• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN-88 tweaks (1 Viewer)

Bill Atwood

Supporter
United States
Apparently Kowa has updated the TSN-88 with a new body style (ala TSN-99) and some new coatings :

Kowa engineers have improved the unique optical coatings applied not only to the lenses but also the prism in the new TSN-88 PROMINAR spotting scope series.
The result is a spotting scope that delivers even higher levels of light wavelength transmission than its predecessor and most important of all, across the entire color spectrum.
The new TSN-88 PROMINAR series features an 88mm pure fluorite crystal objective lens - the true optical powerhouse at the heart of all PROMINAR flagship optics.
This unique fluorite crystal convex lens, only found in PROMINAR spotting scopes, when combined with a concave lens featuring our newly developed optical coatings, redefines the standards of color brilliance.
mFzuth00wJ4H68p3LWOeGHtIn_F7Z5qrt5e0HjDAjEMaMkjKnVWSc0RLXtTylZ1wSVO1EJYuhlTGqjT8SMCO1aHix0cMvgXYcBho0mZpMXaC4OoR8cqBcfrR0gYPO7-crXEh9UqcofjP4o6DxYECdbnZ1NItYGFe=s0-d-e1-ft
-yJsA9P_Ww1hsBl7s07rcw_LPMtOo-_cQeNqy9vVpA0DUlqA38H5cVrYbQqFiZ6UDKNJm0C6qG887gg5rD9AlIZRZpvousxsyMHUn3vPinyJ_WR6h0x95VcP9wekEGcxVewL-QR_C9VYEUEQXFhTVn5Q5WNgWR9A=s0-d-e1-ft
Small changes that make a big difference.
In addition to the optical enhancements, the new TSN-88 PROMINAR series benefits from some clever upgrades to improve your experience out in the field.
A new dual tripod mounting system allows you to connect the scope to a tripod mounting plate using two securing screws.
The TSN-88 PROMINAR adopts the new ergonomic curves and form created for the recent TSN-99 PROMINAR scope series. There is no mistaking this spotting scope is PROMINAR. Classic green with new and improved elegant styling and a comfortable shape designed to give the user the best experience and operation out in the field.
Tougher and Lighter.
The aluminium barrel formerly used on the TSN-880 series has now been upgraded, meaning the new TSN-88 PROMINAR benefits from a full 100% magnesium alloy body.

Seems a rather obvious missing slot between 55 and 88. Given critical comments seen here on BF about the Kowa 55, and those who mostly hike and bird wanting smaller lighter than 88s there's room for a 65-75.... isn't there? Curious how the companies experience sales volume at these different sizes. 88s #1 maybe? Then?

Hi Tom,

If you look at the complete Kowa line of scopes you'll find 66mm and 77mm Prominars. Those use some unidentified type of ED glass instead of Fluorite crystal. The Prominar Official Brand Website above appears to include only Prominar models that use Fluorite.

The new 88mm appears to have only one real optical change - new coatings with claimed improvements to transmission and color accuracy. Presumably those of us who have tried the TSN-993 have already seen the new coatings.

Henry

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

If you look at the complete Kowa line of scopes you'll find 66mm and 77mm Prominars. Those use some unidentified type of ED glass instead of Fluorite crystal. The Prominar Official Brand Website above appears to include only Prominar models that use Fluorite.

The new 88mm appears to have only one real optical change - new coatings with claimed improvements to transmission and color accuracy. Presumably those of us who have tried the TSN-993 have already seen the new coatings.

Henry
Yes I know about those Henry. I was thinking about the new Website PROMINAR OFFICIAL BRAND WEBSITE Bill linked above. No mention of the 66 or 77. Curious dont you think? Do they need a 55, 66, 77, 88, 99? I dont know, seems more like a sort of il-logic based lineup rather than one based on real utility.

To wander just a bit. As you know Im struggling to learn scopes. Have some pretty hard earned opinions about binos and am attempting to merge what passes for wisdom from one to the other. From reading and not using (pretty ignorant I get it), I was homing in on the various 60s to 77s as an apparent size/weight and performance compromise... Is it possible in real world use that on paper difference is not so important?

The 883/884 have been available now for about 15 years and some have been clamouring for new models, so Kowa have taken the opportunity to do a minor facelift and increase the price from €2928 to €3448 with TE-11WZ.
Magnesium alloy was used on the 880s and the weight savings are a mere 60 g for the angled and 40 g for the straight scopes and, personally, I find the new "styling" unappealing compared to the functional appearance of the predecessors.
Perhaps looking into the objective is not an impartial test of coating quality, but none of my optics is as transparent as my 2017 vintage 883, so I am sceptical about coating improvements.
Kowa have added a hydrophobic coating to the objective lens and maybe they have improved the phase coating on the prism.
Two threads on the scope foot is not a bad idea but of marginal practical advantage if one uses a suitably torqued metal QR plate.
So all in all, much ado about nothing?

John

Hi Tom,

Henry
Can anyone confirm that the coatings on the 88 and 99 are the same?

Hi Tom,

Henry

Yes I know about those Henry. I was thinking about the new Website PROMINAR OFFICIAL BRAND WEBSITE Bill linked above. No mention of the 66 or 77. Curious dont you think? Do they need a 55, 66, 77, 88, 99? I dont know, seems more like a sort of il-logic based lineup rather than one based on real utility.
Apologies for quoting myself...

Another question springs to mind for you Henry or anyone... The 66 and 77 have been around for a good long while, and there seems no good reason why these haven't been upgraded to "Prominar" status, (other than maybe low sales volume). Doesn't it seem at least possible the exclusion of these 2 scopes from the new Prominar Official Brand Website is actually signaling something yet to come? And perhaps even sooner rather than later?

Apologies for quoting myself...

Another question springs to mind for you Henry or anyone... The 66 and 77 have been around for a good long while, and there seems no good reason why these haven't been upgraded to "Prominar" status, (other than maybe low sales volume). Doesn't it seem at least possible the exclusion of these 2 scopes from the new Prominar Official Brand Website is actually signaling something yet to come? And perhaps even sooner rather than later?

I think that by streamlining their portfolio to 55, 88 and 99, Kowa are establishing their family nest as just that - Lightweight travel scopes or full sized apertures for those marathon sea watches / times when weight isn't a consideration. In this climate of reduction and supply issues, I would be shocked beyond words if a 60/70 mm scope appeared.

I think that by streamlining their portfolio to 55, 88 and 99, Kowa are establishing their family nest as just that - Lightweight travel scopes or full sized apertures for those marathon sea watches / times when weight isn't a consideration. In this climate of reduction and supply issues, I would be shocked beyond words if a 60/70 mm scope appeared.

Kowa cluttery web marketing, 4 domains is at least 3 too many.

TSN-770 is still called prominar with its XD-lenses in the US and UK/EU web sites,
new coatings wouldn't cost that much, and I think the 773 need it as well to keep up with the competition.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back