• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Land of the Tufted Puffin, 6th Aug-22nd, 2016. (1 Viewer)

KenM

It's been three years, since we last visited Portland, Oregon where my daughter lives, thus a trip was almost overdue with BA to Seattle (9hrs.10 mins.), then connecting with Alaska Airlines for the final 35 minute transfer South to Portland. Upon arriving we found it un-seasonally cool and cloudy circa 59F, however within three days, the temperature started it's upward spiral eventually hitting 35C for two consecutive days during our last week. It's fair to say, that birding was a ''struggle'' at this time during the heat of the day...with any ''action'' generally coming either early am (before 10am), or very early evening 6pm onwards, as the hottest part of the day was between 4-6pm. The first few days (locally) were not very productive with just 14 species! American Crow, House Finch and a particularly superb imm. Anna's Hummingbird (on the 1st day) with Barn Swallow, Red-tailed Hawk, American Robin, Steller's Jay and Lesser Goldfinch on day two. On day three still struggling...I managed Cooper's Hawk, Scrub Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, House Sparrow (not fantastically abundant), Vaux Swift and Northern Flicker.

For the following 3 days we headed out West onto highway 26 to Canon Beach, in an appropriately named Ford ''Escape'' hire car with a Texas no.plate, which kinda made us temporary ''Texas rangers'', with a whole new landscape and avifauna to see. After an hours driving we stopped off at the ''rest stop ''in the Clatsop mountains (elev.c1500 ft) c24 miles from our destination, where we stretched our legs, and I headed across the wooden foot bridge that straddled a truly magnificent stream, where I drank copious amounts of water (whoever said that water was tasteless...clearly hadn't drunk from this source!). Refreshed I headed up the trail until I couldn't hear the ''rubber on tarmac'', the silence was magically deafening....until I heard a ''crashing'' noise from just ahead of me. It was a case of not seeing the wood from the trees, my estimates could be out but it didn't sound like a single Chipmunk...perhaps ''800'' roped together!!! :eek!: At this point discretion seemed to be the better part of valour, thus I deftly retraced my steps until I heard the ''road noise'' again, as I rounded the bend on the narrow trail I suddenly espied, what appeared to be a large owl species c20m away perched up on a low branch, and looking straight at me! Without looking down, I continued to ''eyeball'' it whilst hitting the zoom button and raising my ''bridge'' until I'd framed it in the viewfinder, (and yes it was still bloody there!!) The ''only'' bird that I'd encountered during my brief foray into the dense ''skyscraper'' trees of Clatsop forest...and what a superb Barred Owl at that!

Arriving early afternoon Aug 10th., and hitting the beach at the low tide mark, I scanned the famous c70m high Haystack Rock (Possibly the most Southerly reliable breeding site for Tufted Puffin in the US...and the only known breeding site South of Alaska), I was told by a regular ''Haystack'' volunteer warden?
I was present for about an hour, constantly scanning the rock face c30m away, apart from many Common Murre in the sky and on the ledges, it was the only Auk species apart from Pigeon Guillemot (a few) that I was to see on the day...was I too late I wondered?...the thought certainly ensured that I would redouble my efforts over the next couple of days.....to be continued.

Attachments

• P1340393.jpeg    Imm.Anna's 3..jpg
    P1340393.jpeg Imm.Anna's 3..jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 74
  • P1340362.jpeg  NF.3..jpeg
    P1340362.jpeg NF.3..jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P1340435.jpeg     Housefinch.jpg
    P1340435.jpeg Housefinch.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 77
  • P1340461.jpeg  Barred Owl 4..jpg
    P1340461.jpeg Barred Owl 4..jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 101
  • P1340630.jpeg  Pigeon Guillemot.jpeg
    P1340630.jpeg Pigeon Guillemot.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Great report Ken and wonderful photos! I especially love the Barred Owl! Looking forward to the next installment!

