• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20, Nikon 8x30 E II or 8x30 Habicht? (1 Viewer)

-With Swarovski Habicht 7x42, I can easily see entire FOV, even a lot of black outside the fieldstop border. It is much more convenient eyerelief
Maybe it works better with glasses because the AFOV is so small? When it is already very small, you cannot easily lose some of it.

Habichts are excellent as everyone here has said (watch out for glare in the 8x30), but if you want something small, waterproof and modern with excellent optics and a surprisingly bright and wide FOV the Zeiss VP 8x25 has a very devoted following, even from people who usually avoid Zeiss. Cheaper than the Habichts too. If you do, try them with rubber eye cups as it helps both eye positioning and image quality. They work well with glasses too if you prefer.

M

Just out of curiosity how would one go about ordering a 8x30 if ga or finding out the price? I've looked around for them for sale but can't seem to find them anywhere.
Hi William.
I own Steiners genuine NATO military 8x30r.
The view is brighter and more resolving than my Leica 8x32's which annoys me a bit:rolleyes:
Those Steiners are astonishing.
I'm not sure if the civilian 8x30's would be the same, but the military ones are shockproof, dustproof, and a real Alpha view, albeit with a reticle, but I just ignore that.... It doesn't really get in the way, and adds a bit of 'character'.
You may be able to source some of these more easily than the Swaro's.... and trust me, you will not be disappointed in the view, and that's coming from a Habicht fanboy(y)

Hi William.
I own Steiners genuine NATO military 8x30r.
The view is brighter and more resolving than my Leica 8x32's which annoys me a bit:rolleyes:
Those Steiners are astonishing.
I'm not sure if the civilian 8x30's would be the same, but the military ones are shockproof, dustproof, and a real Alpha view, albeit with a reticle, but I just ignore that.... It doesn't really get in the way, and adds a bit of 'character'.
You may be able to source some of these more easily than the Swaro's.... and trust me, you will not be disappointed in the view, and that's coming from a Habicht fanboy(y)
I'm still attempting to get hold of one actually, you never know till you try!

Its a first world problem but I have a gap in capabilities between the rather large 56mm slc and the not too much rain or rough use e2 so have been keeping an eye out for a really tough little bin for kayaking -I did a few days wild camping down the Wye this year and didn't feel comfortable taking either bin with me! Also backpacking and mountain bike touring when I've been using my 10x42 mono.

Quite liked the hawk 7x32 marine but actually preferred the view through the 7x50 version again though, quite a large bin! I have a few 10x50 Porro's as well, I'm a sucker for the lure of binoculars with a larger exit pupil, it takes something a bit different to tempt me away from there charms. The 7x42 habicht is an excellent option that I had for a fair while so I may go back to that if all else fails.

The glare of the Habicht 8x30 is a big issue, especially as a fundamental flaw in design. Regarding Porros still in production: Is it only E2 vs. Habicht?
There's a lot of very decent affordable Porro's. Opticron make a few, Steiner, oberwerk etc. There's also a wide range of affordable ak Prism bino's.

The nikon e2 and astrolux models, swaro habicht and fujinon's fmtrsx are arguably a step above but not by much in terms of view but by quite a bit in terms of cost.

I'm still attempting to get hold of one actually, you never know till you try!

Its a first world problem but I have a gap in capabilities between the rather large 56mm slc and the not too much rain or rough use e2 so have been keeping an eye out for a really tough little bin for kayaking -I did a few days wild camping down the Wye this year and didn't feel comfortable taking either bin with me! Also backpacking and mountain bike touring when I've been using my 10x42 mono.

Quite liked the hawk 7x32 marine but actually preferred the view through the 7x50 version again though, quite a large bin! I have a few 10x50 Porro's as well, I'm a sucker for the lure of binoculars with a larger exit pupil, it takes something a bit different to tempt me away from there charms. The 7x42 habicht is an excellent option that I had for a fair while so I may go back to that if all else fails.
William

I have the (older non-compass model) 7x30 Steiner Navigator which I use canoeing and powerboating and touch wood, even though it has been dropped overboard several times and immersed when capsizing and righting, it has remained bone dry. The 7x30 is nice to handle and it has the Steiner bouyancy strap fitted which really does work. The 7x50 with the compass by comparison is a heavy bugger but is better when the light fails.

