• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovids - Old vs Recent (1 Viewer)

South Pender

Canada
I'm looking for a pair of compact binoculars and have more-or-less settled on the Leica Trinovids. They would seem to have the compactness and performance that I'm looking for. Here in Canada, new ones are going for around $1000 ($775 USD) or so. However, there are lots of used Trinovids for sale here for about half that price.

I'm wondering whether I'd lose out by picking up a pair of used ones (assuming, of course, that there were no structural or optical defects present). Many I've seen have the label "Leitz" as opposed to "Leica," and I gather that the older ones used the Leitz labelling before the point when everything Leica made had the Leica label. So a couple of questions:

1. Are the recent ones that much better optically? Better lenses, lens coatings?

2. Would a pair of the older ones provide sufficient optical quality for general outdoor use--hikes, nature walks, viewing animals at a distance, etc.?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I'm sure you will get a load of suggestions ;)

Welcome to Birdforum. The answer to #1 is maybe, the older Leitz are not as good as the Leica BA or BN.
The recent Trinovid HD models are another step up in some ways.
For #2, the answer is much the same, yes. The Trinovid BA and BN are still very good optics.
Good luck in your search. The Leica brand is a very good one.
Jerry

I would limit your search to BNs or the more current vintage. Great choice!

The older Leitz are neat but not on par optically - esp due to older coatings (or lack thereof).

My oldest Leitz binoculars are still very nice to use in many lighting situations, but in other settings there is a night and day difference to my Leica BN. Pretty much anything that says Leitz will have much older coating technology and lack dielectric mirroring too. If you buy anything Leitz it should be for a very good price, otherwise you'll be far happier in a much wider range of settings with any Leica, and if you do go with an older Trinovid, try to get a serial number of 145xxxx or later for the most recent coatings and a brighter image.

In addition to having both 8x32 and 8x20 in Ultravid and Trinovid, there is much less easily detectable difference between them, at any rate, not necessarily enough to really justify pricing differential for all users.

What size binocular are you planning on?

One difficulty in buying an older pair is finding a set without internal haze that accumulates over the years. Haze can reduce contrast and in some cases set the stage for fungal build up. If you can possibly afford it, a new pair should give years and years of use.

One difficulty in buying an older pair is finding a set without internal haze that accumulates over the years. Haze can reduce contrast and in some cases set the stage for fungal build up. If you can possibly afford it, a new pair should give years and years of use.
I have never heard that haze builds up in a sealed roof prism binocular. How does it get in the binoculars, and what is it caused from? I have never been afraid to buy older roof prism binoculars like the Leica BN 8x32, but if haze can build up in them It gives me second thoughts.

I have never heard that haze builds up in a sealed roof prism binocular. How does it get in the binoculars, and what is it caused from? I have never been afraid to buy older roof prism binoculars like the Leica BN 8x32, but if haze can build up in them It gives me second thoughts.
Dennis,
How long do we think the purging gas stays in before it leaks out many an older BA and BN have gone back to be re- gassed due to internal moisture.
Peter.

My oldest Leitz binoculars are still very nice to use in many lighting situations, but in other settings there is a night and day difference to my Leica BN. Pretty much anything that says Leitz will have much older coating technology and lack dielectric mirroring too. If you buy anything Leitz it should be for a very good price, otherwise you'll be far happier in a much wider range of settings with any Leica, and if you do go with an older Trinovid, try to get a serial number of 145xxxx or later for the most recent coatings and a brighter image.

In addition to having both 8x32 and 8x20 in Ultravid and Trinovid, there is much less easily detectable difference between them, at any rate, not necessarily enough to really justify pricing differential for all users.

What size binocular are you planning on?
I was looking at a pair of Leitz Trinovid 8x20 BC (at a good price), and either 7 or 8 seems like the right magnification for my use. I'm attracted to the Trinovids because of their compact size. I'd like something I could carry in my pocket. The used Trinovids I've been looking at have been in the $300 - $500 range (USD). I'd like to keep the price in that range if possible.

However, it may be that I won't be able to find a newer Leica binocular--with better coating--for that price. So, I'm wondering whether I should look elsewhere. Can anyone recommend another binocular that would have newer lenses and coatings--and better optics--and would be similarly compact?

I'm looking for a pair of compact binoculars and have more-or-less settled on the Leica Trinovids. They would seem to have the compactness and performance that I'm looking for. Here in Canada, new ones are going for around $1000 ($775 USD) or so. However, there are lots of used Trinovids for sale here for about half that price.

I'm wondering whether I'd lose out by picking up a pair of used ones (assuming, of course, that there were no structural or optical defects present). Many I've seen have the label "Leitz" as opposed to "Leica," and I gather that the older ones used the Leitz labelling before the point when everything Leica made had the Leica label. So a couple of questions:

1. Are the recent ones that much better optically? Better lenses, lens coatings?

2. Would a pair of the older ones provide sufficient optical quality for general outdoor use--hikes, nature walks, viewing animals at a distance, etc.?

