• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (2 Viewers)

Best view I have had for a while with nice close up by camera. Certainly are a lot of geese about. Plenty to watch on loch even if the main stars ae not about, pity I am 2hrs away.

it looks like chick number 1 aka as Gutsie has flown the nest and is awol. She hasn't been seen since Friday. They.re keeping their eyes peeled loch side just to be sure though. She's an early bird just like her mum it seems.

Hi Shelagh7Y, I forgot you are SallyHennyPenny over here! Do you mean: "Lel et al, yes, young ospreys flying off early occasionally occurs. Thank you for the reminder. Life is a surprise. I myself am off now. The very best, for the very best blog people! Rinchen" ? I think he just is saying goodbye and it's for his "weekend", he normally has Monday and Tuesday off. I think he appreciates our support and that his (and the other rangers') work has really made a difference in many lives, such as Carol R, who posted today about the webcam and blog helping her through the loss of her brother, and her daughter's move to NZ. And I have posted an entry that he hasn't moderated yet, thanking him for staying late and panning around a bit, helping out many people (like me) who really can only watch on our weekends. And in fact he hasn't left, or at least not until just a few minutes ago, because he just barely panned the camera back to the "nighttime" standard nest view. What a guy!:bounce:

Shelagh7Y, Rinchen has responded and I hope you are reassured, all is well. :)

Hi Marjorie, yes, I have just seen his reply, that is why I have deleted my previous post. Didn't want to set any rumours off. It was just with him saying 'life is a surprise, and I myself are off now' - I thought, OMG he's leaving today. His reply did make my laugh, I dont know who was more confused, me or him. Anyway all is well now.

I do hope everything is alright with Juvie 1 marjorie, and that she has just migrated early, and she is safe. Like the Loch Garten people have said though, their eldest chick did the same last year, so I think she is alright. If she has gone, I wish her a safe and easy fishing passage.

The female Beatrice that started her migration on the 11th I think, appears to be making very good progress. One day she covered approximately 250 miles, which is quite amazing really.

Ah yes, you thought he was migrating but he was just going to his "perch" in Dunkeld! LOL yes his response was quizzical, and I think he was in a hurry, after checking on Dad's visit just as he was closing up shop for the day.
About the juvies: I really wish I could tell them apart! Well, the only sure way to know they're both still around would be to see them both on the nest together!! If juvie 1 has migrated, hmm perhaps this really is another indication that she is a female and her internal clock is set for an early departure! All we can do is hope for her safe travels. She certainly is at the peak of health, and at a good weight etc. I'd feel better if she had been seen catching a fish, but there was arguably a succussful fishing expedition by a chick while Ann B was visiting two weeks back (couldn't go into the official records because the actual catch was not caught on film or video.) I hope perhaps we'll see tomorrow that she has just been exploring a bit, and perhaps fishing at Butterstone, and back to the home patch for a few more days. But as you say, this isn't too early for her to be gone, if in fact she has begun her migration. Fingers crossed that wherever she is, she's fine. :)

Empty nest, and no sounds of any ospreys that I can hear... Gotta run to work now. I will be curious to check back in tonight and see if any of them have shown up again. I gather that the weather has turned a bit, and that might have spurred them on to get out while the getting is good! But slim is probably still missing his mummy!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back