Optically, if you dismiss the 'sports focus' claims it is suprisingly good and is built like a brick outhouse. I don't like the 'newer' design.

In a fit of sheer madness I have ordered a pair of the Steiner 10x50 Military/Marine binos from Amazon for delivery tomorrow just to see what they are like. They are the 'civilian' version of the Military ones that you can still get from Amazon US but those are considerably more expensive than the £402 i have paid albeit the reticule is missing.

My eldest has a pair of the US Army issue 7x50's so it will be interesting to compare. Those are marked Made In Germany on the ocular. Lord knows where the ones I have ordered are made. I suspect in that well know German Lander of Chinia.

WEX have a second hand 10x42 rubber Habicht which is tempting.......................

Last edited:
The glare of the Habicht 8x30 is a big issue, especially as a fundamental flaw in design. Regarding Porros still in production: Is it only E2 vs. Habicht?
Have you tried the 8x30 Habicht, or just going by what some people say? Other porro considerations are the Nikon SE, better than the E2, the Oberwerk ED (SE on the website) sharper, brighter and less CA than the E2 and water proof. I’d still say the Habicht’s are the way to go, if you haven’t tried them. When I first bought them I didn’t even notice any glare , until I started to read about some users having issues in that area. I can see glare , but like other binoculars it’s all about angle and position. I’ve had at least a dozen people use these Habicht’s and only one noticed annoying glare , and it was late in the day with sun low.

Paul

Have you tried the 8x30 Habicht, or just going by what some people say? Other porro considerations are the Nikon SE, better than the E2, the Oberwerk ED (SE on the website) sharper, brighter and less CA than the E2 and water proof. I’d still say the Habicht’s are the way to go, if you haven’t tried them. When I first bought them I didn’t even notice any glare , until I started to read about some users having issues in that area. I can see glare , but like other binoculars it’s all about angle and position. I’ve had at least a dozen people use these Habicht’s and only one noticed annoying glare , and it was late in the day with sun low.

Paul
The Habicht 8x30 W has some glare at extreme angles, but like Elpha8888 says above they are unlike any binocular he has ever experienced. They are without a doubt brighter, sharper, and they have better contrast than the E2.

I remember the first time I tried them, I was wowed by how clear and transparent the 3D view was. They are just different and better than even the alpha roofs in many ways, even with their shortcomings like their tight focuser and small eye cups there is something magical about their view. Maybe it is that high transmission that almost gives them a sparkle. I don't know, there is just something about them. I ordered another pair with the latest coatings. I am getting hooked on the porro view with the Swift Audubon 804 8.5x44 and Linet Imperial SWA 7x35.

The Habicht 8x30 problem with glare is caused internally by the prisms, the positioning in front of eyepieces does not reduce glare (maybe only if you look very off axis but why would anyone do such a thing, losing from the FOV and from the naturalness of the view).
Here is link with a Habicht 8x30 lover (Tobias Mennle), but who honestly recognizes and knows the limits of his Habicht 8x30 (eye relief and glare).
For glare he found a sunshade solution, but unfortunately not very aesthetic and it did not completely remove the glare problem. Sunshades only reduce the glare problem, not eliminate it permanently. Here he is also signaling the problem of the small eye relief which solves it still not very aesthetically!

I've looked through those Habicht 8x30's several times, and they are amazing. But I will treat them with kid gloves... they are like optical jewelry!!!
I'm thinking of letting my Steiners go, and pulling the pin (finally) on some Habichts...

