• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark in Kerala (India) (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

I'm sorting a bunch of photos of Malabar Larks such shown on the first photo ; all taken in the last 6 days. On one of these photos, the second one joined here, the bird seems to have a much thinner bill appearing slightly hooked. Although I didn't hear any skylark call there, I wonder if this is a Malabar L. with a thin bill, an Oriental Skylark with a long crest... or something I missed ?

Sultan Bathery, Kerala, India.

Thanks

Attachments

• Galerida_malabarica_3_cochevis_de_malabar_lark_kerala_inde_endemique.JPG
    Galerida_malabarica_3_cochevis_de_malabar_lark_kerala_inde_endemique.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Galerida_malabarica_4_cochevis_de_malabar_lark_kerala_inde_endemique.JPG
    Galerida_malabarica_4_cochevis_de_malabar_lark_kerala_inde_endemique.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 39
Everything seems fine for Malabar lark other than (perhaps) the bill - thus presumably far more likely to be a Malabar lark with an unusual bill (if it is unusual) than to be some other option with a bizarrely long crest.

I'm pretty sure it won't be it, but there's also the possibility of an out-of-range Crested Lark.
Upperparts are way too heavily streaked and bill has wrong structure (heavier + deeper-based) for Crested which is an extremely unlikely candidate out of range.

Both are Malabar Larks IMO Valery. Bill structure is quite variable, therefore merely highlighting said variation + r/h bird has a slightly elongated (deformed) upper mandible Malabar Lark - Galerida malabarica - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

Grahame

Upperparts are way too heavily streaked and bill has wrong structure (heavier + deeper-based) for Crested which is an extremely unlikely candidate out of range.

Both are Malabar Larks IMO Valery. Bill structure is quite variable, therefore merely highlighting said variation + r/h bird has a slightly elongated (deformed) upper mandible Malabar Lark - Galerida malabarica - Media Search - Macaulay Library and eBird

Grahame
Very helpful, Grahame, as usual. Thanks. Thank you 01101001 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back