• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (3 Viewers)

July 4 Note change of English names for Dryobates cathpharius and Dryobates pernyii.

June 28 Note change of English name of Cacatua citrinocristata from Orange-crested Cockatoo to Citron-crested Cockatoo.

I'm confused by the Dryobates English names. It looks to me like it says cathpharius is to be Crimson-naped Woodpecker, to align with Clements/eBird, and pernyii is to be Necklaced Woodpecker. However the latest version of Clements/eBird has Scarlet-breasted Woodpecker for cathpharius and Crimson-breasted Woodpecker for pernyii.

eBird/Clements haven’t split them yet in their 2022 update. IOC probably has some inside info on the next upcoming update, that’s probably what they’re referring to. Just a guess though.

I'm confused by the Dryobates English names. It looks to me like it says cathpharius is to be Crimson-naped Woodpecker, to align with Clements/eBird, and pernyii is to be Necklaced Woodpecker. However the latest version of Clements/eBird has Scarlet-breasted Woodpecker for cathpharius and Crimson-breasted Woodpecker for pernyii.
Well, that first set of names is an improvement.

Unsurprisingly:

July 7 Lump Cordilleran Flycatcher with Pacific-slope Flycatcher as "Western Flycatcher" for the recombined species.

Both former species are pretty easy to see within the ABA region, hence people will be posting about it :p
That's true, sort of. But British Columbia has never added it to its official list. Washington's official list says "Cordilleran Flycatcher may occur in extreme southeastern Washington, but evidence of hybridization with Pacific-slope Flycatcher and the lack of genetic studies for Washington populations have so far prevented the Committee from accepting this species for the state list.". Alberta's official list still only has 'Western' Flycatcher, as does Montana's.

So it hasn't been easy to distinguish the two forms in the area where both might be present, and it doesn't seem like anybody took up the difficult task of fixing that problem.

July 7 Split Antillean Euphonia into three species.

No further detail on the diary page, but the Proposed Splits page gives the two new species as Puerto Rican Euphonia and Lesser Antillean Euphonia, with Hispaniolan Euphonia for what's left of Chlorophonia musica.

July 7 Split Antillean Euphonia into three species.

No further detail on the diary page, but the Proposed Splits page gives the two new species as Puerto Rican Euphonia and Lesser Antillean Euphonia, with Hispaniolan Euphonia for what's left of Chlorophonia musica.
Same as what was just published in the North American Checklist update.
Niels

That's true, sort of. But British Columbia has never added it to its official list. Washington's official list says "Cordilleran Flycatcher may occur in extreme southeastern Washington, but evidence of hybridization with Pacific-slope Flycatcher and the lack of genetic studies for Washington populations have so far prevented the Committee from accepting this species for the state list.". Alberta's official list still only has 'Western' Flycatcher, as does Montana's.

So it hasn't been easy to distinguish the two forms in the area where both might be present, and it doesn't seem like anybody took up the difficult task of fixing that problem.
The eBird maps for these two taxa in northeastern Washington vs. northern Idaho are priceless - magically, there's a 100% switch in taxa perfectly aligned with the border. Obviously, an artifact of how filters are set up, etc., but indicative of the unsolvability of this ID problem.

Assuming no last minute surprises, of the c 61 changes, 34 affect me with 14 losses and 20 gain

so six more on the life list.

I'm particularly pleased with the chaffinch, Lesser Sandplover and Cockatoo splits and with the Western Flycatcher lump.

The others I'm ok with either way

So my wife celebrated WP bird #600 in March - Dusky Thrush twitch in Berlin. Then she promptly un-celebrated when we found out that our "Gyrfalcon" from Norway is a Peregrine (not sure how that happened) and now she can re-celebrate again with the Chaffinches! Well, it was close, they looked like they are gonna take away the Shearwaters to even it out. Maybe they will do that soon and she will have another chance at 600 later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back