• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

subadult Vega Gull? | Choshi, Japan, march 5 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

Choshi harbour, Chiba, Japan | 5 March 2020
A subadult (4CY?) argentatus-grey herring-like gull with little white and little black on the primaries.

For now I think the last of my gulls in Choshi harbour. I have been reading up on the subject, looking at a few 1000 photos over the last weeks and of course...i'm drifting further from firm knowledge than I wished for...but that is part of the learning process of course.
But it also means that I don't dare give a real suggestion anymore.

What would you say this is...
Vega is the standard for the area, Mongolian Gull, Taimyr Gull, Glaucous Gull, Thayer's Gull, Glaucous-winged Gull and American Herring Gull are the large white gulls of the area.
All of them were seen in the same period. I have been thinking it could also be another Thayer's.

I have been checking several (near)brilliant gull-sites, www.gull-research.org of course, but also
http://mituyubi.com/kamome/kamome-top.html and
http://strix.main.jp/?page_id=48&tagname=xamerican_herring_gull&lang=en

anyone?
cheers,
Gerben

Attachments

• meeuw3.jpg
    meeuw3.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 17
  • meeuw2.jpg
    meeuw2.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 15
  • meeuw.jpg
    meeuw.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 15
  • meeu4.jpg
    meeu4.jpg
    911.4 KB · Views: 12
Apparently I did learn something over the last weeks... it has been confirmed as a 4CY Vega Gull.
Thanks to Peter Adriaens, among other things admin at observado.org

I would have deleted a deadend forumthread, but I can't.. so...

cheers
Gerben

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back