• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Cost Compacts (1 Viewer)

Wombat37

I've been lucky enough to arrange a vacation in Belize this year and I would like a recommendation for a pair of binoculars to take with me. I'm not a serious ornithologist but I believe that there is so much to see in this country that it would be a shame not to be able to see the wildlife out there because I don't have the right equipment.
There's going to be a lot of water (beaches, canoes, kayaks, topical rain forest, etc.) so good waterproofing will be essential.
I also would like a compact (or perhaps medium) pair so that they are not a burden to carry.
I would also like a close focusing capability to see insects etc. too.
Finally, I don't think a high cost will be justified as there's a good chance that they may be lost, dropped in a deep river or stolen |:d|

At the moment I have a pair of cheap Bushnell 10x40 roof prisms ($30 from Walmart) - these look OK to me (that indicates the level of my standards) but they're too big and are not waterproof.

I want to spend not much more than $100 and I'm thinking of the following:

Porro prisms
- Bushnell Legend 8x26 or 10x26
- Nikon Prostaff ATB 8x25, 9x25 or 10x25

Roof prisms
- Bushnell Excursion 8x28, 10x28 (or 8x32 or 10x32 if I can afford them)
- Celestron Outland LX 8x32
- Bunton Lite Tech 8x32 or 10x32

The Porro binoculars have smaller objectives - but I assume price for price, they should have better quality optics.

One option might be to keep my cheap Bushnells and risk destroying them on this trip.

Any comments and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
Vortex Spitfire 8.5 x 32 roof prisms. $139.00 at Eagle Optics, includes shipping. www.eagleoptics.com. Take a look at them, read their specs. Not the greatest optics in the world but otherwise they fit your requirements perfectly. They are in stock there.
Have a good vacation,
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob (Ceasar),

Thanks for the recommendation. I had not considered Vortex. The model you recommend is perhaps a bit outside my price range but I note that eagleoptics have the Vortex Spitfire 10x32 on sale with a $50 discount - this might be more affordable (and I have a fairly steady hand). Are these going to be of similar quality to the 8.5x32?

I note that the Spitfires use an aluminum (aluminium?) alloy frame. Do you know if this is this covered with some form of rubber or will the binoculars be easily dented?

If I was to pay ~$140 I was rather leaning towards the Bushnell Excusion - the 8x32 has a similar specification to the Vortex Spitfire 8.5x32 but also has phase-coated prisms and has received some good reviews.

I'm sure the decision would be much easier if I was spending a lot more money!

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
The Bushnell Legend 8x26 appears to be a good option. I have the full sized 8x42 porro and its optics are exceptional considering the cost. The compact is water/fogproof, robust, and boasts Bak-4 prisms with fully multicoated lenses. To me, that sounds like a good buy at around $80.

I think you will like the much wider FOV on the 8.5x over the 10x which is very narrow, even for a 10x. Their aluminum body has a rubber covering. Since they aren't phase coated you will also get a larger and more useful "sweet spot" in the 8.5. You will also find it much easier to locate active birds with the 8.5.

I'd forgotten about the Bushnell Excursion 8 x 32. Personally, I think I'd prefer them over the Vortex 8.5 what with their phase coating, lower price and wider FOV.

If the $100.00 price is a significant issue, and you can live with a bit longer close focus you could consider the Leupold Yosemite 6 x 30 which Eagle sells for $99.00 shipping included. Now, I own one, and I can assure you it is an outstanding binocular, but it is a porro prism. Close focus is about 10 feet based on my own estimate. They are waterproof, very bright and sharp, have a 420' FOV at 1000 yards and are built like the proverbial tank. My more or less educated guess is that they are probably optically better than the Vortex or Bushnell's mentioned above. They weigh 17 ounces and are 4 and 1/2 inches high. I wouldn't be afraid to take mine anywhere. There is also an 8 x 30 version that costs about $20.00 more. Check them out on Eagle's web site.
Good luck,
Bob

Last edited:
Porros will give a better view than roofs at that price, but bearing in mind your other criteria, that might be the best thing to sacrifice.

I wouldn't go bigger than 8x in a forest—7x would be better (the smaller the magnification the better the depth of field). The bigger the exit pupil diameter (size of the image reflected into your eyes) the easier and pleasanter the bins will be to use. Exit pupil diameter = objective size/magnification. 10x25 gives a 2.5mm image, 8x25 gives a 3.12mm image. You're used to a 4mm image

I would agree with Bob about the Yosemite, except for the close focus. I think he was very lucky with his. Mine are nearer the stated 5m and there are situations where you can't get back far enough to get something in focus. I wouldn't fancy the Bushnell Legend either—very small field of view.

Of the ones you list, the Nikon Prostaff 8x25 looks like the best porro. The best roof looks like the Bushnell Excursion 8x28. Excellent field of view and close focus and easy to carry at 431g. The 8x32 might be even better, but they're quite a bit bulkier and I would notice a big difference between carrying 432g and 581g. That extra 150g or 5oz around the neck all day will make itself felt.

I would dismiss the last option you mention—taking your 10x40. They'll annoy you right up till the moment they're ruined.

Whatever you eventually choose, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Michael.

Thank you all for the excellent advice.

