• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large fly (1 Viewer)

andrew saunders

Half inch long, large fly with long antennae. Fell into allotment tank and frightened the tennant! London TW11

Attachments

• IMG-20230801-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230801-WA0002.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20230801-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230801-WA0004.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 11
Another good reason to always keep a top on a water tank in an allotment - along with;

stops mosquitoes breeding
stops algae growing
stops dead matter falling in and decomposing

Another good reason to always keep a top on a water tank in an allotment - along with;

stops mosquitoes breeding
stops algae growing
stops dead matter falling in and decomposing
I take your point about covering a tank. This one is a bath. Mosquito larvae wouldn't stand a chance, it gets emptied frequently. Sadly a kestrel drowned in a tank elsewhere on site. The nervous tenant who knows even less about insects than I do thought it might my be a bumble bee. Anyway it was left unmolested to dry out. Many thanks

I take your point about covering a tank. This one is a bath. Mosquito larvae wouldn't stand a chance, it gets emptied frequently. Sadly a kestrel drowned in a tank elsewhere on site. The nervous tenant who knows even less about insects than I do thought it might my be a bumble bee. Anyway it was left unmolested to dry out. Many thanks
Failing a cover, something for animals to climb out always useful, like some old rope or suitable slanted stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back