• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (4 Viewers)

Thanks James, Alex.

No mention of DNA analysis and I thought I read recently that the 'Tobias criteria' were being abandoned by many scientists or have I got that wrong?

Last edited:
You have White-faced Plover? Seems pretty hard, considering that "proper" Kentish overlaps with it and White-faced is rare (Chandler's Shorebirds of "Northern hemisphere" even says that it's not exactly known where it breeds) and looking at the pictures, one really needs a very good look to ID it.

Really easy to see on the south China coast and not difficult to ID once you know what to look for. Occurs alongside Kentish in winter, with differences in habitat preference, but ID is of course even easier in summer when Kentish aren't present. We even have a breeding record in Hong Kong now.

A lot of re-ordering going on.

I see the name 'Penhallurick, I assume this is John whom I met once in Thailand, he was latterly, pretty ill, anyone know if he's still alive?

July 1 Revise sequence in Leiothrichidae based on Cai et al. (2019).

July 1 Recognize the family Alcippeidae composed of the fulvettas remaining in Alcippe (not moved to Schoeniparus) which are separated from the ground babblers (Pellorneidae) due to deep genetic divergence. It is a sister clade to Leiothrichidae (Moyle et al. 2012; Cai et al. 2019).

July 1 Revise sequence and genera in Pellorneidae based primarily on Cai et al. (2019)

July 1 Revise sequence and genera in Timaliidae based primarily on Cai et al. (2019)

June 29 Recognize Paradoxornithidae as a family separate from Sylviidae and revise sequence and genera within that family Cai et al. (2019) and modified by Penhallurick & Robson (2009). In addition to the parrotbill genera, Paradoxornithidae also includes: Myzornis, Moupinia, Lioparus, Chrysomma, Rhopophilus, Fulvetta, and Chamaea.

June 29 Revise sequence and genera in Sylviidae based primarily on Cai et al. (2019)

June 28 Move PL of Canary Islands Oystercatcher and AL of Black-headed and Venezuelan Fruiteaters to inactive catergory.

I see the name 'Penhallurick, I assume this is John whom I met once in Thailand, he was latterly, pretty ill, anyone know if he's still alive?
Andy, if you are talking of the Australian ornithologist John Penhallurick (who ran Worldbirdinfo), I'm sad to inform you that he seems to have passed in 2014. See, for example, here, or elsewhere.

R.I.P.
--

Last edited:
Regarding Crested Argus, I think an urgent conservation action is needed.

Edward's Pheasant has been extinct in the wild for a decade, mammals kouprey and saola are probably extinct too. Edward's pheasants are living well in cages, but there is no Crested Argus of any form breeding in human care.

Andy, if you are talking of the Australian ornithologist John Penhallurick (who ran Worldbirdinfo), I'm sad to inform you that he seems to have passed in 2014. See, for example, here, or elsewhere.

R.I.P.
--

Yes, that's him, thanks for the news.

We met him at the Gurneys Pitta site in Thailand where he was elated at having a brief, flight view of a female after being on site for a week!

John seemed like a nice man.

July 3 Move PS of Great White Heron and Haida Gwaii Saw-whet Owl to inactive category (AOS Checklist, 61st Supplement Chesser et al. (2020).

Presumably that means they're waiting for more information to be published before they make a decision

Some Tapaculo action...............

Diary

July 30 Accept three newly described Scytalopus species, White-winged Tapaculo S. krabbei, Jalca Tapaculo S. frankeae, and Ampay Tapaculo S. whitneyi (SACC 852, SACC 853, SACC 854).

July 30 Accept split of Loja Tapaculo Scytalopus androstictus from Paramo Tapaculo S. opacus. (SACC 855).

Aug 5 Post proposed split of Magellanic Snipe Gallinago magellanica from South American Snipe Gallinago paraguaiae.

Aug 5 Post proposed split of Yungas Sparrow Rhynchospiza dabbenei from Stripe-capped (Chaco) Sparrow Rhynchospiza strigiceps.

Aug 5 Post actual lump of Mato Grosso Swift Chaetura viridipennis with Chapman’s Swift C. chapmani.

Aug 5 Post actual split of Ashy-tailed Swift, Chaetura andrei from Vaux’s Swift Chaetura vauxi.

Aug 4 Accept spit (sic) of Utcumbamba Tapaculo Scytalopus intermedius from Blackish Tapaculo S. latrans.

Aug 4 Accept split of Diamantina Sabrewing Campylopterus diamantinensis from Grey-breasted Sabrewing C. largipennis.

How are these splits getting done so quickly after proposal, just two days?

Aug 7 Accept split of Magellanic Snipe Gallinago magellanica from South American Snipe Gallinago paraguaiae.

Aug 7 Accept split of Yungas Sparrow Rhynchospiza dabbenei from Stripe-capped (Chaco) Sparrow Rhynchospiza strigiceps.

Andy,

How are these splits getting done so quickly after proposal, just two days?

These have already been accepted and openly discussed by the SACC which we closely monitor concurrently as the case is being evaluated by that regional checklist committee. So they have been pondered for quite some time by us. In these recent cases, the IOC is playing catch-up. We should have listed them all as PS cases when they were first posted by the SACC but got behind the eight-ball in that regard while we were focused on the massive IOC 10.2 update.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back