• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa - Birdforum Photo Competition (1 Viewer)

The rules are not really sensible since they allow for fixing of noise (which is usually the result of poor exposure technique in the first place) yet disallow cloning. So if one has a dust spot then it cannot be cloned or patched out? Ridiculous!

Good luck!

This is a great competition, but the rules really need to be clarified a bit. You can't ask people to submit something they can't submit. Does it mean maybe after the candidates are identified, they will be contacted to submit their RAW files?

Please clarify. I am holding off submitting my entries as well, for I am not sure about these rules.

[Edit] Sorry, just saw the reply by Steve; never mind.

Last edited:
I uploaded a picture, started by a submitting high resolution ~12 Mpixel JPG but that one was not accepted, only lower resolution ~JPG was accepted. It seems you are constrained by the general file size (325 kB if I am correct) and resolution (1024 x 1024imposed by the forum gallery.

I uploaded a picture, started by a submitting high resolution ~12 Mpixel JPG but that one was not accepted, only lower resolution ~JPG was accepted. It seems you are constrained by the general file size (325 kB if I am correct) and resolution (1024 x 1024imposed by the forum gallery.

It should be 500kb max per photo in the gallery ...which should be fine for any 1024pix image.
cheers,
Andy

why prizes for the best photos?

Why is it that manufacturers hand out equipment prizes to the best photos - presumably taken with the best photographic kit - when it's the worst photographers who need it most? Last week I took a low-light photo of a kestrel having a quick break from hassling a cuckoo - which I thought was a sparrowhawk - in Bushy Park and even its mum wouldn't recognise it. It looks like a duck with myxomatosis.

Rules

It says three photos can be entered - sorry but I get confused - how do I know when I post if I've made an entry? chuck

Argh .. when finally I decided to submit entries, it seems like I made a mistake -- I submitted them to the "regular" gallery and not the Kowa section.

Can I re-submit the same photos to the Kowa gallery? Or is there a way to transfer the images over?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Argh .. when finally I decided to submit entries, it seems like I made a mistake -- I submitted them to the "regular" gallery and not the Kowa section.

Can I re-submit the same photos to the Kowa gallery? Or is there a way to transfer the images over?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

I've moved them for you :t:

About the 2600 pixel limit - its very difficult for me with a 12MP camera. I'm assuming the framing posted here must be identical to that from the original. Can software be used in increase the file size?

Can one submit a photo with two birds...I have a good one of a red bellied woodpecker at the feeder...You can really see the color on his belly...and a blue jay on a branch just off waiting his turn. Do you put both birds down and their scientific name then?

About the 2600 pixel limit - its very difficult for me with a 12MP camera. I'm assuming the framing posted here must be identical to that from the original. Can software be used in increase the file size?

I am not the organizer or moderator here, but since the competition is drawing to a close -- I would suggest that you submit the photo anyway. When you submit, they cannot be that large (see other posts), you in fact have to downsize them in order to meet the Bird Forum file upload restrictions. Submit the photo(s) first and if you win, then worry about upsizing the images.

Good luck. ;)

photo date

Can one submit a photo with two birds...I have a good one of a red bellied woodpecker at the feeder...You can really see the color on his belly...and a blue jay on a branch just off waiting his turn. Do you put both birds down and their scientific name then?

Wow, I read that through over and over and couldn't find that information, man do I feel stupid now ... thank you for pointing it out. :t:

Is the photo must be taken during the date of 2013.02.23 to 6.30 ? Sorry for my misunderstand. From your answer, it seem that you had understood it. From the rule 3, I can't understand too.

Is the photo must be taken during the date of 2013.02.23 to 6.30 ? Sorry for my misunderstand. From your answer, it seem that you had understood it. From the rule 3, I can't understand too.

I imagine the date is the time the contest is running...from the way I gather the only issue with photo is that it wasn't submitted to a magazine or such. And size of photo and such...

Contest question

Hi,

Does "Photographs must not have been submitted for publication elsewhere" mean that they can not be entered in any other open contests, or is it referring only to a known publication?

Thanks,

Tara

Hi,

Does "Photographs must not have been submitted for publication elsewhere" mean that they can not be entered in any other open contests, or is it referring only to a known publication?

Thanks,

Tara

Hi,
The rule refers to images published anywhere else, thus rising the whole copyright issue. if your images have not been published, please feel free to enter.

Thanks,
Sandra

Hi, I have just submitted a photo to the Kowa Competition. According to the rules, I should submit the original image, yet I did not see anything about that when uploading. Also, I did not see a field for the required postal/email address when uploading.

Thanks in advance

Hi, I have just submitted a photo to the Kowa Competition. According to the rules, I should submit the original image, yet I did not see anything about that when uploading. Also, I did not see a field for the required postal/email address when uploading.

Thanks in advance

Hi..just helping out. Not sure where u read that "According to the rules, I should submit the original image"..but no, u just need to down size ur photo to the require longest length at 1024 pixels and file size at most 5 Meg. I suppose only when you are selected to win..whatever, the management would contact u via email and such for the RAW files (original if u shot with) or JPEG (original if u shot with) with notes explaining whatever software u used, work flow..etc..etc to achieve ur winning photos.

To all..plse correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance. :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back