• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a good budget binocular with ED glass 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I just got the Vortex Viper 8x42. It is very good, better then my Diamondback which was also good. I'm sure the Razor's are better, but I got a good price on the Viper.

How big of a difference was there between the two barrels? And how were you determining it?
For short distance, I "measured" the FOV of each telescope (separately) in number of bricks, looking at a brick wall, keeping the same origin.
For longer distance, same method but with parked cars.
I do not know what to believe.

The ED lens version of the Celestron Nature DX is on Amazon for $147 right now with a $20 coupon applied at checkout on top of that. Gets good reviews and a nice large field of view at 7.5.

I just got the Vortex Viper 8x42. It is very good, better then my Diamondback which was also good. I'm sure the Razor's are better, but I got a good price on the Viper.
Cool, my dad has a Vortex Diamondback that he bought for hunting but I am using it for now. Honestly I am happy with it but since I will be buying binoculars I will want a decent pair. Although the Viper is more than I would like to pay (maybe I could get used with the warranty?). What ever I get I would like it to have a good warranty.

P.S. I like your Psalm verse.

Last edited:
I think for now I am going to hold off from buying until I go to some store where I can try different binos for myself.
This is a very good price for a very good bino. Punches way above its price point.

Just went through a week of researching birding bins and was overwhelmed... way too much info out there! But, some of the feedback above is pretty good based on what I read. I purchased the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 yesterday at Cabela; store price was $239.99 but got a $30 discount using my Cabela credit card which brought it down to $209.99.
Why the Vortex? Almost every birding site reviewed it as one of the top bins with great optics, 396' FOV, 17mm eye relief, solid rubber coated body/metal (Monarch 5 is plastic) and the revised lenses have all the coatings and protection you need for being in the field. Warranty forever (except is stolen or you lose it) and transferable if sold. No receipt needed; if you have it they take care of it!
I examined the 10x42 Diamondback and the Vortex Viper 8x42 and found them just a tad larger, heavier; the Diamondback 8x42 felt good in hand and pretty easy to handle focusing, etc.
Just as a note: the Celestron Nature DX ED ($149 new on any sites) seemed to get some exceptional reviews for optics and general ease of use with some comparing it to many higher priced bins. The TrailSeeker is the upgraded version and at $289 more expensive but also gets great reviews.
The 8x42 Vortex Diamondback HD is a great compromise between cost and still gets super ratings for optics. The way to go?!

Just jumping in here Eastern WA Birder to wish you a warm welcome from the members of BirdForum. ;)

You picked the right sub-forum for your inquiry on Bins. We're glad to have you here with us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Just went through a week of researching birding bins and was overwhelmed... way too much info out there! But, some of the feedback above is pretty good based on what I read. I purchased the Vortex Diamondback HD 8x42 yesterday at Cabela; store price was $239.99 but got a $30 discount using my Cabela credit card which brought it down to $209.99.
Why the Vortex? Almost every birding site reviewed it as one of the top bins with great optics, 396' FOV, 17mm eye relief, solid rubber coated body/metal (Monarch 5 is plastic) and the revised lenses have all the coatings and protection you need for being in the field. Warranty forever (except is stolen or you lose it) and transferable if sold. No receipt needed; if you have it they take care of it!
I examined the 10x42 Diamondback and the Vortex Viper 8x42 and found them just a tad larger, heavier; the Diamondback 8x42 felt good in hand and pretty easy to handle focusing, etc.
Just as a note: the Celestron Nature DX ED ($149 new on any sites) seemed to get some exceptional reviews for optics and general ease of use with some comparing it to many higher priced bins. The TrailSeeker is the upgraded version and at $289 more expensive but also gets great reviews.
The 8x42 Vortex Diamondback HD is a great compromise between cost and still gets super ratings for optics. The way to go?!
Very well said. Basically you can get almost as good optics in the 200-600 USD range as the ones that cost many times more.
Probably will go to that same Cabelas and test their bins.
I also welcome you, Eastern WA Birder, I too am from eastern WA (Spokane)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back