• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark from Morocco and the gallery, June 2012 (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dunn's lark is getting split. The only image I can find in the gallery that might be correct for this species is this one from Merzouga, Morocco; however, this is north of where this bird is usually seen and according to the web, this species would not be regular there. So what is the true id - Dunn's or something else?

thanks
Niels

I have now discovered approved observations from Merzouga in 2010 and 2019, but so far not outside of those years.

Last edited:
Dunn's larks are notoriously tricky to ID from juvenile Black-headed Sparrowlarks, but to me this one looks like Dunn's, the bill shape is right. All the desert species are occasionally seen in in Merzouga, so I wouldn't be that surprised to have it there.

Dunn's lark is getting split. The only image I can find in the gallery that might be correct for this species is this one from Merzouga, Morocco; however, this is north of where this bird is usually seen and according to the web, this species would not be regular there. So what is the true id - Dunn's or something else?

thanks
Niels

I have now discovered approved observations from Merzouga in 2010 and 2019, but so far not outside of those years.
Maghreb Ornitho is a good source of bird summaries for this area. See Dunn’s Lark at Merzouga, Morocco - MaghrebOrnitho

The species is notoriously nomadic and follows rains across the Saharan edge. It bred in 2010 and there were few records from 2011 to 2019.

I seem to remember a record or two in 2020 as well, but haven't checked. It was very dry during the winters of 2019/2020 & 2020/2021 to the extent that Dayet Srij, the fresh water lake that covered c 4 sq km in autumn 2019, was down to a few puddles in Spring 2020 & non existent since.

On that basis, probably not a good time to try there at the moment.

Last edited:
Image is certainly a Dunn’s Lark

I’ve no special info about its presence at Merzouga in 2012 but we saw one there in 2019

Cheers

James

Edit: Muppit’s link on magornitho details a record in June 2012 (perhaps by the gallery contributor?)

Last edited:
Thank you all. The date on the photo I linked to is June 7, exactly one of the two days in 2012 mentioned with observations in the link given by muppit. I am therefore going to believe the id. This will now become the image in our opus page.
Niels

I have an Arabian Dunn's Lark photo actually :) I just don't put photos to the gallery here (it's simply too much work). But it's roughly as good as this one, so it wouldn't be an improvement anyway.

Thank you! We actually have three images in the gallery already of what is now Arabian Lark.
Niels

I have an Arabian Dunn's Lark photo actually :) I just don't put photos to the gallery here (it's simply too much work). But it's roughly as good as this one, so it wouldn't be an improvement anyway.

Linked photo is from Maroko (=Morocco?)
Is there another photo of Arabian DL?
James

Thanks Jan,
if I understand the information correctly, this was taken on 30.12.2016. Can you say anything about where in Morocco?
Niels

This is from Aousserd road, Western Sahara, there is a report by me from that somewhere around but I can't find it on my phone.

Dunn's larks are notoriously tricky to ID from juvenile Black-headed Sparrowlarks, but to me this one looks like Dunn's, the bill shape is right. All the desert species are occasionally seen in in Merzouga, so I wouldn't be that surprised to have it there.
Just thought I would clarify one thing. Although Dunn's occur together with Black-crowned Sparrow-Lark in Western Sahara, (inc Aousserd Rd) I am fairly certain there have been no records of BC SL around Merzouga. This makes direct confusion less of an issue. (until the first turns up!)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back