• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (2 Viewers)

Hi Mike, just been reading my new copy of a tourist's guide to majorca and it says that Dartford warblers are there year round ? are they fairly sedentary on the island ?

Yes, sedentary but quite difficult to see! I have always had the best luck at Son Real, through Can Picafort on the road to Artá. I have rarely seen them away from this site. They are listed at Salobrar de Campos but despite this being my local patch I have never seen them there. They are easiest at this time of year obviously, so if you want to see them I suggest a trip to Son Real, not too far from s'Albufera. Good birding. Mike.

Yes, sedentary but quite difficult to see! I have always had the best luck at Son Real, through Can Picafort on the road to Artá. I have rarely seen them away from this site. They are listed at Salobrar de Campos but despite this being my local patch I have never seen them there. They are easiest at this time of year obviously, so if you want to see them I suggest a trip to Son Real, not too far from s'Albufera. Good birding. Mike.

cheers Mike, am really looking forward to coming out.

I've seen Dartford at Son Real on the 3 occasions that i've visited that site,
its not a bad little area if you time it right.

Been a good week for the regular species with good views of most hoped for species, though few migrants.

Biggest surprise was this morning at Albuferata when I bumped into a probable Siberian Chiffchaff (tristis). It was sub-singing occasionally and calling and I obtained poor recordings (on my phone!) and some pretty good photos. Will post more stuff when I'm home.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete. There has been a Siberian chiff-chaff reported so that adds weight. I will find out the exact location and report. Do
also let us know what you saw. Thanks. Mike

That's right, but sadly at the moment I don't see any staff there, not sure what is going on. I have always arrived at dawn but do not enter the reserve until I am told it is ok.

Do also let us know what you saw. Thanks. Mike

No worries Mike - I'll send you an annotated list and if you need more details, let me know.

Any bee-eaters around (I know it's early)? I have an 11 year old that would love to see one (and a wife) and tomorrow's our last day!

Cheers

Pete

Only one Bee-eater, just in, but a fly-over (like they often are here!) The back of the s'Albufera was always a good area but still a bit early. The area of Son Bosc is often good. Look forward to the list and thanks for doing that, much appreciated. Have a good day tomorrow. Mike

sibe chiffy present again this am though sadly silent in the poor weather. Spent most of its time on or near the ground, foraging in the dead umbellifers

The Siberian Chiffchaff

For anyone interested, here's a photo of the Siberian Chiffchaff I saw on 9/4 and 10/4 at Albuferata. I've not had time to sort out the recordings yet. Mike, where do you want me to send the list to?

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• sibe-chiff.jpg
    sibe-chiff.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 82
Great photo Pete, thanks. Is it possible to post the list here, or add a link for us to view it? Anywhere will do, just as long as we can get access to it. I always am interested in what people have seen. Hope you have had a great time. Mike

Great photo Pete, thanks. Is it possible to post the list here, or add a link for us to view it? Anywhere will do, just as long as we can get access to it. I always am interested in what people have seen. Hope you have had a great time. Mike

Had a great time thanks and saw my new bird (attached).

The list is exported straight from my database with the few comments I made - usually due to a new localized subspecies or whatever. If you need further details, let me know. I have detailed daily lists.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• Mallorca.doc
    161.5 KB · Views: 128
  • balearic 2.jpg
    balearic 2.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 101
Superb report Pete, looks like you had a great time. I have never had views like that of a Scop's owl and I live here! Thanks for taking the trouble to post, much appreciated. Mike

Arrived this morning for a three week stay to rain at the airport. By mid afternoon at s´Albufera the sun was starting to break through but still quite cool with a NE wind.

List of birds seen (in no particular order, but mostly in order see):
Swallow (lots)
Swift (even more)
Sand Martin (a few)
House Martin (a few)
Black-winged Stilt (small numbers but with nesting birds)
Mallard
Red-crested Pochard
Pintail (1 m)
Yellow-legged Gull
Marbled Duck (a singleton)
Spotted Flycatcher (potentially the first for the list here)
Red-knobbed Coot
Cetti´s Warbler
Redshank (a few)
Spotted Redshank (more numerous)
Greenshank (a few)
Blackbird
Great Tit
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Kentish Plover
Ringed Plover (potentially the first for the list here)
Garganey (2 drakes)
Cormorant
Kestrel
Little Egret
Cattle Egret
Snipe
Sardinian Warbler
Pochard
Sedge Warbler (one)
Chiffchaff
Pied Flycatcher (potentially the first for the list here)
Nightingale
House Sparrow
White Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail
Shoveler
Little Stint
Teal
Purple Gallinule
Osprey (3 together, fishing)
Marsh Harrier (a few)
Purple Heron
Peregrine
Stone Curlew
Audouin´s Gull

Not too bad a start for a couple of hours

Heard report of two Black-necked Grebe at the Depuradora, no doubt the ones on Pete´s list.

Best wishes

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back