• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenscoat questions (1 Viewer)

I use a lenscoat on my 500 and like Kevin iam not overly impressed either for the price. At the time they were the only ones i could find, also like Kevin found they are a bit short .

More Superb Service from LensCoat

I have been wanting to order a LensCoat for my Canon 300mm f/4 L IS - Realtree Advantage Max4 HD for a few weeks from the sole UK supplier (WarEx) but it is still on backorder. Hence my comment on availability and suppliers. Hopefully, it might be in stock soon.....

Michael.

@mikenott

Your post reminded me that I needed a cover for my own 300/4 so I ordered on the day of my reply (Tuesday) direct to LensCoat and paid for the standard mail option which states 6-10 business day for delivery and it arrived today Saturday direct from USA. Fantastic service!

I have no links whatsoever to LensCoat other than being a very contented user of their products

Thanks Scott

I suppose it all depends on what you want a lens cover for. I wanted one primarily to protect the lens against bumps and bangs. In the end I opted for the WWS neoprene covers because they wer available in a pattern I wanted and were (nllegedly) thicker than the lenscoat which met one of my primary needs.

They arrived next day and were a snug fit. Not absolutely skin tight, but very tight and I can't see much movement. When i bought them I rang WWS and was talked through what they were and it was pointed out that the dials/switches are hidden, but that the lens cover could be peeled back to use them. In reality, they are two separate neoprene tubes, one that fits over the lens hood and one that fits over the main body (+ two narrower strips for 1,4 and 2x matched multipliers). There is a cut out for the tripod bracket.

So I suppose the price reflects their simple(r) construction, but they do the job for me. If you want to fiddle with switches every two minutes, or read lens settings, they may not be for you.

It was a close call between the WWS and the Lenscoat and I am just refelecting my personal opinion. Next time I might buy the lenscoat, it just depends.

Michael.

Well I ended up going with the Wildlife Watching Supplies one because it was cheaper. Plus the free teleconverter bits didn't hurt.
I like it, hardly ever use the little switches on the lens so it's just fine for me.
Looks pretty cool too IMO :)

Attachments

• 4820775698_91e4bc4cc1.jpg
    4820775698_91e4bc4cc1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 230
I think this one is worth a good close look For £35 (Stealth Wildlife Watching Supplies). 4mm thick with nylon stitching to stop the edges wearing and no untidy fitting round the tripod mount.

They will be at the Birdfair and are very professional in every way with a huge range of covers for every lens, plus the will make anything you request if they don't have it.

Attachments

• DSCN4152.JPG
    DSCN4152.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN4143.jpg
    DSCN4143.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN4156.JPG
    DSCN4156.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 118
I am trying one of the neoprene lens caps for my 500 f4 from Stealth Wildlife watching supplies which replaces the rather silly black lens cover thing with a drawcord which canon supply with the lens. The canon thing is very fidley and difficult to get off in a hurry especially so when a rare bird is flying over. The SWWS cap looks very well made and is easy to remove in a second, I will update regarding every day usage in due course.

Kev

I have had the LensCoat Max4HD cammo lens cap thingy on my 500/4 for a couple of years. So much easier than the crap Canon one. I'd expect the SWWS to perform in a similar way. Easy on, easy off, neoprene and camouflaged. There you go review done

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back