• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (11 Viewers)

But then we would have to deal with rants about HOW DARE AMERICAN IMPERIALISTS RENAME OUR GULL which happens every time one of these lists suggests a new name for a British species.
Post 731, David Donsker writes........

The preference of the IOC World Bird List is to defer to the NACC/AOS on English names for those species whose breeding ranges are strictly native to the NACC's region of coverage.

Post 731, David Donsker writes........

The preference of the IOC World Bird List is to defer to the NACC/AOS on English names for those species whose breeding ranges are strictly native to the NACC's region of coverage.
This was in response to the mention of renaming Common Gull = Eurasian Mew Gull that one poster suggested

How do you brittons casually call larus canus anyway? Do you say mew or common?

For some reason in Czech, we call them "storm gulls" and we do not have any "common" gull at all and while I refer to most Larus gulls by their english or latin names, for canus, I mainly think the Czech one first, because none of the English ones feels right. "Mew" is just weird and "Common" is in stark contrast with how uncommon it is in most places I visit :)

This was in response to the mention of renaming Common Gull = Eurasian Mew Gull that one poster suggested
I know that but it would be unlikely on the IOC as per Davids comment, if it originated from the US.

For some reason in Czech, we call them "storm gulls" and we do not have any "common" gull at all and while I refer to most Larus gulls by their english or latin names, for canus, I mainly think the Czech one first, because none of the English ones feels right. "Mew" is just weird and "Common" is in stark contrast with how uncommon it is in most places I visit :)
Common.

From a British perspective, this seems an absolutely horrible proposal. Common Gull is in universal usage, and Mew Gull widely recognised as referring to the North American form.
I'm scratching my head trying to understand the sense in switching Mew Gull to the European form and creating a new name for the American.

The derivation of the name "Common" supposedly derives from its habit of nesting inland on "common land", rather than a reference to its abundance.

The derivation of the name "Common" supposedly derives from its habit of nesting inland on "common land", rather than a reference to its abundance.
This is similar to what I have heard: the gull found in "the commons"
Niels

The Czech name was probably derived from the German one of the same meaning. Whereas "mew" probably derives from Dutch Meeuw (spelling?), cognate with other Germanic terms such as Möwe, Måge, or Mauge, all meaning "gull". Which makes "mew gull" a pleonasm of sorts, but it's still a traditional and widely used name, at least in North America. Also short and easy to pronounce.

From a British perspective, this seems an absolutely horrible proposal. Common Gull is in universal usage, and Mew Gull widely recognised as referring to the North American form.
I'm scratching my head trying to understand the sense in switching Mew Gull to the European form and creating a new name for the American.
This is how it sits with me too. I've always thought all UK birders have always called L.canus sensu lato Common Gull, and I've always thought American birders call L Canus sensu lato Mew Gull. I've even heard of suspected brachyrynchus in the UK being referred to as possible Mew Gull, and everyone knows that means the American one. For me it makes total sense to call the American birds Mew Gull and carry on calling the others Common Gull. I'd be surprised if that's not what a large number of UK birders will end up carrying on doing under most circumstances.

Makes no sense at all IMHO.

This is how it sits with me too. I've always thought all UK birders have always called L.canus sensu lato Common Gull, and I've always thought American birders call L Canus sensu lato Mew Gull. I've even heard of suspected brachyrynchus in the UK being referred to as possible Mew Gull, and everyone knows that means the American one. For me it makes total sense to call the American birds Mew Gull and carry on calling the others Common Gull. I'd be surprised if that's not what a large number of UK birders will end up carrying on doing under most circumstances.
Edit: since I misread the comments

Like I said before, we get both gulls here. The change is being made to make things less confusing. If mew gull was maintained we would have people continuing entering Mew Gull for Northeastern US records, which probably pertain to Common Gull.

I know very well that what I am going to say will bring controversy but I firmly believe that all the names of birds that contain the word "common" should be replaced since that term is derogatory.
There is no doubt that the term is used to emphasize that the species is ordinary and of little value due to its abundance, despite other approaches that associate it with the land.
Common chaffinch, common redpoll, common reed bunting, common linnet, common yellowthroat, common nightingale, common redstart, common whitethroat, common kestrel...
We are often resistant to change and we don’t realize that change itself is constant. Changes trigger progress. Things move forward and develop because of them.

My understanding is that Mew Gull won't be used for either after the split. This seems sensible to avoid ambiguity.

but it's still a traditional and widely used name, at least in North America. Also short and easy to pronounce.
Yet it's never really been a name that applied specifically to brachyrhynchus.
"Mew Gull" is an old American name for European canus; brachyrhynchus is now called by that name in America only as a result of it having been lumped with the "Mew Gull" of Europe in the past, and the American authorities having then transferred the name they were using for the nominal race to the broad-sense species.
Before that lump, we had:

Last edited:
I know very well that what I am going to say will bring controversy but I firmly believe that all the names of birds that contain the word "common" should be replaced since that term is derogatory.
There is no doubt that the term is used to emphasize that the species is ordinary and of little value due to its abundance, despite other approaches that associate it with the land.
Common chaffinch, common redpoll, common reed bunting, common linnet, common yellowthroat, common nightingale, common redstart, common whitethroat, common kestrel...
We are often resistant to change and we don’t realize that change itself is constant. Changes trigger progress. Things move forward and develop because of them.
See DMW's commenet about the name Common as applied to the gull: The derivation of the name "Common" supposedly derives from its habit of nesting inland on "common land", rather than a reference to its abundance. Seems a good name to me and the one I've always used for the Palaearctic ones

My understanding is that Mew Gull won't be used for either after the split. This seems sensible to avoid ambiguity.
As others have stated, there would be no ambiguity, in the UK at least as Mew has always meant the American form and Common the European.