Today I’ve tried some Swaros at a store (e.g. Companion 8x30). The focus seemed like it was greased with crunchy peanutbutter. CAs of hell in the outer periphery. I didn’t expect that from a bino >1K€. The dealer will try to get a Habicht for demonstration. Is it possible to force the glare-problem so I can decide?

Today I’ve tried some Swaros at a store (e.g. Companion 8x30). The focus seemed like it was greased with crunchy peanutbutter. CAs of hell in the outer periphery. I didn’t expect that from a bino >1K€. The dealer will try to get a Habicht for demonstration. Is it possible to force the glare-problem so I can decide?
May have been a bad example, I tried some and was suitably impressed.
You might like to try the Kowa Genesis 8x33.... Zero CA, bright, and built to last.

I've looked through those Habicht 8x30's several times, and they are amazing. But I will treat them with kid gloves... they are like optical jewelry!!!
I'm thinking of letting my Steiners go, and pulling the pin (finally) on some Habichts...
From my experience the majority have no issues with glare on the 8x30’s. More people have eye relief issues with these than glare. I wouldn’t say these should be a stand alone binocular , but as you said ,they really are like jewelry.

Don't force it... Just look through them, away from the light, towards the light, and everything in between.
I tried some for a good hour or so a while back, and I think that the glare issue is exagerrated. I'm not saying that they dont have their issues, but if they were as bad as some people have made out.... then I'm fairly sure Swarovski would have stepped in!!

All binos have their issues... I had some amazing Zeiss 8x56 FL's... astonishing optics, no CA.... a Joy to look through..

BUT

They were bigger than my car.... so they went.

Iv'e also owned Nikons... 8x30's and also 10x42se's .... with their often talked about blackout problems..
Well... I didn't notice it..

You just gotta go and try them..
Good luck, enjoy the process(y)

In a fit of sheer madness I have ordered a pair of the Steiner 10x50 Military/Marine binos from Amazon for delivery tomorrow just to see what they are like. They are the 'civilian' version of the Military ones that you can still get from Amazon US but those are considerably more expensive than the £402 i have paid albeit the reticule is missing.

My eldest has a pair of the US Army issue 7x50's so it will be interesting to compare. Those are marked Made In Germany on the ocular. Lord knows where the ones I have ordered are made. I suspect in that well know German Lander of Chinia.

WEX have a second hand 10x42 rubber Habicht which is tempting.......................
The Steiner 10x50 Mil/Mar bino's turned up this afternoon and for once were properly boxed by Amazon.

They are awful. They are out of collimation and the right ocular cannot achieve a sharp focus. The left ocular focuses perfectly.

No country of origin on them, they do seem to be as well built as my excellent MiG Navigator Pro's but they are on their way back.

The Steiner 10x50 Mil/Mar bino's turned up this afternoon and for once were properly boxed by Amazon.

They are awful. They are out of collimation and the right ocular cannot achieve a sharp focus. The left ocular focuses perfectly.

No country of origin on them, they do seem to be as well built as my excellent MiG Navigator Pro's but they are on their way back.
Why would a company with Steiners reputation risk selling crap like this.... what a shame!!
The real full fat military ones are sensational, and built to take a warzone!

Why would a company with Steiners reputation risk selling crap like this.... what a shame!!
In my experience, that's about typical. I've never owned a decent pair of Steiner binoculars. I've been tempted to get the 8X56 Nighthunter but not central focus means I'd rarely if ever use them.

Last edited:
Beggars belief. Clearly the bean counters have taken control.

Interesting phone call with an old NATO colleague this evening regarding the Bundeswehr Steiners and the QC problems they experienced with central hinges to name but one. It would appear that even the mil spec ones were iffy at times though the US issue ones my son acquired on Ops in a very sandy place are built like the proverbial.

I have been delighted with my Navigators but they were made a few years ago by nimble Bayreuth fingers and whilst not military spec, have been been used in situations and places that have proved their robustness.

The ones I received this afternoon were plain awful. Lesson well and truly learnt M'Lud, and will stick to the well known Absam warriors in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back