• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (3 Viewers)

Tom, i can almost hear you preparing Haggis stovies in your kitchen, and that faint, but distinct pop as the cork top squeezes free of the Laphroaig bottle!! lol B :) Looks like another "fly free zone" this evening!

It has been reported elsewhere there has been a fledge. I didn't see it myself but was sent a text at 18.51 by a friend who did. She says it was away about 8 mins.

I'm sorry I've missed it! Something odd w/my Cam feed though, I could only see one chick w/its back to me for ages, and then the Cam refreshed and suddenly there were mom and chicks all screeching over a fish. Not quite sure what happened but it sure seemed very quiet and then all that action. And now there's rain on the lens (or poo), I'm getting a pretty foggy view at the moment.

This raises an issue though. If this has not been the fledge, and it happens tomorrow morning UK time but before midnight my time, do we have 2 winners? I suppose I should capitulate now that we need to go by UK time.
A shame the rangers have apparently turned off the blog for the day. If this hasn't been just another "chick out of Cam range" error, we won't be able to verify it unless someone posts a clip of it on Youtube! I'm going to go search now, will let you know if I find one.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for someone to post actually seeing a fledge personally. So far we just have second-hand info. I have been trying to watch most of the day but I was away for awhile and Cam1 seems not to have been displaying correctly for me. I just searched Youtube and the most recent clip I could find was from yesterday.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for someone to post actually seeing a fledge personally. So far we just have second-hand info. I have been trying to watch most of the day but I was away for awhile and Cam1 seems not to have been displaying correctly for me. I just search Youtube and the most recent clip I could find was from yesterday.

Not seen anything, but i too, was confused by what i was (or wasn't) seeing on the nest! Cam 2 didn't make it any clearer, but it looked like only one on the nest for a while! It's all gone a bit Dr. Who again!! lol
Well Marjorie, i'm impressed! I resorted to cheating (only just ahead of Tom it seems!) but you've thrown a legitimate spanner in the works, with two time zone winners! Solution: Tom, make massive helpings of virtual stovies, Marjorie and I will each bring Laphroaig, and we'll have a virtual binge!! lol B :) :-O

Not seen anything, but i too, was confused by what i was (or wasn't) seeing on the nest! Cam 2 didn't make it any clearer, but it looked like only one on the nest for a while! It's all gone a bit Dr. Who again!! lol
Well Marjorie, i'm impressed! I resorted to cheating (only just ahead of Tom it seems!) but you've thrown a legitimate spanner in the works, with two time zone winners! Solution: Tom, make massive helpings of virtual stovies, Marjorie and I will each bring Laphroaig, and we'll have a virtual binge!! lol B :) :-O

Sounds good! B :)

It has been reported elsewhere there has been a fledge. I didn't see it myself but was sent a text at 18.51 by a friend who did. She says it was away about 8 mins.

i.m not sure. Its hard with the camera being blown off the left hand side of the nest so we can't see. I know one of the chicks likes sitting on the left then it launches itself to the right looking like for all the world its just landed lol. People at the hide will confirm tomorrow.

I haven't watched fledging before but I sort of expected that once the first flight is done, the chick would do more and more; but they have both remained on the nest for the evening. I don't suppose we'll know for sure until the rangers update the diary tomorrow, but those of you who have seen fledging: In your experience, would the chick fly once and then not again for the remaining 2-3 hours of daylight? Or would the chick make flight after flight, once it realized it could fly?

Well it's certainly confusing, and very frustrating, but they're making sure there's drama at every stage of proceedings! I obviously have no idea how this compares to previous years, but it's made my first season really something to remember!
For what my inexperienced view is worth, gut feeling is that there hasn't yet been a fledge, but i'll duck all the bullets if that's a no-no!! lol
Is it selfish to hope that's true purely because i've not yet seen a fledge as it happens?! :h?:

I haven't watched fledging before but I sort of expected that once the first flight is done, the chick would do more and more; but they have both remained on the nest for the evening. I don't suppose we'll know for sure until the rangers update the diary tomorrow, but those of you who have seen fledging: In your experience, would the chick fly once and then not again for the remaining 2-3 hours of daylight? Or would the chick make flight after flight, once it realized it could fly?

Chicks are very variable in their habits after fledging. Some take a flight and then not fly again for a few days. Others fly quite regularly after their first flight.

That's exactly what i thought Marjorie, but i'll obviously stand corrected! It definitely makes things even more intriguing for sure! Don't want to go to bed, but have to be in work at 5, so hope darkness dictates things now! :-O

Well it's certainly confusing, and very frustrating, but they're making sure there's drama at every stage of proceedings! I obviously have no idea how this compares to previous years, but it's made my first season really something to remember!
For what my inexperienced view is worth, gut feeling is that there hasn't yet been a fledge, but i'll duck all the bullets if that's a no-no!! lol
Is it selfish to hope that's true purely because i've not yet seen a fledge as it happens?! :h?:

Well here is the video! See http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=LOL1stFledging2010-0710.mp4

Chick #1 is 51 days old today. It is certainly old enough to fledge as I have seen chicks as young as 49 days fledge.

Indeed I think 52 days is statistically the most likely fledging day.

Friend says cam followed chick and Marge who took off after it. Hope they update soon to confirm.

the night time cam has been on since 5 when i asked them to put it on as the hd one wasn't working. I don't think one fledged. Looks like a false alarm.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back