• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live Hove Nesting Dove Cam! (1 Viewer)

pinter75

Hi,

I live in Hove, UK and have had 2 Collared Doves (I think) decide to nest behind my satellite dish. They tried to build a nest and it quickly fell apart. So I added some tie-wraps to prevent them coming back. This actually gave them a base to nest on - their new nest was bigger and better than the last. I noticed 1 egg in the nest so I decided to let them continue as they were not disturbing the satellite signal. I built a simple cardboard enclusure around the back of the dish. This is because the dish is near my balcony and each time I went out the Dove would fly away. After a while of checking to see what was going on I noticed that the Doves were no longer there. I had a closer look and to my surprise there was 1 egg and 1 chick who was about 3 days old. The mother and father Dove keep returning to feed it etc.

So I have hooked up a micro wireless camera which feeds the current image to my server. The camera has captured 7000 odd motion detected frames so far. The last 50 are shown on the site. I occasionally make a short move from the captured frames so far, if you want to see it please ask.

Here is the URL (it is on my home PC and limited to 5 connections at any one time - so if it is busy check again + I turn the cam off at night.).

The Live Hove Dove Cam!

Steve C.

I am a little worried about this dove's 1st flight. I am 6 floors up with a busy road below. The only way out is over the edge of the balcony. So if this dove gets it wrong on the 1st attempt, it has a long way to go and possibly problems if it lands in the road. Are doves good 1st time fliers? It seems eager to go - lots of wing stretches and flapping in the nest.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back