• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larus sp Lithuania (1 Viewer)

marius.k

Hello,
Any thoughts on this gull from Lithuania, Vilnius?
argentatus, cachinans or hybrid?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1612282052713.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612282052713.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 76
  • FB_IMG_1612282063610.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612282063610.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 76
I hoped for comments, but as no one has answered yet, I make a start (no definite answer):
its an 2 cy Herring-Gull- type for me.
First impression (including shape with "normal" bill and short legs) is good for a Herring Gull, I think it wouldnt stand out in a Herring Gull flock .
But knowing it was seen in Lithuania, its good to check it for cachinnans-features:
-extensive dark tertials with worn off, but right looking pale edges (hard to judge due to wear).
- washed smooth fine barring to greater coverts gradually merging into a uniform smooth dark area, like a diluted water-colour painting.
-if you are looking hard enough (it isnt easy, but you can do this, just trust in your Jedi-skills), you can imagine, that the 100% ID-book Herring Gull-barring to upperpart-feathers is shifted slightly towards a cachinnans-pattern.

All this is sure within variation for a Herring Gull, but I think this bird highlights the problem well:
with such an extensive introgression/hybridisation in Herring, Caspian and other Gull-species, a large gull is often, what the experts say it is. They define the phenotypical boundaries for one species here.
This definition, what, for example an acceptable Caspian Gull looks like, and a definition of acceptable limits in variation, is one thing, that I hope the new Gull-ID-Guide provides, actually an update of previous work in this case (so maybe work in progress?).

So if this bird is a 2cy, i.e. born in 2020 and has what looks like a lot of grey second gen lesser and median coverts then wouldn't this point against Herring Gull? Agree on points made about structure.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back