• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (6 Viewers)

By the way, what is the pronunciation of Radde’s? Is it radeez or rads?
He was Prussian (not Russian).
In German, the stress is on the first syllable of the name, and the final -e is a distinctly voiced schwa -- i.e., it is neither pronounced ee (radeez), nor mute (rads). Perhaps raddus might better approach the original ? (I don't think I've heard it pronounced this way by anybody in English, though.)

He was Prussian (not Russian).
In German, the stress is on the first syllable of the name, and the final -e is a distinctly voiced schwa -- i.e., it is neither pronounced ee (radeez), nor mute (rads). Perhaps raddus might better approach the original ? (I don't think I've heard it pronounced this way by anybody in English, though.)
In English, it's probably best to pronounce the name as RAH-dih, stressed as you stated, and add a customary 'sz' sound to the possessive. 🥂, Laurent!
MJB

In English, it's probably best to pronounce the name as RAH-dih, stressed as you stated, and add a customary 'sz' sound to the possessive. 🥂, Laurent!
MJB
Never hearde it caled anything other thans Rads, in the UK, regardless of right or wrong but this is the guy who was calling Treepies 'Treepees' until my error was pointed out, have no idea how I came up with that!

Gotta go, there's a Magpee in my garden and it's a Cyprus tick :rolleyes:

Never hearde it caled anything other thans Rads, in the UK, regardless of right or wrong but this is the guy who was calling Treepies 'Treepees' until my error was pointed out, have no idea how I came up with that!

Gotta go, there's a Magpee in my garden and it's a Cyprus tick :rolleyes:
When I started out birding, I thought Scoter was pronounced Scooter...

A Leicestershire birder who sadly died this month spent his whole birding life seeing Glaushous Gulls whilst everyone else was watching Glaucous. Better than the Glucose Gulls that some seem to see I suppose.

Jan 8 Begin conversion to IOC 12.1.

Jan 8 Restore Sundaic and Philippine subspecies of Acrocephalus stentoreus back to that species. Revert English name of Acrocephalus australis back to Australian Reed Warbler.

Dec 30 Move Sulawesi Thrush from the monotypic genus Cataponera to Turdus.

Jan 8 Begin conversion to IOC 12.1.

Jan 8 Restore Sundaic and Philippine subspecies of Acrocephalus stentoreus back to that species. Revert English name of Acrocephalus australis back to Australian Reed Warbler.
Is there a discussion of this somewhere? While harterti may not belong with australis It doesn't fit well with stentoreus.

Is there a discussion of this somewhere? While harterti may not belong with australis It doesn't fit well with stentoreus.
Perhaps James Eaton can throw some light on this, considering Eaton et al 2021? Might there possibly be an intermediate species between stentoreus and australis? Or perhaps the alignment of the World Lists had some influence...?
MJB
Eaton JA, B van Balen, NW Brickle & FE Rheindt. 2021. Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago: Greater Sundas and Wallacea. Second Edition. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona.

The mtDNA sequences that are in GenBank (cytb of 3 harterti from the Philippines, 1 from Helbig & Seibold 1999 [DOI link], 2 from Fregin et al 2012 [pdf]; partial cytb, nd2 and atp8 from 2 sumbae from Guadalcanal, Cibois et al 2011 [pdf]) place harterti with stentoreus and sumbae with australis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back