Any help will be much appreciated!
I don't mean to contradict your choice, but I recently tried a bunch of 8x32 and 8x42 binoculars and the new Leica Trinovid 8x32 would be my last choice because it has a very small FOV of only 372 feet which is one of the smallest FOV's at its price point. If you want something compact, try the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 or the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. Both are about the same size as the Leica, but they have a much bigger FOV of 420 feet for the Zeiss and 435 feet for the Nikon. I think you would like them better. If you want a superb view with Leica's you have to get into the Ultravid HD+ or better yet the Noctivid, and then you are into Alpha territory.

Hi South Pender,

Binoculars before the introduction of the BA line in 1990 are marked Leitz, and from then on Leica.
So one quick way of getting an idea of age.

In terms of another quick aid, see the list with images at: Roof-Prism Leica Binoculars - Leica Wiki (English)
You can click on the images to enlarge them. This may be helpful in making sense of the various pocket Trinovid models (post #10).

And for some more detail about the pocket models and transmission, see post #52 and the link at: Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25

John

I'll cut to the chase and say that I would not recommend anything 30 years old. If you are a bino connoisseur, then picking up the odd 'vintage' item is fun and can result in excellent glass for the money. But you also risk glass that was improperly cleaned, failing prisms, lesser quality coatings, lack of warranty,... I've owned 1970's Leitz Trinovids, 90's UV's, and modern Trinovid and UV's. If my budget was $1000 I would find a recent-build pair used, or a new Trinovid. The build quality is NO less than the original German glass (or the 1970's Portugal units), and the optics have improved.
If you want Leica (I do, generally...) and limited to 500-750US, look for a pair of Trinovid HD's used but in good condition. They do pop up!

I'd be slightly hesitant with trinovids but only if your particularly sensitive to ca, it's definitely there to a greater degree than other similarly priced offerings. If your not too bothered by it then their a great set of bins. The only other downside I found was the amount of focus twirling required from close to say 15m.

Hi South Pender,

Binoculars before the introduction of the BA line in 1990 are marked Leitz, and from then on Leica.
So one quick way of getting an idea of age.

In terms of another quick aid, see the list with images at: Roof-Prism Leica Binoculars - Leica Wiki (English)
You can click on the images to enlarge them. This may be helpful in making sense of the various pocket Trinovid models (post #10).

And for some more detail about the pocket models and transmission, see post #52 and the link at: Leica UV 8x20 versus Zeiss Victory 8x25

John
John, thanks so much for these references--tremendously helpful.

And thanks to all of you for your help in educating a guy who is just about clueless re binoculars, but is now beginning to understand them a little!:)

I was looking at a pair of Leitz Trinovid 8x20 BC (at a good price), and either 7 or 8 seems like the right magnification for my use. I'm attracted to the Trinovids because of their compact size. I'd like something I could carry in my pocket.
I carry my Leica 8x20 Ultravid all the time in my pocket. I got so curious how well the more affordable, and easier to find deals for, Trinovid version would compare, that I followed up by adding them to the lineup.

Suggestions that the Trinovid is smaller than the Ultravid could be considered as true, but not actually helpful in determining if one is usefully smaller than the other, which I believe them to be the same size despite my tape measure telling me there's a tiny difference.

The one tip I got here in the forum that helped me choose was that the ones with the centered logo had the newest upgrades then available. Try to find one of them and no matter how many other binoculars you buy in the future, they'll always be an unobtrusive pocket carry for you.

Last edited:
@South Pender, I’m not sure what you mean by ‘compact’. Many would consider the Trinovid BA and BN x42 compact by comparison to their contemporaries, and they are fine binoculars by all accounts. Others would take ‘compact’ to refer to the 8x20 and 10x25 models.

I have a mid 90’s 10x25 BCA which is a wonderful little binocular which I still use almost daily. If you’re interested in a full sized (but still relatively compact) x42 Trinovid then my advice would be to search for a used 2012-15 model. These, in my opinion, are the best Trinovids ever made, with optics which many people think are the same as (or at least as good as) the Ultravid BR. The current but cheaper Trinovid HD also has its fans.

I missed the 'pocket' size part of the conversation. I also own the 8x20 Trinovid BCA's and they are great go-anywhere bins. Do be warned however, that the view through an 8x20 is considerably more fiddly than an 8x30/32/42. Worse if you wear glasses (which I do). If you actually do much glassing (birder?), I think 8x20 would not be my 'one binocular' recommendation.

Regarding 8x20 UV vs Trinovid i found the UV brighter and it’s waterproof. Wouldn’t mind to own a 8x20 Trinovid though in addition to my 10x25 UV. They are a fraction smaller and I like the design of the small Trinovid.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back