images already, and did wonder what sort of distances were involved. I agree that the large eye relief accomodates all cameras I have tried with no problems. Unfortunately I was unable to produce any real consistency with the quality of pics I took with this eyepiece, and was generally disappointed. When I tried the zoom however, initially at twenty, I started producing 'quality' images immediately. I'm aware that the likelyhood of having a duff eyepiece is pretty remote; but with the 25x LER, I do wonder?
There wouldn't be a lot of point posting any of my test shots, which are generally of chimbney pots with lichen etc, where I know in advance what to expect from previous eyepiece/camera combinations. The only thing I know for certain at this stage is, that the 20-60 zoom produces better quality images more easily.
All being well I'll be taking both eyepieces out tomorrow to test in the field; as soon as I have any results either way I'll post them.
Max

I have tried (albeit briefly) the x25 LER vs x30WA vs the zoom with a Lumix G1 and Kowa 883. The x25LER was the outright winner as the amount of vignetting with the zoom and x30WA was completely unacceptable. Thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=133032&page=3

I wonder if your x25 LER is a lemon... with every scope I have owned a quality fixed eyepiece has invariably given a better, brighter and sharper image than the zoom for birding and in the case of the old Kowas and old Leica Apos fixed wide angle eyepieces have always produced better digiscoped results both in terms of ease of use and image quality.

Hi Dave,
I too wonder if my particular eyepiece is a lemon. and may well seek an exchange. My experience doesn't mirror yours however. I read extensively on places like BirdForum that a fixed mag eyepiece was always superior for digiscoping, and for some time just blindly accepted that. One day I decided to try the zoom (old style TSN3 era) and was amazed to find that although not easy to use, the quality images it produced was superior to any of the other fixed mag eyepieces I had. At the time I was using an F11, and most of the testing I've done lately have been with the trusty F30. I did try an LX3 but the results I obtained were well below par and I returned it (it was faulty anyway). I wonder now though whether the problem was not so much the LX3 as the 25x LER.
I have certainly been tempted to get one of these Lumix G1's, particularly as they're so pretty, but I don't really want to carry a camera that size for digiscoping. I've only just come back to digiscoping having realised that the images I got in the past from this method, were superior to the images I was getting with a DSLR and 500mm lens that I'd been lugging round. That kind of kit obviously wins hands down for flying birds, but that's about all really. If you start putting a camera on a tripod because it's so heavy to hold steadily, you may as well digiscope; that's my opinion anyway.
Max

Max,
The zooms can give excellent results if you can use the "sweet" spot of your camera lens. The main reason zooms are not recommended is that the Eye Relief is not normally enough for many cameras. Digiscoping at 20x can give sharper results than higher magnifications. It's also more difficult to focus and eliminate vibration at the higher magnifications. The Kowa zooms are very good.
I'm planning to take the Swaro zoom (old model) out on the mudflats today with the G1 and a 35 mm lens. A perfect combo with a range from 1400 - 4200 mm . That should be enough even for stints at 30 metres. Neil.

My experience with Kowa eyepieces was different. Recently I bought 25 LER and with Kowa 883 and Nikon Coolpix 6000. Results are far better than with 20-60x zoom. Kevin Bolton uses same setup - this is his gallery on flickr
I don't have mileage yet to produce such good photos but I'm getting nearer with 25x LER. Number of keepers with this eyepiece is getting up too.

Max,
The zooms can give excellent results if you can use the "sweet" spot of your camera lens. The main reason zooms are not recommended is that the Eye Relief is not normally enough for many cameras. Digiscoping at 20x can give sharper results than higher magnifications. It's also more difficult to focus and eliminate vibration at the higher magnifications. The Kowa zooms are very good.
I'm planning to take the Swaro zoom (old model) out on the mudflats today with the G1 and a 35 mm lens. A perfect combo with a range from 1400 - 4200 mm . That should be enough even for stints at 30 metres. Neil.

Hi Neil,
The F30 works fine, with no vignetting, anywhere from half to full zoom with the eyepiece at 20x. I may end up continuing to use this camera until it dies!
I'm still slightly puzzled about the 25x LER though, and will test it some more tomorrow; weather permitting.
Max

My experience with Kowa eyepieces was different. Recently I bought 25 LER and with Kowa 883 and Nikon Coolpix 6000. Results are far better than with 20-60x zoom. Kevin Bolton uses same setup - this is his gallery on flickr
I don't have mileage yet to produce such good photos but I'm getting nearer with 25x LER. Number of keepers with this eyepiece is getting up too.

Hi trco,
Many thanks for this intriguing post, it makes me feel even more that I may have a lemon here!
Purely out of interest, what's the vignetting like with the 6000 at half zoom and the eyepiece zoom at 20x please?
Max

I am also interested in the Nikon P6000 digiscoping potentials. From my initial testing experience with the new SWAROVSKI 25-50 (digiscoping)zoom ocular, the telescope base, ATS 80 HD and the new UCA adapter: the P6000 fits nicely. The setup is pretty stable. I will include pictures soon. The P6000 showed no vignetting.
The results have to be verified in the field, though.
Any ideas welcome.

Martin

I am also interested in the Nikon P6000 digiscoping potentials. From my initial testing experience with the new SWAROVSKI 25-50 (digiscoping)zoom ocular, the telescope base, ATS 80 HD and the new UCA adapter: the P6000 fits nicely. The setup is pretty stable. I will include pictures soon. The P6000 showed no vignetting.
The results have to be verified in the field, though.
Any ideas welcome.

Martin

Martin,
Showing "no vignetting" is good news. Looking forward to seeing the field results.
Neil.

Hi trco,
Many thanks for this intriguing post, it makes me feel even more that I may have a lemon here!
Purely out of interest, what's the vignetting like with the 6000 at half zoom and the eyepiece zoom at 20x please?
Max

Sorry for late repyl.
I supose you are asking for vigneting with zoom eyepiece. At half zoom on 6000 there are no vigneting. Same with Kowa 25x LER eyepiece. :t:

Sorry for late repyl.
I supose you are asking for vigneting with zoom eyepiece. At half zoom on 6000 there are no vigneting. Same with Kowa 25x LER eyepiece. :t:

Thanks for that, but since I posted I've bought one! As I've already mentioned in another post, my major disappointment is the lack of rapid continuous mode; makes it virtually useless for pure digiscoping.
Max

_____--

I often view Kevin Bolton's digiscoped photos and they are indeed very sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back