• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little or Intermediate Egret? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I am little confused with this egret (Pic #1). Based on the line from its bill to below its eye, all the way back to the eye, suggested to me it is unlikely Little Egret. Also based on the size comparison (Pic #2) between Great Egret & Grey Heron, it is absolutely smaller.

My guessing it could be Intermediate?

It is rare opportunity for me to see different species of Egrets standing side by side.

Thanks for any help.

Taken last December, 2020, near Sarawak beach, Malaysia.

Pic #1
PIC-20201219-115322-DSC07500-A7R3.JPG

Pic #2
PIC-20201219-115319-DSC07498-A7R3_c.JPG

Pic #3
PIC-20201219-115319-DSC07498-A7R3_a.JPG

Pic #4
PIC-20201219-115319-DSC07498-A7R3_b.JPG

It's a Great Egret. The yellow bill rules out Little Egret. It has a long bill, long and slender neck and long gape line compared to Intermediate.

Great Egret can be confusing regarding size and can sometimes look surprisingly small. I'm never sure to what extent this is individual variation (maybe sex-related?) or optical illusion. In this case, I think this may be a slightly smaller individual and the posture of the bird, with the neck held in a curve and slightly horizontal stance turned slightly away from the camera, is emphasising this difference. There may also be an size illusion in the photograph. If you measure the body or leg length of the two egrets, the difference between them is actually not that large.

Thank you John & Vyomkesh. This is very interesting given its body size were completely smaller. Despite the possible "optical illusion" and distance perspective, based on my own observation and the following additional factor, it is smaller in size.

PIC-20201219-115319-DSC07498-A7R3_1.JPG
The upper part of the legs shorter, the width and the knee also appeared smaller. Given it is closer to me, it should appear bigger in relative to distance perspective.

PIC-20201219-115325-DSC07502-A7R3.JPG
Even with the behind Great Egret head down, the front Egret still appear small where it should appear bigger in size.

It is indeed an interested new factor for me to look out for. Luckily still can see the bill and the gape extends beyond the eye.

Many thanks again guys.

I have been confused by similar small-looking Great Egrets in Hong Kong and I've seen them discussed elsewhere in East Asia (I think Japan). As well as size, they also seem to differ slightly in behaviour, with more tendency to stand in vegetation or at the edge of a pond rather than in open water like the larger birds (as is the case with your two birds).
But I don't know what the explanation is - whether they are a different taxon or just individual variation.
(Before anyone comments, this isn't a difference between modesta and alba - these are smaller than typical modesta, and the larger bird here is probably modesta; alba should be even larger).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back