• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (16 Viewers)

It basically boils down to 'These splits are very old'

That's what I suspected. I vaguely remember reading something in the last year proposing several potential order splits based on age of divergence. I can't remember if it was a scientific article, a blog or possibly even a post here. I think there were a couple of others apart from the Strisores.

First, the current situation was wrong: you can't have caprimulgiformes & apodiformes with their old composition
So there are 2 options:
1: if you want to keep all the nocturnal groups together, you have to merge apodiformes into caprimulgiformes, making it a mixed bag of very different things, keeping together some clades that are older then a lot of other orders
2: splitting all the nocturnal groups

Every proposal i've seen goes for option 2, except HBW-birdlife, who went for option 1.
I've not seen any proposals in between - it'd be rather arbitrary - why keep some of these together? might as well keep everything in 1 order then...

as a sidenote, HBW-birdlife also lumps all of paleognathae into struthioniformes, which is somewhat of the same argumentation.

Birds of the World/Clements/Cornell and H&M4 (Cracraft's taxonomy) also lump all into one order, so the IOC is the first of the four major checklists to take this step. Recent phylogenetic studies like Brawn et al (2019) and Kuhl et al (2020) also use one order, so my impression was the the lumpers had won this one.

Birds of the World/Clements/Cornell and H&M4 (Cracraft's taxonomy) also lump all into one order, so the IOC is the first of the four major checklists to take this step. Recent phylogenetic studies like Brawn et al (2019) and Kuhl et al (2020) also use one order, so my impression was the the lumpers had won this one.
Because they use the current classification used by the different sources, probably for convenience, but that does not mean that they agree with this conception.

Moreover, there is a paper published in Vertebrate Zoology which the authors reclassifies the strisores and by recognizing several orders including the Aegotheliformes 🤷

A recent diary entry "Revise linear sequence and genera of Turdidae" includes changing the name Turdus mupinensis to Otochichla mupinensis. This looked odd to me, I thought the genus name should be Otocichla to match all of the other "cichla" names.

But both names can be found on the web with what looks like similar authority. So I searched out the reference Nylander et al. (2008) which is "Accounting for Phylogenetic Uncertainty in Biogeography: A Bayesian Approach to Dispersal-Vicariance Analysis of the Thrushes (Aves: Turdus)". Unfortunately that didn't clarify anything for me because neither of those names is mentioned in that paper.

Does anybody know which is correct? My money is on Otocichla but I could be wrong.

name : Otocichla
author : Wolters
year : 1980
OD reference : Wolters HE. 1975-1982. Die Vogelarten der Erde. Eine systematische Liste mit Verbreitungsangaben sowie deutschen und englischen Namen. Paul Parey, Hamburg & Berlin.
page : 405
OD link : [seen but not found online.]
included nominal species : Cichloselys mupinensis
type species : Turdus mupinensis Laubmann 1920
type species valid syn. : in use
fixation by : original designation
fixation ref : as OD
page : as OD
fixation link : as OD
type OD ref : Laubmann A. 1920. Ein neuer Name für Turdus auritus Verr. Ornithol. Monatsber., 28: 17.
page : 17
type OD link : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/32581928
notes : As a subgenus of Cichloselys
ICZN : n/a
online publication : n/a
available : yes
family : Turdidae

A recent diary entry "Revise linear sequence and genera of Turdidae" includes changing the name Turdus mupinensis to Otochichla mupinensis. This looked odd to me, I thought the genus name should be Otocichla to match all of the other "cichla" names.

But both names can be found on the web with what looks like similar authority. So I searched out the reference Nylander et al. (2008) which is "Accounting for Phylogenetic Uncertainty in Biogeography: A Bayesian Approach to Dispersal-Vicariance Analysis of the Thrushes (Aves: Turdus)". Unfortunately that didn't clarify anything for me because neither of those names is mentioned in that paper.

Does anybody know which is correct? My money is on Otocichla but I could be wrong.

Otocichla. My typo. Apologies.

David

Wolters long description of this genus infers he never thought he was naming a new genus for Nesoctitinae. (Short)

Mar 19 Post accepted split of Tenggara Paradise Flycatcher from Blyth's Paradise Flycatcher.

Is Tenggara without Nusa really appropriate? Tenggara means "southeastern" and is used for other areas as well.

I'm one up from this.

Mar 19 Post accepted split of Tenggara Paradise Flycatcher from Blyth's Paradise Flycatcher.

Mar 15 Post proposed split of Dyak Blue Flycatcher from Javan Blue Flycatcher.

Mar 14 Split Strisores into six orders rather than two. Add Steatornithiformes, Nyctibiiformes, Podargiformes and Aegotheliformes.

Mar 14 Post proposed split of Horsfield's Thrush from Scaly Thrush.

Mar 14 Split Taiwan Thrush Turdus niveiceps from Island Thrush Turdus poliocephalus.

Mar 14 Move Boulder Chat Pinarornis plumosus from Muscicapidae to Turdidae.

Mar 14 Revise linear sequence and genera of Turdidae.

Mar 13 Revise linear sequence and genera of Hirundinidae.

A lucky pick-up at Km 23 on Dasyueshan, at the fruiting tree, where we saw single female or immature birds on two days. Good to see this very distinctive taxon split by most now, been waiting since I first saw it in 2003!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back