• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macronyx ameliae de Tarragon, 1845 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Macronyx ameliae de Tarragon, 1845 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Rosy-throated Longclaw Macronyx ameliae de Tarragon, 1845
Louise-Amélie de Turenne (DNF) was the wife of French explorer Marquis Leonce de Tarragon (1813–1897). The Marquis's mother was Amélie Louise Virginie Goislard de Villebresme (1788–1865). The longclaw may be named after either of these women. The original description is silent on the matter, perhaps deliberately so de Tarragon could avoid upsetting either lady.

The Key to Scientific Names
Amélie Louise Virginie Goislard de Villebresme Marquise de Tarragon (1788-1865) mother of French explorer and collector Louis-Charles-Léonce de Tarragon Marquis de Tarragon (d. 1897) (cf. Louise-Amélie de Turenne Marquise de Tarragon (fl. 1842) wife of Léonce de Tarragon (Beolens et al. 2014)) (Macronyx).

So indeed both are possible. I would tend to the wife Louise-Amélie de TURENNE as relatively newly married if 8 September 1842 is correct. Her life dates are still missing. So that needs some digging in Archive en ligne to get her dates. Generally the french people seem not to tend to use the first of all their names. This would also count against the mother (probably Virginie).

Elisabethe Thomassine Louise Amélie de Turenne
  • b. 2 Jan 1821, Paris, 1er Arr. : here, 100/101.
  • m. to Louis Charles Léonce de Tarragon, 7 Sep 1842, Paris, 11e Arr. : here, 16/51.
  • d. 11 Apr 1893, Paris, 8e Arr. : here, 28/31.
(She is certainly called "Amélie de Turenne" in various places, e.g., see : https://www.google.com/search?q="Amélie+de+Turenne"&tbm=bks. And the mother is called "Virginie Goislard de Villebresme", for example in the French Wikipedia. I'd tend to agree that his wife is a more likely dedicatee.)

Last edited:
Phascogale virginiae Tarragon 1847 (Red-cheeked Dunnart, now in Sminthopsis; OD), although lacking a proper dedication too, may be more likely to be named after his mother ?

Last edited:
Just to be complete:

Last edited:
It's a mammal, so would not be expected to be in the Key.

It's in the Eponym dictionary of mammals, but without an explanation:
Virginia
Virginia Dunnart Sminthopsis virginiae de Tarragon, 1847 [Alt. Red-cheeked Dunnart]​
The type specimen of this small marsupial is lost, and de Tarragon did not specify a type locality. The significance of the scientific name virginiae is not known. The species is found in northern Australia, southern New Guinea, and the Aru Islands.

Last edited:
I might have made it clear from the start ;)

My main point was that the fact that he named another species (be it a mammal) virginiae, in my opinion after his mother (I can find no other "Virginie" close to him), seems consistent with Macronyx ameliae being named after someone else.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back