• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Least Flycatcher in Iceland - new bird for WP (5 Viewers)

The flycatcher in Iceland was caught in a mistnet but has not yet been securely identified. It is at the moment belived to be Iceland's/WP second Acadian Flycatcher or WP's first ever Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum). Our friend Edward was one of the finders!

What a astonishing run of good birds, I can hear the gnashing of teeth from the people on the Isles of Scilly!!

Swift said:
What a astonishing run of good birds, I can hear the gnashing of teeth from the people on the Isles of Scilly!!

Spoke to a friend of mine, on Tresco, yesterday. He described Scilly as "like 1992 but with less birds". Any of you who can't remember 92 let me remind you. It was considered as probably the worst year (for rarities) ever! I'm sure they'd settle for just one of those recent Icelandic rarities.

Mark

Now a Blackpoll Warbler In NW France and a Semi-p Plover in Ireland.

Bet Jack Snipe numbers are building up on Scilly though....

Spud

The flycatcher has now been confidently identified as the first ever Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum) for WP!!!!!!

And today's Yank in Iceland is... A Belted Kingfisher was discovered at the harbour of Heimaey in Vestmannaeyjar!! Will this adventure never end????? There are four earlier records of this species in Iceland.

Gaukur/Edward etc you must be thrilled a run of rare birds is one thing but the run your experiencing in Iceland ,now thats something else.

Hmmmm, just looking at the weather charts for this week....a good run of strong South-easterlies from Tuesday and a bit of an Atlantic storm hitting Scilly by Thursday. Not looking too bad for mid October........lets see if anything turns up by Friday!

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back