Chris

Interested to hear how you got on Ken, Tufted Puffin was my main dip when I visited Washington in early May, and it still stings! Tufted Puffins breed widely in Washington and British Columbia so your volunteer must have meant something else when saying the Haystack was the only known breeding site south of Alaska.

An early start on Thursday Aug.11th had me heading North along the beach to Ecola Creek, as the first leg of the loop, returning back South to Haystack for the low tide mark at c2pm. En route heading North, I encountered Western and Californian Gulls, Double-crested and Pelagic Cormorants, Western Grebe and Common Murre before heading East at the creek. Along the shoreline I espied a hovering Belted Kingfisher, just before it disappeared into a small belt of trees adjacent to the said creek which was also hosting skimming Barn and Cliff Swallows. From which I encountered a small group of waders, comprising 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 6 Least and 2 Westerns. A further scrutiny resulted in 2 Goosander and a Hooded Merganser...not a bad ''pre-breakfast'' haul to ''wet the appetite'' I mused. After coffee, croissants and a leisurely chat to some local ''holidaymakers'' I ambled back South, along the shoreline listening to the 24/7 ''roar'' of the majestic Pacific surf, picking up en-route...Caspian Tern, Osprey, 3 Brown Pelicans and a Glaucous-winged Gull. As I headed South, the unmistakeable shape of Haystack loomed larger (to my eye not dissimilar to a ''Mounties Hat''). Scanning the ''rock'' (c1.30pm) I closed down to within 200m (slight haze around...not an uncommon phenomena at times, even encased with wall to wall blue), I noted ''many'' (perhaps c50auks) doing mainly anti-clockwise circuits around the rock. Upon piercing the haze perhaps a 100m off...to my utter amazement the sky (unlike yesterday at the low tide mark) was full of Tufted Puffins, and I struggled to find Common Murre!!!

The light albeit coming from behind (ideal) produced so much glare, that I found it difficult to get any (what I would call really great shots, not helped by the fact that I was standing in almost ''knee length surf'', that would invariably surge at the point when an individual bird would present itself in focus to the ''satisfaction'' of the camera sensor! That said...given the difficulties encountered, I think the results underline just how magnificent this species really is...certainly in my ''Top Ten''. On the smaller rocks below, I added Harlequin Duck and Black Oystercatcher to the days tally. To be continued....

Attachments

• P1340729.jpeg  Haystack by moonlight. for comp..jpeg
    P1340729.jpeg Haystack by moonlight. for comp..jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 84
  • P1340626.jpeg  Tufted Puffin 4..jpg
    P1340626.jpeg Tufted Puffin 4..jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P1340699.jpeg  Harlequin with surf..jpeg
    P1340699.jpeg Harlequin with surf..jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 93
  • P1340621.jpeg  Osprey.jpeg
    P1340621.jpeg Osprey.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 81
  • P1340810.jpeg  Tufted Puffin 2..jpg
    P1340810.jpeg Tufted Puffin 2..jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 89
If you're going to see one bird . . see a good one! love the owl pic, and the first Tufted Puffin shot is also a cracker!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks guys...glad it's shaping up :t:

In stark contrast to yesterdays aerial display (not unlike Wednesday's absence). Today Friday 12th again at low tide...Just Common Murres in the air, with no sign of TP on high, or on the cliff outside their burrows!!! Whether this represented an overnight departure, or they only show on alternate days because they are ''way out'' at sea fishing...I don't know...but then there was an almost total absence of Common Murres on the TP day, perhaps they've evolved a ''take it in turns'' on a daily basis with their close neighbours....as too many birds in the air at once, homing in on the ledges/burrows might lead to some ''Auk-ward'' near misses. :-O

