• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica’s design sense… (1 Viewer)

Have you tried the Retrovids? Optically and ergonomically I like them as much as my Ultravids, even better in my hand. They aren’t submergable, though rain and splash proof whatever that means. To me it means I can carry them in the rain without worry, especially with their aquadura lens coating.

I sold my Ultravid HD+ 7x42 and realize now I shouldn't have let it go. My thinking was also to go with a lighter alternative. I still want to go light weight and compact most of the time, but I should have kept the Ultravid for occasional use and for pure enjoyment.
:oops:
The UV 7x42 HD+ is a special treasure, the ergonomics and the optics... fantastic.

Am I alone in preferring the black armour over the green editions?

No, you are not alone...;)

Andreas

that's what keeps me interested ... plus it's more affordable.
They are great optics, I may have preffered the older BN's, and the new Ultras are better, and so they should be.
But new Trinovids are still a quality optic, and, if not directly compared to 'alpha' bins... they have a wonderful view.
My Meostars were a bit better optically, but it was ONLY apparent when switching bins side by side.
If we don't do this direct comparison, other than when we purchase, we would probably all be a lot happier with what we've got.
I've only been using my BN's lately, (other than one day out on the board with the Steiners)... and to me, they leave me wanting nothing at all, and I just really enjoy using them more than any other binocular I have owned.

Those new Trinovids will be just fine, and not a Kings' ransom either!!!

Agreed. Leica makes the best looking binoculars by a long shot. And the images through them are also the best looking. Just gorgeous products. Technically worse than Swarovski or Zeiss in most cases, but I like them better anyway.
Hello. I have a question for you. I have a 10x42 BA Trinovid (about 15 years old) which I needed to have service. I got them back and they are bright and clear. IIt is hard for me to imagine better image optics. However, I assume (?) that Swarovski and Zeiss, at their high end, make binoculars that are superior in this regard.

But what is the difference, do you know? Will what I see be 2-3 times better? Or is it something like better imaging in the dusk? Or do the higher cost binoculars focus more close? (that would be a plus certainly).

Since I got these Leica's back and have been using them I do not feel I'd need anything else -- certainly for the time being.

What are your thoughts? And anyone else's thoughts . . .

Hello. I have a question for you. I have a 10x42 BA Trinovid (about 15 years old) which I needed to have service. I got them back and they are bright and clear. IIt is hard for me to imagine better image optics. However, I assume (?) that Swarovski and Zeiss, at their high end, make binoculars that are superior in this regard.

But what is the difference, do you know? Will what I see be 2-3 times better? Or is it something like better imaging in the dusk? Or do the higher cost binoculars focus more close? (that would be a plus certainly).

Since I got these Leica's back and have been using them I do not feel I'd need anything else -- certainly for the time being.

What are your thoughts? And anyone else's thoughts . . .
They are fine. You will pay a fortune for a slight improvement. Enjoy what you have, they are classics.

Go with the UVHD+ 8x32, phenomenal glass in a compact package. Almost nothing on the market compares. A little tight on eye relief not terrible and I still can use them with sunglasses.

Paul
I'm very familiar with it. I've given it a try several times. There's not enough eye relief for me unfortunately.

Am I alone in preferring the black armour over the green editions?

I've never owned a Leica, but if I do treat myself, it might be an Ultravid 10x25 (that's if the Zeiss Victory Pocket doesn't suit me better).

I'm also curious to see if the excellent physical quality of their binos translates to the Televid scopes.
Swoptics currently have a pair of the 10x25 at a great price used

I'm very familiar with it. I've given it a try several times. There's not enough eye relief for me unfortunately.

The classic 7x35 is right there next to the UV32, but not water proof. It does have 16mm eye releif. The MHG in 42 is nice and light and less blackout issues than the 30. The Trinovid 8x32 is nice , but the 10’s are CA monsters.

The classic 7x35 is right there next to the UV32, but not water proof. It does have 16mm eye releif. The MHG in 42 is nice and light and less blackout issues than the 30. The Trinovid 8x32 is nice , but the 10’s are CA monsters.
I tried the MHG 8x42 recently and thought it was great. I only had a brief moment with it in the store but already I liked it.
Sometime this year I'll figure it out and buy something to go along with my MHG 8x30.

I tried the MHG 8x42 recently and thought it was great. I only had a brief moment with it in the store but already I liked it.
Sometime this year I'll figure it out and buy something to go along with my MHG 8x30.
Perhaps the MHG 8x30 is just fine...? I know I bird 90% of the time with my 7x35 Leica and unless I am on a hawk watch or perhaps at the ocean shore I take out the 10x42.... So, use the 8x30...it is 90% of your bird watching I bet... jim

I have never looked at the Trini 10x32... Wasn't aware of that issue.... But the 8x32 Trini is wonderful and I love the close focus.

I was going to say my 7x35s work super with glasses. I mostly take my glasses off when I use my Ultravids, they work ok with the eye cups down, but definitely easier with the cups out and no glasses. With my 7x35 Retrovids it doesn’t matter a bit, glasses on-off, eye cups one-out, easy either way. I have very deep set eyes btw.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back