• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Covers - Do You Use Them? (1 Viewer)

That is exactly the problem with the lens caps (considering how expensive the bins are, they really are junk): they don't stay on when they are supposed to but, inevitably, one will cover the lens just as one is trying to look at a bird in a hurry.

I don't use the objective covers with my Leica 10x42's - they are not tethered so they live in the supplied case (also not used).

However the eyepiece cover is a permanent fixture on my neckstrap - mainly as we experience more than our fair share of rain here in Wales and secondly, due to its ability to keep bits of sandwich / crisp / tea off my lenses during snack stops.

AlanFrench said:
My Swarovski SLCs came with tethered caps for the objectives, and a cover for the eyepiece end that is attached to the binocular strap. I recently took the caps and the covers off. When I am not using them they are in the case. When I am using them, they are always ready to go.

I am curious, how many folks use the caps and covers, and how many folks prefer "naked" binoculars?

Clear skies, Alan

I have been using eyepiece covers as "rainguards" ever since I have had binoculars, which means for more than 45 years. Nevertheless, I managed to scratch one eyepiece of my Trinovids when I carelessly wiped it with my shirt that must have caught a grain of sand. But the rainguards have prevented many such potentially disastrous cleanings. I keep the rainguards tethered to only one strap, so they easily fall to the side when I use the binoculars. On the FLs I had to replace the original by a model that fits more tightly, as the original tended to come off by itself and thus did not provide the reliable protection it should have.

As for objective covers: they are a first on my new FLs, and they give me piece of mind when transporting the binoculars as I never use the bulky pouch that came with the FLs. However, it still takes a bit of getting used to these lens protectors when I try to use them in the field (against sand or water spray). Sometimes I end up with a dark view at first. So my opinion on these objective covers is not clear yet. Nevertheless, they are in my opinion best kept attached to the binoculars. Mine tend to overlap when open. In this way there is less chance for them to get caught while walking through vegetation.

Last edited:
Brad_A said:
Always... follow me around for a week in the mountains here and you'll use them!

Not a chance.

The product I mentioned above (as well as a number of other choices I have seen available) are far superior to the crappy lens covers that come with every make and model of binocular on the planet. So much so that I personally, will never use anything else. I like my optics too much to jeapordize them with inferior protection.

lucznik said:
Not a chance.

The product I mentioned above (as well as a number of other choices I have seen available) are far superior to the crappy lens covers that come with every make and model of binocular on the planet. So much so that I personally, will never use anything else. I like my optics too much to jeapordize them with inferior protection.

LOL, I'll use the standard issue covers on the Swaro or Ultravid over the ridiculous Crooked Horn system... it's bulky, awkward, gets in the way of a large daypack and limit's access to bin's. That thing is for greenhorn's in my book...

Last edited:
During normal day to day use with my Ultravid BLs? No... either they're in their leather clamshell case or in use. If I were to go out in the field for more than a few days, I would definitely use the rainguard if the weather required it. On my bins with a larger case, like my 12x50 Trinovids, yes, the rainguard is always on.

Brad_A said:
LOL, I'll use the standard issue covers on the Swaro or Ultravid over the ridiculous Crooked Horn system... it's bulky, awkward, gets in the way of a large daypack and limit's access to bin's. That thing is for greenhorn's in my book...

Actually, I don't think you and I are envisioning the same product. First off, as I mentioned already, I don't use the Crooked Horn Binocular Harness. Though, even if I did, it does not match the description you have given here. Neither the Bino Manager I use nor the Crooked Horn Harness could possibly get in the way of a large daypack, unless you wear your daypack in front of your chest in which case any binocular would be in the way. Both systems hold the binocular in exactly the same position as a traditional neck strap, only they do so while distributing the weight of the binocular across the shoulders, rather than on the neck. They both do this in slightly different ways and I like the Bino Systems design better as it does not require tension to be placed on the securing straps when the binocular is in use which the Crooked Horn system does, but that is just a matter of personal preference. The Bino Manager also incorporates a protective sheild that keeps water, dust, etc. off of the optics while securely holding the binocular against the chest so that crawling, running, horseback riding, climbing, etc. can all be accomplished without the binocular moving, bouncing, hanging down and/or smacking into things, which is an incredible advantage.

