• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa white label? Also serial number question. (1 Viewer)

Also, on my 883, which I bought new last month, I just noticed that some of the numbers on the serial number have been blacked out by marker. Is this normal?

Hi,

I don't know about normal but also in my Prominar 883 there were some blacked out serial numbers.

Regards, Juhani

Hi,

the APMs are certainly not made by Kowa and also not a straight clone... Kowa does not build an 85mm scope and their 88mm offering uses a doublet objective lens with a fluorite element while the APM example uses a triplet objective with probably one ED element (might be two).

Also the fact that it takes Swarovski EPs is not really a hint for a Kowa clone...

PS: as for the blacked out digits in the Kowa scopes - were these bought used and the serial number was blacked out for images on ebay maybe?

Joachim

PS: as for the blacked out digits in the Kowa scopes - were these bought used and the serial number was blacked out for images on ebay maybe?

Mine was bought as a new.

If I remember correct, also the first sample I had (and which I returned), had blacked out serial numbers.

Juhani

I just checked my TSN-883 (bought in February this year new at a renowned shop). Same procedure. However, the blackended out numbers do certainly not constitute a serial number or being a direct part of it. I assume that is a kind of checksum or control number.
There are two groups of numbers 1,2,4,8. This can be used to generate a hexdecimal number, since - depending what you blacken (making "not counting") - you can estabish (as a sum of all not blackened) any integer number between 0 (all blackened) and 15 (non blackened) in each group (16 = hexadecimal). This results in a two digit hexadecimal code. Whatever this code means. - Any other thoughts?
I am quite confident that Kowa scope owners should not be alarmed in any way. That is just the way Kowa is identifying their stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back