• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Master RH-2 gimbal modification (1 Viewer)

OBXGuide

Nature Photographer
Earlier today I posted a review on BirdForum of the RH-2 gimbal I just received. Not something you hear about here in the states, but thanks to BirdForum I've known about them for some time, just didn't realize I could actually order one from the states. Anyway, it's certainly a keeper. Thought I'd post a couple of photos of my modification, replacing the original Arca-Swiss quick release with the Manfrotto 357 quick releases I prefer to use for my 500mm f/4 beastie.

Here's the original quick release -
Arca-SwissClamp-600.jpg

and here is the modified (drilled) 357 clamp next to the original -
TwoClamps-and-bolt-750.jpg

and the finished results -
357clamp.jpg

It was a very easy and quick modification, and now I have the gimbal I've wanted for years and couldn't get...... a quality single post gimbal with my quick release of choice, instead of an Arca-Swiss. The Lens Master is a great product at an affordable price. And if I ever have a need to revert back to the original Arca-Swiss, all it'll take is a hex tool and two minutes.

that looks a good mod ,my lad has the RH-2 and i don't like the mount either ,as i use the manfrotto mount to hand hold my camera or rest it on in hides etc

Thanks Jeff. It was really easy to do. I much prefer the Manfrotto clamp for its safety catch feature. I have also found that Vanguard makes a clamp very much like it, which came on my Vanguard SBH-300 ball head I use for smaller lens. In fact the Vanguard plates from that set-up will slip into the Manfrotto clamp on the gimbal. At least my other lenses with the Vanguard plates will work with the gimbal, so I have some interchangeability now. The Manfrotto plate will not go into the Vanguard ball head clamp, but I wouldn't put the 500 on a ball head anyway. It's all mentioned in my Vanguard review here-
http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/Vanguard-Acratech.htm

Here's a shot of my 400mm with Vanguard plate mounted to the RH-2 gimbal and Manfrotto clamp -
http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/images/lens_sleeve/400mmLensCover-Max4_hood-extended.jpg

Got mine this morning and had everything ready for a bit of engineering. Mod completed, Manfrotto head installed and the gimbal head feels delightful: my Manfrotto 393 has aged considerably and is also old enough to lack a pan lock so its a right pain for stakeouts.

You will need an 8mm HSS drill and a countersink bit at least 15mm wide.

Perfectly straightforward. Some field testing when the weather improves - hopefully tomorrow.....

John

I much prefer the Arca Swiss system myself (I have both Arca and Manfrotto QR plates).

Being a naturally lazy type I gave the supplied Arca plate a go before doing the conversion work on the Manfrotto. I decided the increased risk from the absence of a safety catch, on possibly a damp cold day with a heavy lens and frozen fingers (and maybe natural cack-handedness on my part) wasn't worth it.

Whatever works for you, though!

John

I much prefer the Arca Swiss system myself (I have both Arca and Manfrotto QR plates).

Not all Manfrotto clamps/plates are made equal, and I too don't care for any of Manfrotto's clamps/plates but the 357. Some of Manfrotto's other plates and clamps like the RC2 and 200PL or hexagonal versions are far too "fiddly" trying to get them to catch properly, and are much worse than the Arca Swiss type. Still, I am no fan of any sort of clamp that has no safety catch, and especially when used with a lens as heavy or expensive as those used for bird photography.

I'm pleased to see Farnboro John found the idea useful.

First impressions are favourable here for tracking flying birds.

Cormorant
Goldeneye
Oystercatcher

John

Attachments

• 2014_01_19 (3)_Cormorant (800x533).jpg
    2014_01_19 (3)_Cormorant (800x533).jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2014_01_19 (6)_Goldeneye (800x533).jpg
    2014_01_19 (6)_Goldeneye (800x533).jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 2014_01_19 (9)_Oystercatcher (800x533).jpg
    2014_01_19 (9)_Oystercatcher (800x533).jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 137
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back