I don't know what Crooked Horn product you have in mind in your post, but it clearly is not the same thing I am familiar with and have used nor is it in any way similar to the Bino Manager I currently use.

Come on down to Wyoming sometime and I'll be happy to show you this Bino Manager. I'm confident it won't take long for you to agree that it is superior to the lens covers that came with your binocular, whatever brand/model it is.

OK, I guess I'll add something. I've attached the rainguard to the neckstrap of all 8 of my binos and they will stay on when they are just sitting, not being used. 2 of those binos have tethered objective covers and when they are just sitting on the shelf they will be on. But I never use the other objectives covers. They just stay in all the bags that they came in, and I hardly use those bags either.

Hi,

Does anyone know what tethered objective lens covers will fit a 10x35 EII?
I contacted EO and they said their 32mm covers are too small for mi binos.

Thanks,

ensis

ensis said:
Hi,

Does anyone know what tethered objective lens covers will fit a 10x35 EII?
I contacted EO and they said their 32mm covers are too small for mi binos.

Thanks,

ensis

Mine came with individual untethered covers. So far I haven't lost them. I wonder if I could jury rig some tethers out of gaffer tape?
Bob

This thread is 15 years old, but the subject is as prescient as ever. The problem I see is there has been no significant innovation in eye piece covers in the last 50 years. Admittedly, I have an old pair of roof prism Zeiss binos that came with a clunky hard rubber cover for both eye pieces. The attachment holding it onto the binocs failed years ago and I have kept it attached with a string. It falls off the eye piece when I walk, it drops onto my face when I am observing a bird. It's a miserable and irritating way to try and protect the eye pieces. It find it surprising that somebody has not come up with covers that protect the eye piece optics on binos, but are easy to quickly remove and are unobtrusive.

Generally speaking I have a pair on my windowsill that I keep with no caps, but anything not in use has caps on all the time. I have too many animals to risk damage or stray pet hairs on a lens.

I use them, yes.

With my new swaros I am still babying them. And, when an unexpected downfall hit me and i didn't cover them, I found myself annoyed trying to dry them without having a microfiber cloth handy. So now I'm even more diligent about it.... and i have a little cloth in a bag dangly thing too.

On my new EL's I have doctored the rainguard by removing some of the rubber nipples. This allows it to be removed far more easily. The objective covers I have cut off the attachment point as I don't like like them dangling. I keep objective covers on for storage and leave them in bag when put and about and using them. This is working well for me.

Hi,

on my most used pairs, I have a well fitting and easy to drop rainguard (3rd party when the supplied one was not good or absent).
Objective covers are mostly ignored - certainly in the field and for transport I mostly tend to use the case but not the objective covers.

The sole exceptions are a pair of well armoured Pentax 8x32 ED with attached covers - on those I put the rainguard and objective covers on before stuffing it into my backpack and my car pair of Hensoldt DF 8x30 - that one has survived 40 years of abuse in the german army, so will not break with me...

Joachim

I use them. Absolutely helpful on damp or rainy days and under wet trees and such.
I am always surprised how easy to use some covers are while others require actual attention to put them on and off properly.
My Steiners have the best covers and my Zeiss the trickiest to use ones as they are super tight and hard to put on. However the optical quality is the other way around.

On my new EL's I have doctored the rainguard by removing some of the rubber nipples. This allows it to be removed far more easily. The objective covers I have cut off the attachment point as I don't like like them dangling. I keep objective covers on for storage and leave them in bag when put and about and using them. This is working well for me.
I got the swaro eye cup wing things and the accompanying covers are loose but secure, and are much easier to put on and take off. i'm sure your trick is working for you but if you ever consider another way these are pretty great.

I only fix one side of the ocular lens cover to the lanyard so I never lose it but it doesn't get in my way when looking through it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back