• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (1 Viewer)

Apr 20 Post proposed lump of Archer's Buzzard with Augur Buzzard.

Apr 20 Change the English name of Caridonax fulgidus from Glittering Kingfisher to the nearly universally used White-rumped Kingfisher.

Apr 21 Post proposed lump of Usambara Eagle-Owl with Fraser's Eagle-Owl.

Apr 21 Post proposed split of Tasmanian Boobook from Morepork.

MJB

Eutriorchis within Circaetinae ??? I feel bad with my phylogeny

Wikipedia actually agrees... ;)
(...albeit admittedly with a footnote suggesting it may not be correct. Eutriorchis has been placed in the Polyboroides/Gypaetinae/Perninae clade by two studies (one of which was never published), but which subfamily it should be part of, is not clear (the two studies suggested different relationships, in both cases without good support). So, this might arguably be a case of retaining an old classification system which is known to be incorrect, because there is no confidence about what the correct treatment should be.)

Harpyhaliaetus merged in Buteogallus but nevertheless retained in Harpiinae is interesting, too...

Last edited:
Wikipedia actually agrees... ;)
(...albeit admittedly with a footnote suggesting it may not be correct. Eutriorchis has been placed in the Polyboroides/Gypaetinae/Perninae clade by two studies (one of which was never published), but which subfamily it should be part of, is not clear (the two studies suggested different relationships, in both cases without good support). So, this might arguably be a case of retaining an old classification system which is known to be incorrect, because there is no confidence about what the correct treatment should be.)

Harpyhaliaetus merged in Buteogallus but nevertheless retained in Harpiinae is interesting, too...
Wikipedia, c'est de la m**** as said Jean-Pierre Coffe

Which studies?

Lerner and Mindell (2005) has Eutriorchis as sister Gypaetus+Neophron in Gypaetinae. Then two more recent reports, Nagy & Tökölyi (2014) and Mindell et al (2018), have it sister to Leptodon+Chondrohierax in Perninae.

The IOC doesn't do subfamilies but their sequence seems to follow Mindell et al (2018). However they place Eutriorchis ambiguously between the unequivocal Gypaetinae and Perninae genera.

Last edited:
Which studies?

What I had in mind was Lerner & Mindell 2005 and Annett Kocum's thesis ("Phylogenie der Accipitriformes (Greifvögel) anhand verschiedener nuklearer und mitochondrialer DNA-Sequenzen", 2006), which used to be online on a university website somewhere, but which I currently only find here.
I had lost sight of Mindell et al 2018.

Eutriorchis was united to Gypaetinae in Lerner & Mindell 2005 with low Bayesian support (PP=.88) and based on mitochondrial sequences only.
It was united to Perninae in the thesis, with good Bayesian support (PP=1), but no support at all in ML and NJ analyses.
In Mindell et al 2018, the authors used a supermatrix composed of "published sequence data (GenBank; ncbi.nlm.nih.gov) from the studies referenced above"; I assume that, for this species, they included both the mitochondrial sequences of Lerner & Mindell 2005, as well as Annett Kocum's MYC sequence, which is in GenBank too (despite no published study which would have used this sequence had been, so far as I can assess, "referenced above"). In their tree, Eutriorchis ended up united to Perninae -- as in the thesis -- with a Bayesian support that appeared fairly good too -- albeit not as good as in the thesis ("*" = PP between .95 and .99); no ML or NJ analyses were performed, thus we can't tell if the lack of ML/NJ support found in the thesis was remedied or not.

Still ambiguous, in my opinion.

Last edited:
True -- externally, it looks more pernine than gypaetine.
(Note that the question is not necessarily limited to whether it is one or the other. E.g., we should also be able to exclude the possibility that it might be basal to both, with the gypaetine "particular morphology" being apomorphic.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back