• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (3 Viewers)

Aug 3 Lump Long-tailed Sabrewing with Curve-winged Sabrewing.
This is unclear to me. IOC has three species in this area: Curve-winged, Wedge-tailed, and Long-tailed. NACC had two: Wedge-tailed (including Curve-winged) and Long-tailed, and it is lumping those two. So does IOC propose to lump all three of their species to match NACC? Or does it propose to lump only those two and end up with Wedge-tailed and Curve-winged (including Long-tailed)?

This is unclear to me. IOC has three species in this area: Curve-winged, Wedge-tailed, and Long-tailed. NACC had two: Wedge-tailed (including Curve-winged) and Long-tailed, and it is lumping those two. So does IOC propose to lump all three of their species to match NACC? Or does it propose to lump only those two and end up with Wedge-tailed and Curve-winged (including Long-tailed)?
Certainly needs some clarification..

It's controversial, but for now IOC will retain Wedge-tailed Sabrewing as a separate species from Curved-winged Sabrewing (including excellens) contra NACC.

Not quite. The link to IOC 12.2 red (the copy with the new entries and text changes since IOC 12.1 highlighted in red font) is active. The others not quite yet.
At present the link "Life List+ (v12.2 Excel File XLSX, 3.0Mb)" is the one containing the 12.2 updates. The link "Life List+ (v12.2 red, Excel File XLSX, 3.4Mb)" doesn't appear to include any 12.2 updates -- at least, I looked for three of them and none were there.

At present the link "Life List+ (v12.2 Excel File XLSX, 3.0Mb)" is the one containing the 12.2 updates. The link "Life List+ (v12.2 red, Excel File XLSX, 3.4Mb)" doesn't appear to include any 12.2 updates -- at least, I looked for three of them and none were there.
Yes, we thought that we'd successfully downloaded the correct 12.2 red version, but clearly not. Others have also noted. We're working on it. Thanks.

I thought Lesser Sand Plover was being split this time round?
So as we currently stand, still just Greater and Lesser Sand Plover from a British perspective? Scottish Crossbill still a species? Common, Lesser, and Arctic Redpoll all still separate species?
Have the BOURC/BBRC indicated changing their position on the status of Lesser Short-toed Lark following the previous iteration?
Thanks.

The Sand Plover split was in the proposed splits page, but birds that show up there don't necessarily end up getting split. It COULD be split in the next update, 2 years from now, or never. Best chance of it happening is probably waiting for Charadriidae to be covered by the WGAC, which haven't gotten to that family yet.

I don't think there is anything particularly brand new with the redpolls or crossbills, so that is another case where I would not expect to see changes until WGAC gets to Fringillidae.

Western Osprey?
Looking at V12.2, if you've now lumped the former Western & Eastern Ospreys, why to keep 'Western' in the name of a species you give a range of 'Worldwide' to?

Surely Osprey is enough now?

Western Osprey?
Looking at V12.2, if you've now lumped the former Western & Eastern Ospreys, why to keep 'Western' in the name of a species you give a range of 'Worldwide' to?

Surely Osprey is enough now?
The English name for Pandion haliaetus has been changed to simply Osprey as should be reflected in the downloadable 12.2 Excel files and as announced in the English name updates. Perhaps you are looking at the BOW (Birds of the World) pages which haven't been updated yet. Still struggling with technical issues with those pages.

If you are seeing the older name in one of the spreadsheets, we'd appreciate it if you would tell us which one.

Thanks.

The English name for Pandion haliaetus has been changed to simply Osprey as should be reflected in the downloadable 12.2 Excel files and as announced in the English name updates. Perhaps you are looking at the BOW (Birds of the World) pages which haven't been updated yet. Still struggling with technical issues with those pages.

If you are seeing the older name in one of the spreadsheets, we'd appreciate it if you would tell us which one.

Thanks.
My bad
Was updating my personal file and got the two mixed but think I'd seen the BOW and went to check as it made no sense

Apologies :)

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Qilian Bluetail from Red-flanked Bluetail.

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Taiwan Bush Robin from White-browed Bush Robin.

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Northern Red-fronted Tinkerbird from (Southern) Red-fronted Tinkerbird.

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Northern Fish Owl from Blakiston's Fish Owl.

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Tenerife Robin and Gran Canaria Robin from European Robin.

Sep 22 Post proposed split of Crimson-crested Turaco from White-cheeked Turaco.
MJB

So you now want me to check where I have seen robins? This is unfairly advantageous towards people who actually make notes :) Also what is the difference, as far as I recall the robins look really the same everywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back