• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Redpoll Fledging Found Today (1 Viewer)

Crystalbleu

Scotland
Hi, I'm just after discovering a lesser redpoll fledging eating seed off the ground under the bird feeder stand. It didn't fly away even though I was right next to it. I was concerned it was injured and that a local cat would get it so wanted to put it in a safe place. Fortunately, it hopped onto my finger and then flew away. It looked like flying was a new experience, lol! Can I ask, is it not early to be finding a lesser redpoll fledging?

Welcome to Birdforum CB! Yes, it’s a bit early for Redpoll to have nested, what makes you think it was a juvenile? I wonder if it had stunned itself on a window or similar and regained its senses properly as you moved to retrieve it.
Enjoy your time here!

Hi Crystalbleu and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I agree with Richard, and you, about it being rather early for youngsters. I can't think of another scenario to explain what you saw though.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Richard and Delia, thank you both for the warm welcome πŸ€—. I'll definitely keep an eye on the Scottish Bashes Delia, these sound great fun πŸ˜ƒ.

Thanks for the advice on the redpoll. Tbh, I just assumed it was a juvenile because it didn't seem streetwise yet. It could easily have been an adult that had been stunned. It was eating the nyger seed on the ground but seemed unable to move πŸ€”. I cupped my hands around it and it jump onto my forefinger before flying away. I'm not sure it knew how to steer going by its flight path πŸ₯Ί, another reason for thinking it was a juvenile. Once it took off a few other birds joined it in the air and then it flew off on its own. It was lovely to get so close to one πŸ’–.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back