• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

notjes

take this pic in Madagascar. Who can say me if it's a madagascar sparrowhawk - accipiter madagascariensis or if it's a france's sparrowhawk - accipiter francesiae ?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 3. épervier de frances - tana - Copie.JPG
    3. épervier de frances - tana - Copie.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 194
madagascar sparrowhawk is a species missing in the gallery and Opus -- please upload

Niels

Male Frances's is a much paler bird, as seen in the attached.

Attachments

• 0680 Frances's Sparrowhawk 1 (2) (800x599).jpg
    0680 Frances's Sparrowhawk 1 (2) (800x599).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 129
That would be another wery good image to add to the gallery, there is only a single (quite different) image there.

Niels

I'm a bit confused by these, not helped probably by mis'ided birds on t'internet.

But doesn't Madagascar Sparrowhawk have incredibly long toes? - http://www.arkive.org/madagascar-sparrowhawk/accipiter-madagascariensis/image-G26757.html

Male Frances's is a much paler bird, as seen in the attached.
What do you reckon to this one Mark, a mislabelled Frances's ? - http://www.arkive.org/madagascar-sparrowhawk/accipiter-madagascariensis/image-G104372.html

Must admit, I was thinking a young male Frances's(not that I've seen either), younger than Notje's link and a bluer version of this http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/frances039s-sparrowhawk-accipiter-francesii/high-tree-edge-rainforest- ?

Last edited:
Hi Notjes

Your bird is a Frances's Sparrowhawk. Madagascar Sparrowhawk is one of the most widely mis-identified birds in Madagascar. It is actually quite rare and hard to see. For every one I have seen, I will have seen 20+ Frances's. The frequently used Sinclair field guide does not help either.

Attached is one of the few Madagascar Sparrowhawks I have seen. Note it is a bigger bulkier bird, more finely barred below, with a streaked throat, and, as Mark says, longer legs and toes. It lacks the distinct mesial stripe of Frances's too.

Hope this helps

Pete

Attachments

• Madagascar Sparrowhawk 04.jpg
    Madagascar Sparrowhawk 04.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 116
Nice one Pete, I did wonder, but its been a long time since I looked at skins. It seems the internet is , once again littered with wrongly labelled images.

I read somewhere that Frances's (BBB ;)) can be stupidly approachable, unlike Madagascar, so most cracking shots, by default, tend to be FS, you've perhaps just proved that is not always the case.

Pete, as stated above, Madagascar Sparrowhawk is one missing in the opus and the gallery here. Can I use yours for Opus, and preferably have you upload this to the gallery as well?

Thanks
Niels

Cheers for the clarification Pete...not helpful when the fieldguide's off eh?? Will make a margin note in it for my trip.....
Out of interest, seeing that the Sinclair book is the default guide, what other species in it are a bit 'off'? I remember another thread you were talking about the near-mythical Dusky Greenbul and the illustrations were wrong for that bird...was that in reference to the Sinclair book too?

Ads

what other species in it are a bit 'off'? I remember another thread you were talking about the near-mythical Dusky Greenbul and the illustrations were wrong for that bird...was that in reference to the Sinclair book too?

Ads

Yeah, Dusky Greenbul would be the classic - a very widely strung species indeed. Two usual sources - the darker Spectacled Greenbuls on the Masoala (where Dusky almost certainly does not occur) and juvenile White-throated Oxylabes. Don't claim one without evidence!!

There are no documented recent records, except for one specimen in the last decade that I know of. Some interesting recent work on the Bernieridae has, I believe, shown that Dusky Greenbul is the sister species of Madagascar Yellowbrow. Must be a ground-dwelling skulker that is tough to see and, like Red-tailed Newtonia (another frequently strung bird - cf female Red-tailed Vanga), probably does not occur at sites on the regular circuit.

Cheers

Pete

Madagascar Sparrowhawk

Attaching two shots I took at Berenty in November 2012- one is a I believe a female or maybe imm. Frances's Sparrowhawk, but the other is more puzzling, it might be a juv Frances's perhaps but it was greyish above, had no pale marks on the head and looked to be adult basically. No mesial stripe, the throat looked pale. It had quite thick broad dark tail bars on the upper surface- no sure if this has any specific i. d. value though. It basically reminded me of a small version of Henst's Goshawk. I'd value opinions on its identity as there is so much confusion between these two. This was my third trip and this was the first time I had encountered even a possible Madagascar Sparrowhawk, so as Pete Morris says it's clearly rare and often misidentified.
Thanks

Attachments

• Frances's Sparrowhawk Berenty  F.jpg
    Frances's Sparrowhawk Berenty F.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 56
  • (Madagascar) Sparrowhawk Berenty - 14.jpg
    (Madagascar) Sparrowhawk Berenty - 14.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back