What you've posted isn't really controversial at all. What it is, though, is that it is very narrowly selective. Why do I suggest that? Just take a look at this typical dictionary entry:

"COMMON:
adjective: common; comparative adjective: commoner; superlative adjective: commonest
1. occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.
"salt and pepper are the two most common seasonings"

Similar to:
usual, ordinary, customary, habitual, familiar, regular, frequent, repeated, recurrent, routine, everyday, daily, day-to-day, quotidian, standard, typical, conventional, stock, stereotyped, predictable, commonplace, mundane, run-of-the-mill, wonted, widespread, general, universal, popular, mainstream, prevalent, prevailing, rife. established, well established, traditional, traditionalist, orthodox, accepted, in circulation, in force, in vogue

Opposite to:
unusual, rare

(of an animal or plant) found or living in relatively large numbers; not rare.
"you might spot less common birds such as the great spotted woodpecker"
denoting the most widespread or typical species of an animal or plant.
"the common gull
"

ordinary; of ordinary qualities; without special rank or position.
"the dwellings of common people"

(of a quality) of a sort or level to be generally expected.
"common decency"

of the most familiar type.
"the common or vernacular name"

shared by, coming from, or done by two or more people, groups, or things.
"the two republics' common border"
belonging to or involving the whole of a community or the public at large.
"common land"

MATHEMATICS
belonging to two or more quantities.

BRITISH
showing a lack of taste and refinement supposedly typical of the lower classes; vulgar.
"she's so common"
Similar to: uncouth, vulgar, coarse, rough, unsavoury, boorish, rude, impolite, ill-mannered, unladylike, ungentlemanly, ill-bred, uncivilized, unsophisticated, unrefined, philistine, primitive, savage, brutish, oafish, gross, lowly, low, low-born, low-ranking, low-class, inferior, humble, ignoble, proletarian, plebeian, plebby, slobbish, cloddish, clodhopping, common as muck, baseborn

Opposite to: refined, noble

GRAMMAR
(in Latin, Dutch, and certain other languages) of or denoting a gender of nouns that are conventionally regarded as masculine or feminine, contrasting with neuter.
(in English) denoting a noun that refers to individuals of either sex (e.g. teacher ).

PROSODY
(of a syllable) able to be either short or long.

LAW
(of a crime) of lesser severity.
"common assault"

noun
noun: common; plural noun: commons; noun: right of common; plural noun: rights of common
a piece of open land for public use.
"we spent the morning tramping over the common looking for flowers"
INFORMAL•BRITISH
common sense.
(in the Christian Church) a form of service used for each of a group of occasions.
ENGLISH LAW
a person's right over another's land, e.g. for pasturage or mineral extraction."

My understanding is that the use of the modifier 'common' in ornithology and birding is limited to the meaning of the adjective as defined in my blue text in Section 1, which covers the principal usages.

If I read your post correctly, you consider all uses of the modifier 'common' in ornithology and birding to be limited to the meaning of Section 3, which covers a usage, a British idiom, that is far from major, and that all the rest of the ornithological world has to do is agree with you...

I agree that this British idiom is clearly based on snobbery and condescension, but that idiom has never been widespread in ornithological usage, if indeed it was ever intended that way.
MJB

It's an interesting point of view, and does perhaps highlight the difference between "vernacular" common names, and "invented" common names. You will struggle to find any British birder who uses the name Common Nightingale or Common Chaffinch in conversation. If somebody tells you that they heard a Nightingale last week, or have a few Chaffinches visiting their feeder, it is taken for granted that it wasn't a Thrush Nightingale, or a vagrant Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch. Off the top of my head, I can only think of four regular British species where the modifier Common is in everyday usage (Sandpiper, Tern, Gull and Scoter).

The issue of modifiers arises more in formal literature where more precision is required. In a wider European context, Nightingale is ambiguous, so it makes sense to add a modifier. Maybe "Just a Regular Nightingale" might be more authentic 😉

It's an interesting point of view, and does perhaps highlight the difference between "vernacular" common names, and "invented" common names. You will struggle to find any British birder who uses the name Common Nightingale or Common Chaffinch in conversation. If somebody tells you that they heard a Nightingale last week, or have a few Chaffinches visiting their feeder, it is taken for granted that it wasn't a Thrush Nightingale, or a vagrant Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch. Off the top of my head, I can only think of four regular British species where the modifier Common is in everyday usage (Sandpiper, Tern, Gull and Scoter).

The issue of modifiers arises more in formal literature where more precision is required. In a wider European context, Nightingale is ambiguous, so it makes sense to add a modifier. Maybe "Just a Regular Nightingale" might be more authentic 😉
Common Crossbill makes five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back