• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large swift over San Antonio, TX (1 Viewer)

Chuppy

As I took a break from work today, I noticed two large swift-like birds flying overhead. They were flying relatively low and slow, at maybe second storey height, and they had the long, thin wings of swifts with a short, forked tail.
Unfortunately they were silhouetted against the low cloud and it was very dark from the storms we've been having so I didn't manage to see much in the way of detail.
I'd estimate the wing span was up to about 2 feet, they were by no means small birds, far larger than your regular swifts and swallows, but they definitely looked like swifts to me.
Right now I'm a bit stumped as to what they are. I've not been able to find anything in my local bird book. The two swifts it lists are far too small, and the only other idea I had would be a kite of some kind, but they don't seem to match either.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

If they were that big, they were almost certainly Nighthawks - probably Common Nighthawks, but possibly Lesser Nighthawks (I'm not sure they get up as far north as San Antonio).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back