• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leaf Warbler | Hegurajima, Japan | may (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

Chiffchaff?| Hegurajima, Japan | may

First Phylloscopus warbler of the 2nd proper birding-part of my stay in Japan last may. I was hoping for some typical Japanese leaf warblers but the first one i saw was this one.

Note: photo's are quite bad but should be enough for a positive ID.

dark legs and bill, few features, short primary projection...

Could it be anything other than Siberian Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus (collybita) tristis?)

full record: https://japan.observation.org/waarneming/view/157000092?lang=en&local=xx

NB. it could be that i'm completely wrong even at genus level....

hope to hear from you,

best regards,

Gerben

Attachments

• 2018-05-21 13.17.30-1.jpg
    2018-05-21 13.17.30-1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2018-05-21 13.17.29-Siberische chiffchaff-onbev.jpg
    2018-05-21 13.17.29-Siberische chiffchaff-onbev.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Sorry for bumping this thread up, but surely there are some Phylloscopus-addicts around who dare spare a moment

thanks in advance

cheers
Housecrow

Last edited:
Black bill and legs, structure and plumage all look right for a (Siberian) Chiffchaff to me. This seems like it may be a good record for Japan.

Thanks for casting proper doubt here, Brian
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by '3 emarginations'. I am not very good at wingformula and related stuff.
I understand now (thanks to your post) what emargination means and that a trained eye should probably be able to see it here, but I don't.

What i'm left with is
pro Willow
-dull colored bird..with a hint of yellow on the breast, belly and rump
-rather fine bill

pro Chiffchaff
-black bill
-black legs
-not very prominent supercilium and eyestripe

I think I was wrong earlier in thinking that i could make out the primary projection

Hopefully Brian (or some other Phyllo-scholar) can shed some more light on the matter.

thanks,

Gerben

Attachments

• hegura-phyllo.jpg
    hegura-phyllo.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2018-05-21 13.16.23-2.jpg
    2018-05-21 13.16.23-2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 2018-05-21 13.16.23-2-detai.jpg
    2018-05-21 13.16.23-2-detai.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 27
I got a reply from one of the admins at waarneming.nl. He (Frank Neijts) confirms the yakutensis ID...due to the same 3 emarginations.

Will have to look at some chiffs to note the difference soon.

Willow it is

Thanks again
Gerben

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back