• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male Sprawk attempting to nest build, Epping Forest. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Found this male Sprawk yesterday sitting atop a spindly Hornbeam tree and directly above circa (25’) looking down on me with seemingly complete indifference.

Eventually it glided down to the ground and proceeded to pick up a branch, then took off back to the original perch high in the canopy having dropped the said branch.
Where it proceeded to attempt (without any success) a construction, with a much smaller previously secured twig.

This too failed miserably, I’ve not seen this behaviour before and was very surprised at the outcome, however my biggest surprise was the location choice for such a nest site, have to assume it was a relatively young male, not knowing his arse from his elbow! 😮

Attachments

• BD4B9B65-EB41-4A50-A447-0BF85BB68E4C.jpeg
    BD4B9B65-EB41-4A50-A447-0BF85BB68E4C.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 5AE6E6F2-DE2F-45D7-8A1F-B21DA8D82A29.jpeg
    5AE6E6F2-DE2F-45D7-8A1F-B21DA8D82A29.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back