• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large hybrid(?) duck, London today (1 Viewer)

aliborb

United Kingdom
Another puzzle here, saw a large (doubleish the size of a Mallard) duck today in London. It had a dark greenish tail which made me think Mallard hybrid but I'm not too sure!PXL_20220219_085308206.jpg

Yes, that`s what it is.

Bu the bird left to it partly obscured by the branches of a shrub of the genus Cornus , is also a hybrid , I think? And if so, a more interesting one.

do you have any more photos of that one ???

Interesting, here are a couple more. There were lots of pochards and tufted ducks in the area

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_085307066.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220219_085307066.MP.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20220219_085305900.jpg
    PXL_20220219_085305900.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
The right bird is a classic mallard x Muscovy hybrid. The left one... from the first photo I thought it was just one of those urban Mallards with a bluish bill (I see these a lot and am never sure if it is indicative of domestic ancestry or just a hormone/nutrition/etc thing) but from the other photos it does look intriguing - head seems more brown/bronze than green, there doesn't seem to be a neck ring, and (while hard to tell with the branches in front of it) something does seem structurally "off" for a Mallard. I wonder about something like a backcross to Mallard from a Mallard x Pintail?

No , i think it is something else ,not a backcross (Pintail x Mallard) x Mallard. those are very close to mallard , would show the white neckring and would show a mallard tail lock, but wider than in pure mallard .
This bird looks as if it could be a dabbling duck x diving duck cross - but I wouldn´t like to guess the species combination from this... sorry to say, but we need better photos!

Where exactly was this?

Hmm, I thought it looked closer to wild-type Mallard than any F1 Mallard x other dabbling duck cross I could think of, hence thinking it could be a backcross! I certainly can't see it being any combination not involving Mallard.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back