• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Yellowlegs? Baskett Slough NWR, Oregon (1 Viewer)

notesfromtheroad

Hi all, I saw this shorebird at Baskett Slough NWR, near Salem, Oregon on July 11.

It feels like a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs to me, but I am not sure. In the binoculars view, it felt like there was a lot of cream-color on its head and neck, and the bill feels thicker than yellowlegs. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• piper.jpg
    piper.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 58
When I saw this picture, I thought: its a Ruff, isnt it? But this would be a vagrant in the US. So I hope for others to jump in, you know I havent experience from the US

This is a puzzler. It does look rather like a juvenile, but of what? As far as I can tell, no species that would have a juvenile that might look like this should be breeding anywhere near Salem, Oregon. I also agree it looks rather like a Ruff. Perhaps those who have more experience with Ruff than do most of us in the U.S. can be of help. Could a molting Ruff look like this? Would a Ruff be molting in mid July?

This is a puzzler. It does look rather like a juvenile, but of what? As far as I can tell, no species that would have a juvenile that might look like this should be breeding anywhere near Salem, Oregon. I also agree it looks rather like a Ruff. Perhaps those who have more experience with Ruff than do most of us in the U.S. can be of help. Could a molting Ruff look like this? Would a Ruff be molting in mid July?
Here are some more photos...I may add a few more after this. Thank you all for the replies.

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 33
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 33
  • bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 33
It sure looks like a juvenile to me, but plumage and behavior (look at feeding posture in last image, "bird6.jpg") point to Wilson's Phalarope. Juveniles of this species will show those broad buff fringes to the upperparts.
I had dismissed Wilson's Phalarope because I thought the bill was too short and thick. Looking at some pictures of juveniles online, I agree this is a good possibility.

Yes, the new pictures confirm, that this isnt a Ruff. Exact streaking and colour of the back is unusual, as is unusual head pattern with such a wide pale eye-ring, that results in an open pale face.
Yes, this isnt helpful, I assume it has been identified already? Thanks to all!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back