• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about updated BD II XD models (1 Viewer)

winginit

The Kowa BD II XD series is currently advertised as having Prominar glass, like the Genesis models. Does anyone know if this is an upgrade over previous BD II XD models? Or more of a marketing thing?

The Kowa BD II XD series is currently advertised as having Prominar glass, like the Genesis models. Does anyone know if this is an upgrade over previous BD II XD models? Or more of a marketing thing?
bd2 has little bit more contrast (more orange) and significantly larger FOV.
but 'prominar glass' dosn't work sufficiently. it Is known for CA control, but CA control of BD2 is just average of the class.
the only 'working' prominar bino in Kowa is their top line Genesis.

It's still worth an upgrade if you want little bit more rugged build quality and much larger FOV.
other things didn't change much as you expects

bd2 has little bit more contrast (more orange) and significantly larger FOV.
but 'prominar glass' dosn't work sufficiently. it Is known for CA control, but CA control of BD2 is just average of the class.
the only 'working' prominar bino in Kowa is their top line Genesis.

It's still worth an upgrade if you want little bit more rugged build quality and much larger FOV.
other things didn't change much as you expects
Thanks for the information. The older Kowa description that I read said there was fluorite in the glass, and the newer marketing material specifies Prominar glass, so I wasn't sure what the difference was. Based on your feedback it doesn't seem like a significant change?

Thanks for the information. The older Kowa description that I read said there was fluorite in the glass, and the newer marketing material specifies Prominar glass, so I wasn't sure what the difference was. Based on your feedback it doesn't seem like a significant change?
in terms of CA control, it seems yes. but bd2 is better in the different way as I said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back