• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BD 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Mind you, there are two generations (at least) of the BD XD.
The BD XD (darker, with a red ring on the focus wheel) and the latest BDII XD (lighter green, no red)

2540_kow8x32_1.jpg
Kowa-BD-II-XD-32-1.jpg

Both are the middle range of Kowa, above the SV and below the Genesis.
I've had the 1st gen on 8x32 and the 2nd gen in 6.5x32. Nice performers for the price. The BDXD8x32 was really impressive when it came to edge to edge sharpness, beyond its price point. The 6.5x32BDIIXD is pretty unique in that it offers a compact 6.5 with a quite impressive field of view. You can read many reviews (especially of the latter) here on Birdforum. There seems to be a consensus that it is a nice piece of kit. As for the old one, I can only recommend it, maybe you can find a 2nd hand unit at a nice price (you can read Allbinos glowing review here).

Last edited:
I've only looked through the 2nd gen in 8x32, and it wasn't for more than a few minutes, but it seemed a very good performer, especially at the price point.

It seems to get generally good reviews but I didn't particularly enjoy it tbh. I'd take a Monarch m7 any day over the Kowa and twice on a Sunday.
I've often wondered about the Genesis, I'm sure they hit the mark a lot better.

We tested the Kowa 8x32 BD11 in comparson with some other 8x32 binoculars. The test is published on the WEB-siTe of House of Outdoor.
I will list here some data from it in comparison with the GPO Passion ED 8x32.
Kowa: 534 g, eyerelief 10 mm, FOV 154 m/1000m, , transmission 500nm=85,7% at 550 nm=84,2%, price 429 euros
GPO Passion ED: 520g, eyerelief 13 mm, FOV 139m/1000m, transmission 500nm=88% at 550 nm=90,2%, price 380 euros
If I wanted to buy an 8x32 in the price range up to 500 euros I would go for the GPO.
Gijs van Ginkel

Had such high hopes for BDIIXD when it first came out but was disappointed when I got mine. It’s been awhile so I can’t remember exactly why. My expectations were probably too high for a glass in that price range.

I bought a pair of GPOs and liked them except for the short eyecups. Gave them to an elderly neighbor who loves them.

I have the Original Kowa BD, which I recently purchased for £150 including a Vortex chest case but no other covers. I was not expecting much TBH, but for the price they are going to be an everday carry everwhere Bino. They are sharp and transmit suffient light for dawn and dusk use. When I buy bino's i like minimal CA, and these please me well in that department. As it is said, 'the best Binos are what are at hand', so these will be my companions when I go to view beautiful birds and nature. I know better can be had but these are suffient for my everday needs and I can use my others for differnt situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back