• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz with 40mm objective, dimensions? (1 Viewer)

Etiennef

Can someone tell me the outer diameter of a Leitz Trinovid with 40mm objectives?
And if possible, also the total width "objective-objective" when fully extended?

I'm thinking about getting another Leitz, this time a x40, and I'm wondering if it will fit my 8x32 Leica hardcase (which is on the large side for the x32 Leitz).

Thanks in advace
:flowers:

(PS: In case it would help anyone in the future; the x32 version has an outer objective diameter of ~39mm)

Can someone tell me the outer diameter of a Leitz Trinovid with 40mm objectives?
And if possible, also the total width "objective-objective" when fully extended?

I'm thinking about getting another Leitz, this time a x40, and I'm wondering if it will fit my 8x32 Leica hardcase (which is on the large side for the x32 Leitz).

Thanks in advace
:flowers:

(PS: In case it would help anyone in the future; the x32 version has an outer objective diameter of ~39mm)

I got the calipers out. I'm getting 46.8mm for the outer objective diameter.
The comparative photo is of a trinovid 10x40 with case, and a trinovid 8x32 with case, both early wide angle models.

I'll check the other variable dimensions.

Cheers
Rathaus

Ps 122.7mm width fully extended, at which point the objective at 46.8mm represents the full height of the binocular. If I close the bins to about 115 mm width, the geometry of the whole bin rises to roughly 50mm overall. Hope that helps.

Pps. I'm getting 142mm overall length for the hard eyecup version of the 10x40, and 140.8mm for the small rubber eyecup model. Both are 122m/1000m 10x40 trinovids.

I love these old bins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I've queried the differing eyecups on this early model of Leitz...otherwise they seem mostly identical barring the strap lug and logo style. Nobody seemed to know. The one on the left is obviously slightly earlier, but I'm unaware if there was any difference in optical design. It's the same situation with The 8x32.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I just measured these with calipers...identical except for the eyecup assembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 34
Thank you very much!

It seems like the x40's should be able to go down into to case I have. It's hard to say for sure since the shape of the case is kind of peanut-shaped. If it works, there would not be much margin, but who wants that anyway? :)

Plan-B would of course be to go for a 7x35. Although I'm a bit of a fan of the round logo (preferably black), and almost all the ones I have seen have come in the rectangular shape...

-

By the way, regarding the eye cup design; as far as I understand it's possible to switch the eye cups between the two versions you have listed.But the ring with the specifications seems to be of a slightly different design. Can you really swap them without issues?

Last edited:
Thank you very much!

It seems like the x40's should be able to go down into to case I have. It's hard to say for sure since the shape of the case is kind of peanut-shaped. If it works, there would not be much margin, but who wants that anyway? :)

Plan-B would of course be to go for a 7x35. Although I'm a bit of a fan of the round logo (preferably black), and almost all the ones I have seen have come in the rectangular shape...

-

By the way, regarding the eye cup design; as far as I understand it's possible to switch the eye cups between the two versions you have listed.But the ring with the specifications seems to be of a slightly different design. Can you really swap them without issues?

Good luck with your project. One of the things I really like about the 10x40 and the 8x32 are the massive fov and apparent fov. The later models obviously sacrificed some of this for some extra eye relief etc, but I don't need that.

I haven't tried swapping the full eyepiece rings. I will check and see. The metallic specification 'chapter ring' does look slightly different between the two. It's pretty cool how you can loosen the top and swivel the chapter ring to wherever you want it to be, then retighten in new position.

Cheers
Rathaus

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back