• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new binos 300-500£: help me to reduce my list of options plz (1 Viewer)

Glare comes from the ocular then? So could winged eye cups not eradicate this.

I'm not an expert but IME eye shields will sometimes help with "glare" but not will not eliminate it. Strictly speaking eye shields don't eliminate glare. But it seems to me glare occurs in some lighting conditions which also cause reflections off the oculars which causes additional image degradation. The eye shields eliminate that part of the problem in those situations.

Mike

Fun story...I will occasionally open my back kitchen door and sit at my breakfast table to watch the Blue Jays and Cardinals flit around.
With one pair of my binos, I always had a small blue dot in my peripheral left barrel.
Couldn't image what it might be. Finally one day while trying on eye shields, it went away. It became obvious then that the blue was coming in via the side vent between my face and the eye-piece.
I tracked it down,...as it turned out to be the blue LED time on my oven, which was 75 degrees to left of my view point. the eye shields deleted this reflection.
OFC, I also put duct tape over the LED clock face , as I don't need that particular clock with many others available.

Fun story...I will occasionally open my back kitchen door and sit at my breakfast table to watch the Blue Jays and Cardinals flit around.
With one pair of my binos, I always had a small blue dot in my peripheral left barrel.
Couldn't image what it might be. Finally one day while trying on eye shields, it went away. It became obvious then that the blue was coming in via the side vent between my face and the eye-piece.
I tracked it down,...as it turned out to be the blue LED time on my oven, which was 75 degrees to left of my view point. the eye shields deleted this reflection.
OFC, I also put duct tape over the LED clock face , as I don't need that particular clock with many others available.
Interesting story and valuable information!

You never know if a binocular is going have glare until you try it yourself. It is a personal phenomenon dependent on your eye sockets and facial structure. One person can experience glare with a binocular and somebody else will see none. For example, I didn't have any major glare problems with the Vortex Viper HD 10x50, but you did. That is why I recommend trying the binocular yourself before buying. You can use other peoples recommendations and use the reviews to guide you, but it is always best to try the binocular yourself.
Hi, I understand what you mean but brands like Opticron and GPO use the same eyecup design that eliminates a lot of glare and that's the point of a good product: to be well designed to fix the optical issues.
Considering how massive is the glare on the Viper, I doubt any facial structure can erase that, maybe mitigate it a bit at best.
No offense meant ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back