• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

light weight pair of binoculars for older eyes? (1 Viewer)

With the Maven's, however from the start there was slight blackouts. Not full on. But partial.
Try getting them a little further away from your eyes and see if that doesn't help. I had a lot of problem with many binoculars giving me blackouts early on and it turned out that I was holding them to close to my eyes.

Try getting them a little further away from your eyes and see if that doesn't help. I had a lot of problem with many binoculars giving me blackouts early on and it turned out that I was holding them to close to my eyes.
Thank you for all the expert advice. This definitely sounds like me -- I'm definitely more of a "hugger" when it comes to binos and prefer them pressed up close. Perhaps this is why, on first impression, the eyecups stood out to me so much as well.

I gave the mavens to the intended person, will report back once I have more. TBD whether they will be suitable for them or I will have to pay to ship them back.

Also regarding the fov from the first impression. It definitely felt a bit clipped off but not by much. I don't normally pay attention to focus wheel behavior though this forum has made me more cognizant of it (apparently it's make or break for birding?). But on first impression the focuser wheel felt very easy to turn once you overcame the initial force needed to get it going. So it's hard to start but then very easy to turn -- which potentially could lead to overturning the focuser knob. That said, this is a new bino and who knows how it would behave after some good use. Finding focus didn't feel that hard but I wonder how it will go for someone with no bino experience.

Also a few years ago I use to own a kowa 6.5x32mm, which for me, was very comfortable to hold. I don't remember the colors seeming so saturated in the kowa per se as they did in the short session yesterday with the mavens. I do remember the kowas being very clear though. I once let a friend try them who never tried any mid tier or higher binos and he immediately exclaimed "they're so clear". The mavens might feel like their brighter but it's really hard to tell going by memory after so many years. Each bino does feel like it has its own personality/character.

Edit: One more thing regarding the mavens. I was under the impression they were double hinge which looking at the product picture they're obviously not. So when they close I definitely wouldn't call them compact. There's a fair amount of space between both barrels. It might be suitable for a napsack of maybe a coat pocket. But I definitely wouldn't want to carry them in pants pocket on top of keys plus wallet. It's probably do-able but the less weight for me the better -- just my subjective impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back