• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (3 Viewers)

tom she probably has worms. They all probably do. Would you worm them if you could? I used to treat mine for mange and worms in jam pieces.

Ann, no sign of mange but I guess I could worm them they way they eat the food. Do you just use dog treatment? Is it OK for cubs?

I went on a walk round yesterday afternoon and was pleased with the amount of Whitethroats and the nesting Great Crested Grebes. I also saw my first wild otter on the Clyde, so was delighted!

Lucky you never managed to see otters yet and have looked in 2 areas they are known to be about, what time do you go? I think maybe I am too late to see them. Enjoyed walk today again a lot of whitethroat and I think a sedge warbler about but not great with warblers. Reed bunting and family of Merganser on river good stuff. Never saw the GCG's.

Oh well caught up and nest is quiet a certain person is calling as I have been out all day on the walk then collecting parents and someone is feeling ignored better go. Will put laptop on though :)

Hi Nick,
No, I haven't gotten the Laphroaig yet; it was so hot yesterday I couldn't imagine drinking it, I just wanted to get my errands done and get home to drink iced tea. (By the way, in Washington State we can buy wine and beer at every grocery store, but the spirits are only sold in State stores and they don't seem to be near anywhere else I go.) I was going to drink a large Guinness later on, but didn't even get that far! Today I may be able to get it, and I might use my birthday as the excuse (28 June) to have a dram tomorrow evening.
Just woke up (I was up until 2AM my time, couldn't take my eyes off the Lady and brood and how good they looked!!!) Nice to see another glorious day at the Loch and Rinchen is doing a brilliant job at the camera. Those chicks are flapping their wings more all the time!

Big Happy Birthday for tomorrow, have a great one! Have just added on to your blog post that i'm off in nov. (not sure of date) and that will be my earliest opportunity to get back across to visit Lowes. Tom and Delia have already recommended the Taybank and their stovies to me, so that's one i look forward to - would love to come and hear you play fiddle too!! B :)

Lucky you never managed to see otters yet and have looked in 2 areas they are known to be about, what time do you go? I think maybe I am too late to see them. Enjoyed walk today again a lot of whitethroat and I think a sedge warbler about but not great with warblers. Reed bunting and family of Merganser on river good stuff. Never saw the GCG's.

Surprisingly, I saw the otter at about 4.30 yesterday, between the Centenary Hide and Chestnut Walk, on the far bank. I normally go to the reserve in the mornings (especially at weekends) to avoid the unsavouries that have a certain pastime in the hides.

Thats good that you saw the Reed Buntings. I saw either a juv or female in front of Centenary yesterday. Were they Goosanders that you saw on the river? There was a female with 7 young about yesterday.

The GCGs are nesting to the left of the raft, when viewed from the Phoenix Hide. Hopefully some youngsters soon.:t:

Ann, no sign of mange but I guess I could worm them they way they eat the food. Do you just use dog treatment? Is it OK for cubs?

i get my tablets from the vet and they can be used on pups. Not sure about the stuff you can buy at morrisons. I don't use bob martin because i.ve heard bad things :-(. There's an organisation in derby who rescue foxes who would advise more. If you google derby fox rescue you should find it.

Were they Goosanders that you saw on the river? There was a female with 7 young about yesterday
l
You are right it was Goosanders not even Pimms for an excuse :)
I was down by David Livingstone Memorial towards Kylepark around 4:30 some weeks ago and we could hear otters splashing and the local fisherman assurred me that was what we were hearing but just round a bend with heavy growth that stopped us seing them but at that time it was almost dusk suprised indeed you saw them yesterday. It is where I look though so live in hope!

Last edited:
i get my tablets from the vet and they can be used on pups. Not sure about the stuff you can buy at morrisons. I don't use bob martin because i.ve heard bad things :-(. There's an organisation in derby who rescue foxes who would advise more. If you google derby fox rescue you should find it.

Will google Ann. I dont usually interfere though but willing to think about it if worthwhile and not over expensive as it costs me a fortune in seed, dog food etc at the moment.

My Mum and Dad kept up with the drama while down South and could not get over recovery. See she is standing proud while that pair are still lazing about :)

Will google Ann. I dont usually interfere though but willing to think about it if worthwhile and not over expensive as it costs me a fortune in seed, dog food etc at the moment.

i think my tablet was one or two pounds. Some vets won't sell it but my vet is good. Drontal plus is what i used.

Big Happy Birthday for tomorrow, have a great one! Have just added on to your blog post that i'm off in nov. (not sure of date) and that will be my earliest opportunity to get back across to visit Lowes. Tom and Delia have already recommended the Taybank and their stovies to me, so that's one i look forward to - would love to come and hear you play fiddle too!! B :)
Thanks for the birthday wish, Nick!
This is making me get more motivated to try to make sure my trip happens, regardless of the economy or job schedule. I need to leave my current job if I can (staff cut by 25%, workload was already more than we could handle at full capacity so conditions are too stressful) so if I manage to get another job I may not be able to take my usual November holiday but if at all possible I will do it. I try to go to the Thursday night fiddle lesson at the Taybank with Pete Clark teaching (he is brilliant!) and later the students have a session in the bar at about 8:30PM or 9PM. I hope the lessons will still be happening this fall, Pete has been doing them for 8 years or more, long may they continue!

Happy birthday from me to Marjorie. Sorry to hear about your job guess its the same everywhere but there are only so many 'efficiency' savings you can make before the staff start to crackup. At least we have the birds to relax with:t:

This is making me get more motivated to try to make sure my trip happens, regardless of the economy or job schedule. I need to leave my current job if I can (staff cut by 25%, workload was already more than we could handle at full capacity so conditions are too stressful) so if I manage to get another job I may not be able to take my usual November holiday but if at all possible I will do it. I try to go to the Thursday night fiddle lesson at the Taybank with Pete Clark teaching (he is brilliant!) and later the students have a session in the bar at about 8:30PM or 9PM. I hope the lessons will still be happening this fall, Pete has been doing them for 8 years or more, long may they continue!

I hope things go well, sorry to hear about the job situation.
I have to check in work which dates i've booked (i think it's only 3/4 days) but i certainly want to visit again!
Had i known just how wrapped up i was going to become (sure everyone there knew but kept it quiet!), in the ospreys and the forum/blog, i'd have planned my hols accordingly, as it is they were already sorted, but wiser for next year!!
It sounds like there could be a few raucous november nights in the Taybank!!
Tom, i don't think it'll be a pimms outing somehow!! lol B :) B :)

Ann, you seen the owls lately? Tried the cams a couple of times yesterday and just now, but both blank?! Kind of miss that huge ball of fluff with the three faces!! lol :-O

Ann, you seen the owls lately? Tried the cams a couple of times yesterday and just now, but both blank?! Kind of miss that huge ball of fluff with the three faces!! lol :-O

two nights its been off :-(. Hopefully back tomorrow. Their huge and their parents don't stay with them now.

There's a terrific thunderstorm here just now. and blowing a gale.

Hope the nest survives.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back