After a quick foray North from Haystack along the beach, a last look at Ecola creek and the ''settling pans'' adjacent to the RV parking lot, before checking out of our rooms, for a leisurely drive back on the 26 East to Portland, via the Rest Point and Forest Grove (University campus), famous for it's Acorn Woodpeckers...once you know the drill...they're relatively easy to find. ;) Stopping at the Rest Point, ''me and the boys'' (3 Grandson's), opted to ''slake our thirsts'' once again at the river, with moi going ahead (as they can be noisey!). Just as I stepped foot on to the bridge, a sudden movement caught my peripheral...which very nicely resulted in an American Dipper ...another ''trip tick''. Ensuring that we were keeping to schedule we pressed on to Forest Grove for a much hoped for AW rendezvous!, with coffee for me and the missus, and Ice Cream for ''the boys''. Almost an hour later we found ourselves sitting outside (30c+) in the shade of a Coffee Shop canopy, it was whilst we were
indulging, that I suddenly noted a movement from the top of an adjacent Telegraph pole....WOW I exclaimed! Adult and Juvenile Woodpeckers!!....To be continued

Attachments

• P1340509.jpeg   Western and Least Sandprs..jpg
    P1340509.jpeg Western and Least Sandprs..jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P1340514.jpeg   Glauc-wingd.Gull.jpg
    P1340514.jpeg Glauc-wingd.Gull.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1340790.jpeg   American Dipper 1..jpeg
    P1340790.jpeg American Dipper 1..jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P1350108.jpeg   AW and Juv..jpg
    P1350108.jpeg AW and Juv..jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 65
  • P1350098.jpeg  ACW. 5..jpg
    P1350098.jpeg ACW. 5..jpg
    64 KB · Views: 63
As we left our watering hole, then crossing the road to access the ''campus'' with it's c100' Douglas Fir, redwood and Oak sentinels, an Anna's Hummer was seen nectaring on one of the town's hanging baskets. How blissfully serene it was in the shade of these towering trees beneath which lay a carpet of closely manicured lawn. As of yet....fairly still, with no stirring in the trees, however this soon changed with the appearance of a Black-capped Chickadee, which seemed to be interacting with a White-breasted Nuthatch...and then a Downy Woodpecker!...imo much smarter than our Lesser Spotted. Eventually catching sight of an Acorn Woodpecker beneath the canopy, then moving towards my position and within range for a ''shot''.
Framing it, I pressed the shutter release, only to read the ''Card Full'' sign! As I only had the one card at the time, my only option was to delete as much as I could, in order to create enough space for ''shooting''. With head down this procedure took about 5mins., as I'd finished I noted a blurred movement land on the grass perhaps 5m away...two words rang out as I raised my ''bridge''. Not only could I not believe what had just taken place, but it was still there for perhaps 15 seconds!...let the camera roll!

Replete with frame fillers we ''mosi-ed'' back to the car and headed home to Portland noting Turkey Vulture en-route before closing the day's events with a cold beer! The next few days were relatively uneventful temps. in the 30's probably didn't help, adding Wrentit, and an Empid sp. On Monday 15th we headed East on the 405 via 26 East to Mount Hood c 12000', where we took the chairlift to the 7000' marker, and watched the ''snowboarders'' do their stuff! Although I scanned the snow fields...there would be no Grey-crowned Rosy-Finches for me on this trip just Raven and Dark-Eyed Junco. Tuesday 16th was a Birding ''day off',' spent the day at the pool with my grandsons. Wednesday 17th. found me on Mt Tabor an extinct volcano within the City limits of East Portland. Here I watched a mighty Cooper's Hawk being made to look quite pedestrian as it was being buzzed by Rufus and Anna's Hummers...no contest! as I added Spotted Towhee, Red-naped Sapsucker, Pine Siskin and Chestnut-backed Chickadee to my trip list. To be continued.....

