• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of The Lowes Ospreys 2010 (5 Viewers)

The three young ospreys at Kielder Water, Northumberland, have all now fledged.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8306817.Kielder_ospreys_take_first_flight/

Like the yougsters at Loch of the Lowes, they are having a great time discovering the Big Big World out there!!

Thanks for that June, it's great to hear of yet another successful nest (love their names btw!), although it does remind us that the season is drawing close to it's end and i know i'm going to miss Marje, Frank, and the juvies when they leave Lowes shortly - it's been a dramatic first season for me, and it's all etched firmly in my mind - and my heart if i'm to be honest! ;)

oh don.t :-( what on earth will we do? I know i have 4 months of dusting to do. I don.t need postits in this house. We just write in the dust. *sigh*.

Funny after Linda walked into the bungalow we stayed on holiday last week there has been a strong suggestion that ours needs considerable cleaning and decorating so guess what I will be doing. Here is hoping they are late leaving and I get a stay of execution :-O

The three young ospreys at Kielder Water, Northumberland, have all now fledged.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8306817.Kielder_ospreys_take_first_flight/

Like the youngsters at Loch of the Lowes, they are having a great time discovering the Big Big World out there!!

Thanks for that news, that's fabulous!
But I just wanted to yell at the guy: "Unhand that osprey! How dare you??" I know he was just ringing the bird but it seems so wrong for a human being to touch them, and in both shots the bird has this expression of total humiliation and outrage! Part of what I love about ospreys is that they are so wild!

two fish delivered this morning one by Frank and it looks like one by Marge. Means she's still around. The miserable rain thats forecast may be the push she needs to get going. Enjoy her while you can.

its looking very likely that our Marge has gone. She hasn't been spotted since 10.30. Of course she may just be hiding but time will tell. Whenever she goes i wish her a safe migration and a healthy winter in sunnier climes. And if she feels up to it i hope she comes back to her summer home in 2011. One things for sure is that she's the most amazing bird and this year has had everything in it from absolute joy to heartbreaking moments. I'm missing her already. :-(

its looking very likely that our Marge has gone. She hasn't been spotted since 10.30. Of course she may just be hiding but time will tell. Whenever she goes i wish her a safe migration and a healthy winter in sunnier climes. And if she feels up to it i hope she comes back to her summer home in 2011. One things for sure is that she's the most amazing bird and this year has had everything in it from absolute joy to heartbreaking moments. I'm missing her already. :-(

Oh well she certainly gave some drama this year, agree bon voyage and have a great winter Marge. Probably pop back any minute now I have said that!

Oh well she certainly gave some drama this year, agree bon voyage and have a great winter Marge. Probably pop back any minute now I have said that!

what a year. We could never have predicted what happened. One of the chicks made a fleeting visit to the nest a few minutes ago. It squawked and left.

what a year. We could never have predicted what happened. One of the chicks made a fleeting visit to the nest a few minutes ago. It squawked and left.

It's been some year for sure - i could never have predicted what's happened in my first season of watching! Obviously, the initial sadness for those of you familiar with Eric when he didn't return, followed by all the early antics of Frank, who at first looked as though he'd "failed the interview!" but turned into a superstar! And then, the sheer joy i had at seeing my first hatchings as they happened, that blew me away!
Of course the real low point was those 3 days when Marje lay stricken on the nest, and the resounding relief and jubilation when she rallied, and then more joy for me seeing the first fledge which was another emotional "first" for me (sadly missed the second!) Considering i first logged on to the cam just to have a look, i was totally absorbed almost instantly, and i'm eternally grateful for all the input and insight i've gained from everybody on this forum, and the team and blog at LOTL - As i've said before, i'm definitely in for the long haul now!
I would certainly never have predicted becoming so emotionally affected by a family of ospreys and so quickly developing such affection for Marje, so Ann, Tom, once again, my name is Nick and i'm an osprey addict!! lol B :)

Oh well chick calling on nest just now to be fed, first I have seen for a couple days though admitedly not been on a lot.

lol!! Yes tiger i think she's gone. Alison has done a lovel clip of her final flight. Have you seen it? Its over 24 hours now.

Yes I have seen it. A wonderful farewell video isn't it?

I know that Marge usually just goes but other females have gone for a few days and then come back one last time before setting off on the long journey.

Wonder if we will ever see her again?

Yes I have seen it. A wonderful farewell video isn't it?

I know that Marge usually just goes but other females have gone for a few days and then come back one last time before setting off on the long journey.

Wonder if we will ever see her again?

i'd like to think we will BUT only if she is well and strong enough to cope with another season. My head says the priority is for a healthy breeding pair of osprey on the nest in 2011. My heart says i want our Marge back.

I loved you long, I loved you well
Please don't make me say farewell

Your beauty and strength are unsurpassed
My memories of you will forever last

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back