• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laughing Falcon on Merlin (1 Viewer)

uggy12

United Kingdom
I've just started using Merlin to identify birds and wondered what everyone thought of it. It has identified a laughing falcon and an American coot both unlikely visitors to the UK.

Merlin works a lot of the time, but it also often gets things wrong. I would disregard those two IDs, they are nearly impossible. American Coot has been recorded in the UK only a handful of times ever (mostly in the Shetlands) and Laughing Falcon has never been recorded in the UK (and almost certainly never will be, given its range, nonmigratory status, and specialized diet).

Hi uggy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I wonder if you set the app to allow Merlin to check your location, or if you only downloaded the Great Britain and Ireland pack?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome 😁
I'll check my settings on the app and look at the other forums as well. I've always had an interest in birds but one I discovered Merlin it's opened a whole new world for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back