Attachments

• P1350036.jpeg  Anna's 17..jpg
    P1350036.jpeg Anna's 17..jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1350026.jpeg  ACW 2..jpg
    P1350026.jpeg ACW 2..jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 55
  • P1350272.jpeg  ANNA'S DEF 2..jpg
    P1350272.jpeg ANNA'S DEF 2..jpg
    182 KB · Views: 44
  • P1350097.jpeg  ACW 4..jpg
    P1350097.jpeg ACW 4..jpg
    105 KB · Views: 50
  • P1350152.jpeg  Dark-eyed Junco 1..jpg
    P1350152.jpeg Dark-eyed Junco 1..jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 50
The next 3 days were kinda flat due to the high temperatures, however I'd planned my last trip to Washington Park which lies in NW Portland for Sunday 21st. the day before departure. An early rise had me on station in the park at 8am using the bus/max and legs....for the final ascent, which gives great views over the city and the majestic backdrop of Mt.Hood. It certainly made up for the previous 3 days, birds encountered included Imm.Red-tailed Hawk closely eyeing from a 30' perch, the loose flock of Am.Robins feeding beneath, in the leaf layer, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, Dark-Eyed Junco, Brown Creeper, Rufus and Anna's Hummers, Steller's Jay and two of my favourites Black-throated Gray Warbler and Pileated Woodpecker . To be continued.....

Attachments

• P1350477.jpeg  RTH 1..jpg
    P1350477.jpeg RTH 1..jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 58
  • P1350537.jpeg  RBN 2..jpg
    P1350537.jpeg RBN 2..jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1350551.jpeg  BTG 3..jpg
    P1350551.jpeg BTG 3..jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1350522.jpeg   Pileated 2..jpg
    P1350522.jpeg Pileated 2..jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P1350286.jpeg  BTG. 8..jpeg
    P1350286.jpeg BTG. 8..jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 54
The concluding part to this report. During the trip I'd spent countless hours attempting to image the magenta iridescence on the male Anna's Hummingbird throat. Without the benefit of access to a regular feeder, I had to track and find the subject bird, this in itself took many an hour, then once found, I could never find one with the required ''magenta''. However on the last day I finally succeeded!....Yes I wish I could have been closer...but I'm not grumbling. ;) Circa 70 species were logged during the 16 day trip, and I'll certainly go back! Cheers

Attachments

• P1350204.jpeg  RFH. 20..jpg
    P1350204.jpeg RFH. 20..jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1350243.jpeg   RFH. 26..jpg
    P1350243.jpeg RFH. 26..jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 52
  • P1350583.jpeg  SQ.1..jpg
    P1350583.jpeg SQ.1..jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 47
  • P1350542.jpeg  Def.1.Adult male Anna's.jpg
    P1350542.jpeg Def.1.Adult male Anna's.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 66
  • P1350270.jpeg  DEF.1. Anna's.jpg
    P1350270.jpeg DEF.1. Anna's.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 36
A wonderful report Ken on what sounds like a fantastic trip! I guess you'll never not have a spare card in your pocket from now on! Great birds seen and some great photos too, especially love the Hummer amid the Fuchsias!
Well done Mate and most importantly of all it sounds like you had some quality time with the grandchildren - I know how precious that is! Looking forward to your next jaunt!

Chris

A wonderful report Ken on what sounds like a fantastic trip! I guess you'll never not have a spare card in your pocket from now on! Great birds seen and some great photos too, especially love the Hummer amid the Fuchsias!
Well done Mate and most importantly of all it sounds like you had some quality time with the grandchildren - I know how precious that is! Looking forward to your next jaunt!

Chris

Glad you liked the shots Chris....and quite right a photographer should never leave home with just the one card! :t:

Am still jet-lagged to the point of "double-taking" every time I pass a "hanging basket". :-O

An enjoyable read Ken, cheers. Particularly like the shot of that hummer mid-twist on #10, very nicely encapsulates the manoeuvrability of these birds.

An enjoyable read Ken, cheers. Particularly like the shot of that hummer mid-twist on #10, very nicely encapsulates the manoeuvrability of these birds.

Thanks JWN....It's their ability to accelerate and stop on a sixpence that jaw drops! I never ceased to marvel at their manoeuvrability, especially when I saw 2 individuals (believed to be Rufous and Anna's) "toying" with a soaring Cooper's Hawk...It was made to look most pedestrian by comparison. cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back