Although I'm talking down-market here, it still would be a shame to spend $100 on binoculars that weren't suitable.
A big part of the the problem is that here in the backwaters in the USA (Connecticut!) my $30 10x42s seem to be very up-market. Most of the binoculars in the stores have huge magnifications, small objectives, in-built compasses and whistles etc. and seem to cost about $15.
I managed to find one store that had a few better ones but they had lost the key to the display cabinet some time ago :(
My point is that it's just not possible to try binoculars before I buy them online - hence the need for learned advice - for which I'm truly grateful.
By all accounts the Excursion 8x28 look the best bet for me (cost, specifications and good reviews). I like the look of the Excursion 8x32s but they are 50% higher in price (and heavier to carry around). I don't know how subjective an exit pupil difference between 3.5mm and 4.0mm would be anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Andy

I'd forgotten that Walm**t had a 90-day return policy so I was able to take back the $30 10x42s and get a full refund. I'd not really used them so I felt that this was ethical.

I put the extra money towards a pair of Bushnell Excursion 8x32 which I ordered from Eagle Optics (nice company - helpful and efficient). I got them because I was more concerned about the bulk rather than the weight in comparing them with the 8x28s. I was surprised to learn that two binoculars are the same size - so I went for the better ones.

I'm not an expert so I'd better be careful what I say in these forums but these Excursions do seem to be much better than the ones I took back. They appear to be very high in quality and are very substantial in their construction - heavy and solid (and will definitely sink if dropped into a river)!

The close-focusing is excellent - I can focus on my shoes while I'm standing up to see if I've tied up the laces and to confirm my height :)

Distance viewing looks good - the weight probably adds to the stability.

Nice planar image - the ones I returned had a rather severe pin-cushion distortion which gave me a bit of a headache.

The sharpness looks good throughout the image except for a touch of softness over the extreme left and right 5%.

There's a bit of chroma in areas of high contrast but not much.

In retrospect, I think I should have taken MacGee's advice and got the lighter 8x28s but I'm sure I will get on with these well too (they may be better anyway but I don't suppose I will ever know).

I'll see how they withstand a tropical rainforest at the height of the wet season next month. I suspect that they will survive better than I will.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
Hey Andy,
Can you report to us how these stand up when you get back? I use 8x42 Excursions which I think are quite fantastic for the price. However I also have some bushnell Trophys which have the addition of being nitrogen purged and am not sure which I should take into the rainforest..
Thanks
Damien

No, the 8x32 was right. Though there are quite a few other 28mm out there and they are pretty decent. But I think 32mm is a nice format, glad to see more models out there. One can get about 400 ft fov with most 8x32mm

Hey Andy,
Can you report to us how these stand up when you get back? I use 8x42 Excursions which I think are quite fantastic for the price. However I also have some bushnell Trophys which have the addition of being nitrogen purged and am not sure which I should take into the rainforest..
Thanks
Damien

I thought the Excursions were nitrogen purged but when I looked into it, nothing was stated on the packaging. They are stated to be fully waterproof and fogproof - quite how important the nitrogen purge is to get this I don't know. I am a research chemist and I always thought that fogging came from condensed water (in this scenario anyway) - so I don't really see what nitrogen has got to do with it - any dry gas (including air) should do. Also believe me, rubber o-ring seals will be permeable to air and water vapor over a period of time anyway.

The Excursion unlike the Trophy has phase correction coatings on the prisms so I suppose you pay your money and make your choice!

I don't intend to drop the Excursions in the river (if I can help it) but I'm sure that they will be used in a hot and wet environment. I'll report back on their robustness. Perhaps Bushnell will sponsor me on this trip?

Thanks

Andy

Disappointing

Well, I've now had my vacation in Belize and was lucky enough to see many wonderful birds (colorful toucans, kingfishers, woodpeckers, flycatchers, etc.) and many butterflies, reptiles and mammals as well.

Beforehand, I had carefully looked into the purchase of these Bushnell 8x32 Excursion binoculars (thank you for all the advice and suggestions I got from this forum) and had high expectations. In the event, on the very first day of my vacation, the focusing mechanism failed (spun loose) and so I was unable to use them at all! This must be one of the most disappointing purchases I have ever made - not only were these binoculars rendered useless but, to add insult to injury, I still had to carry these fairly heavy objects with me throughout my travels while I saw the interesting wildlife in the distance.

I know these weren't the best binoculars in the world but I thought they were of reasonable quality and expected them to last more than one day - there are many cheaper models that I'm sure would have been more relaible than this.

I hope Bushnell will honor their warranty agreement and get them repaired for me (although I still have to pay $20 for two-way mailing costs).

This whole matter has been a waste of time, effort and money. Perhaps I got a bad set or perhaps there is an inherent design fault in this model but I can't really recommend these binoculars on the basis of my limited (and terminal) experience.

Andy

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mr Limbo,

My apologies. I was using the word review rather loosely and was referring to comments from other owners in various forums (including this one) and reviews on vendor sites (not always reliable).

I did have problems with mine and although Bushnell were quite helpful when I talked to them, they couldn't supply a replacement set for 4 months (on backorder). When I reacted to this, they offered to send me a set of 10x32s instead - which I've now got.

I think the focusing mechanism still seems a bit delicate on these new ones (a bit stiff at near-focus) so I hope this pair do not fail too.

Other than that, they seem well built and give a good image - but I'm no expert :)

The problem with all focusing mechanisms is the end. There are gears in there, one must be a screw gear. When it comes to the end of the range, it must somehow prevent one from forcing it past the end point.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back