• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (2 Viewers)

*Cossypha humeralis, Cossypha caffra, Cossypha archeri, Cossypha anomala

*White-throated Robin-Chat, Cape Robin-Chat, Archer's Ground Robin, Olive-flanked Ground Robin

Become: Dessonornis humeralis, Dessonornis caffra, Dessonornis archeri, Dessonornis anomala

*The resurrected genus Dessonornis is applied to four species formerly assigned to Cossypha but which form a distinctly separate clade in phylogenetic analyses (Beresford 2003; Zhao M et al. 2023). As noted by Mayr & Paynter (1964) and others, Dessonornis (Smith, A, 1836) is a misspelling, later corrected by the author himself to Bessonornis (Smith, A, 1844). However, it is not clear that Smith's later emendation satisfies ICZN Art. 32.5.1.1. Use of Dessonornis follows Wolters (1975).
An alternative, monotypic Dessonornis (humeralis), the remaining in Dryocichloides (type anomala)

I incorrectly used Caffrornis instead of Dryocichloides in my pdf book

Last edited:
However, it is not clear that Smith's later emendation satisfies ICZN Art. 32.5.1.1.

Report of the Expedition for Exploring Central Africa from the Cape of Good Hope, June 23, 1834

The OD offers no clue whatsoever to understand the etymology of the name, hence I would say it's rather clear that 32.5.1 does not apply. (The name is generally assumed to be derived from βησσα, a wooded comb or glen + ορνις, a bird. The single included species was said in the OD to inhabit the banks of a river...)

For 32.5.1.1 to apply, an explicit corrigendum should be present in the original work (having been either issued together with the work; or, if the work was issued in parts (not the case here, I believe), in one of the subsequent parts of this work; or, if produced later, issued as a slip circulated to be inserted in the work -- the important thing here being that the corrigendum must have ended up physically included in the volume that contains the OD). This is not the case either.

The subsequent change of spelling by Smith may not even qualify as an emendation either, by the way. (He merely switched to another spelling without any comment or explanation.)

Last edited:
"However, it is not clear that Smith's later emendation satisfies ICZN Art. 32.5.1.1."
I believe that Bessonornis was the original spelling.
Page 46: Report of the expedition for exploring Central Africa from the Cape of Good Hope June 23, 1834 under the superintendence of Dr. A. Smith .
This is supported by Smith 1838 were he referred to page 46 and the genus name was Bessonornis.
[v.2 Aves] - Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Dessonornis seems to be a misprint from some of the copies from Cape Town but not the original.

"However, it is not clear that Smith's later emendation satisfies ICZN Art. 32.5.1.1."
I believe that Bessonornis was the original spelling.
Page 46: Report of the expedition for exploring Central Africa from the Cape of Good Hope June 23, 1834 under the superintendence of Dr. A. Smith .
This is supported by Smith 1838 were he referred to page 46 and the genus name was Bessonornis.
[v.2 Aves] - Illustrations of the zoology of South Africa - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Dessonornis seems to be a misprint from some of the copies from Cape Town but not the original.
It looks like the "B" was corrected manually, in pen.

Apr 14 Revise linear sequence of species within Muscicapidae based on Zhao et al. (2023).

Apr. 14 Post proposed splits of Olive-backed Forest Robin and Yellow-breasted Forest Robin from (Orange-breasted) Forest Robin

Apr 15 Accept split of Pale-eyed Bulbul from Stripe-throated Bulbul.

Apr 15 Accept Sp. nov. Ibera Seedeater.

Apr 15 Accept lump of Vincent's Bunting with Cape Bunting.

Apr 15 Accept split of polytypic Black-and-Crimson Oriole and monotypic Javan Oriole.

Apr 15 Accept lump of Brigida's Woodcreeper with Uniform Woodcreeper.

Apr 15 Accept splits of Tapajos Scythebill and Xingu Scythebill from Curve-billed Scythebill.

Apr 15 Accept split of Northern Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner from (Southern) Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner. English names tentative.

Apr 15 Accept lump of Puna Canastero with Streak-throated Canastero.

Apr 15 Accept split of Araguaia Spinetail from White-lored Spinetail.

Latest IOC diary updates .
Feb 18 Post proposed lump of Ochre Oriole with Orchard Oriole.
With all the tension between Global North and Global South ornithologists :
How to include and recognize the work of ornithologists based in the Neotropics: Fourteen actions for Ornithological Applications, Ornithology, and other global-scope journals .
I think the retention of the English name of the OD Fuentes's Oriole would be best. (Even if only subspecies)
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v028n01/p0001-p0004.pdf .
In a wish to offer a handshake from north to south perhaps naming a bird for a person whose Father was Peurto Rican and Mother was born in North American would help.
Hispanic Heritage. Louis Agassiz Fuertes | Rafael López .
Also it is said that he "could handle mules or jefe pollrico, with equal succes" I might be wrong but the colors of different ochre earths are so variable to not help a birder?

Last edited:
Apr 15 Accept split of American Goshawk from Northern Goshawk.

Apr 15 Accept splits of Little and Southern Long-tailed Woodcreepers from (Northern) Long-tailed Woodcreeper.

Apr 15 Accept split of polytypic Plain Xenops (Xenops genibarbis) and monotypic White-throated Xenops (X. minutus).

Latest IOC diary updates .
Feb 18 Post proposed lump of Ochre Oriole with Orchard Oriole.
With all the tension between Global North and Global South ornithologists :
How to include and recognize the work of ornithologists based in the Neotropics: Fourteen actions for Ornithological Applications, Ornithology, and other global-scope journals .
I think the retention of the English name of the OD Fuentes's Oriole would be best. (Even if only subspecies)
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v028n01/p0001-p0004.pdf .
In a wish to offer a handshake from north to south perhaps naming a bird for a person whose Father was Peurto Rican and Mother was born in North American would help.
Hispanic Heritage. Louis Agassiz Fuertes | Rafael López .
Also it is said that he "could handle mules or jefe pollrico, with equal succes" I might be wrong but the colors of different ochre earths are so variable to not help a birder?
None of the suggested measures in that paper involve naming a common name (or scientific name) after a person with Latin American heritage. That would be the most hollow of hollow gestures, since it does squat for any ornithologist based in Central and South America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back