• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Just back home today after 14 days based at Puerto Pollensa; no internet in the hotel Pollensa Park so couldn't make my postings as had hoped to do. Anyway a reasonable selection of birds following some bad weather over the past week. Finally picked up Red-rumped swallows Friday 13th evening at Abufereta. Female Rock thrush at Cala San Vacenti on Thurs 12 briefly. Golden Eagle over Albufera Friday 13th (is this a resident bird?) . Generally many migrants this last 7 days with redstarts replacing the black redstarts of previous week. Other good birds include Black-eared Wheatear (Boquer), Alpine swifts,Pallid swifts, 40+ Greater Flamingos (Salinas-Campos), Griffon Vulture (road near Cuber). For anyone wanting to see the Scops Owls at the back of the Pollentia/ Pollensa Park as photographed by Pete Morris they have been showing virtually every night around 21.00.
Both shearwaters off Formentor lighthouse Friday 13th morning in very rough seas.

A good trip all round despite the roads being very tricky to drive nowdays due to the 1000's of cyclists on the road! Orchids have been very good this week, 12+ species at least.

Matthew

Hi everybody, i just came back from Mallorca, where, unfortunately i didn't have access to internet. I'll write a little trip report later.

@Mattthebirder, Thank you for showing to me and my girlfriend the Scops Owl spot ! (it was on thursday the 12th) it was very kind of you :t:

Glad you both had a good time and look forward to the lists, thanks. Not the best year so far but still some great birds to see. I would love to know the Scop's owl site, I have yet to see one other than a dark spot flying past my bedroom window at night. Mike

Mike (and anyone interested); the Scops Owls are readily watched close (by many people staying at the Pollensa Park hotel). Driving into Puerto Pollensa from the south, take the old coast road along the sea front until reaching the left turning to the Pollensa Park hotel. It the very large hotel set back from the sea front with 8 levels. Having turned in, take the first left service track opposite the first Spar Shop. Best to park just inside the service track then walk @ 100 m or so to the back of the Pollentia hotel. Standing behind the Pollentia the owls will appear in the small trees by the track and will also fly up to the top right window slats on the Pollentia, and sit on the power line and other adjacent buildings. Get there for 20.45 but they usually call @021.00. They don't seem to mind a spot lamp and will remain close to the track if people are quiet.
Good luck!

Ps do you know the status of Golden Eagle?

Matthew

That's brilliant Matthew, many thanks. I am going next week so will make it a late one. Golden eagle is an interesting one. To my knowledge there is one known escape in the North aroung Pollença, s'Albufera and Albercutx area. I have seen it many times and it even has a name, "Bicinta" I think. There have been claims of other Golden eagles but I am sceptical and think these records relate to other species of raptor. So, just the one then, and not really a "tick", sorry! Mike

Hi

Had to go into Puerto Pollença late this afternoon to arrange car hire for the latter part of my stay. 5 Sandwich Terns on the rocks just off the beach, then decided to have a quick stroll around La Gola.

4 Raven stooging around the crest of the hills, several Crag Martin, Crossbills, Serin, Common Sandpiper, Chiffchaff, Yellow Wagtail, Sardinian Warbler, etc., plus a few new flowers (for me at least).

Got back to s´Albufera just before dusk and had at least 2 Scops Owl calling around the buildings at Sa Roca, the first I´ve actually heard this trip. I hope it´s a good omen.

Martin

A visit to Maria de la Salut today. A few kestrel with one being a possible Lesser, it was very distant much of the time. Also many Spanish wagtails, Red kite, Marsh harrier and Short-toed lark. Popped into s'Albufera afterwards and it all seemed a bit quiet! Hope it livens up for all the visitors. Mike

Hi Mike,
My wife and I are coming out to the island on May 19th for the first time. I'm hoping to do a little birding whilst taking in the scenery, culture, etc. I've thoroughly (I hope) digested the info on here and know roughly where to look for the lifers I need, but can you tell me if there is a regular definitive site where I can guarantee to see Thekla Lark? Will be staying near Pollensa. Many thanks.

Thekla larks can be seen from any piece of open country, ploughed fields and even large gardens. They are not rare here so you should have no trouble. Perhaps I am spoiled here in the south as there are probably more here than in the Pollença area. Visiting birders will know good sites and will help you. There will be lots else to see and you are in the right area for getting most Mallorca specials. Lots of other things to do and see, Pollença old town, Alcudia. Let me know if there is anything specific and I will try to help. Otherwise have a great time. Mike

Terry
Thekla Larks are widespread and there were some near the Albufera sewage treatment works with Short-toed Larks along the access road near the large area of waste ground with large boulders dumped on it. That is the road that begins through the Bus depot a mile or so in land from the double round about at C'an Picafort. There are two roads down to the treatment works lagoons so beware that if you don't pass through the bus depot you are on the wrong road! (There is a very useful viewing platform in the carpark overlooking the settling tanks; good for looking at raptors etc.) I'm sure Mike may have more regular sites but if you are based in Pollensa you may not venture to the south.
Let me know if you need any further details, it is a great birding destination!
Matthew

Hi Terry, I haven't been out birding for a while, but Thekla Lark is usually regular on the coastal road/path between Colonia Sant Pere and Betlem, not too far from Pollensa. I also saw Short-toed Lark yesterday (I live in Colonia Sant Pere). Mike might know some good sites too, sorry to jump in first Mike!
Clive.

Mike, Matt & Clive,

Very many thanks for your help. I am staying in a villa within the triangle that is Pollenca, Alcudia & Puerto Pollenca, and I have wheels for the week! As I have my non-birding lovely wife with me, I will be spending any birding time looking for those species which are lifers. I think I have everything covered now thanks to you, but not too sure about the status of Egyptian Vultures and if I am likely to see them at all?

Terry

Egyptian vulture is unlikely sadly. There is only one known pair in the whole of Mallorca, in the region of Artá. There was sometimes one knocking around the Bóquer Valley area so you may be lucky, but I have only ever seen one in four years. Good birding and do let us know what you see, Mike

Thanks Mike,
I've heard so many stories about these Vultures and did not know what to believe! The same goes for Short-toed, Bonelli's and Booted Eagles. I will post a short trip report on here when I get back.
Terry

Short-toed are now more regular which is fantastic, I have seen two this year. They did hang around the plain near Villafranca last year so I hope it will be the same this year. There was a large influx of Griffon vultures a couple of years back and they are now breeding. Brilliant. Bonelli's are part of a re-intoduction scheme and there are a few around, also seen around Villafranca and the tower at Albercutx. Booted eagles are resident but there are also many migrants, they are really quite common so you will have no trouble seeing those. There are also other surprises and anything is possible, large numbers of Honey buzzard, Black vulture, Common buzzard, Red and Black kites, Peregrine, Kestrel and Lesser kestrel and good numbers of Red-footed falcons.Sounds pretty good! Good birding. Mike

Mike
Having spent the last week sorting through photos from my visit, I remembered that I wanted to check access to the Salinas (de Lavante), retrospectively, as when I visited the site in 1982 we just drove the car through along the main tracks making sure we didn't get stuck! (as was the advice then). So 30 years on having not bothered driving the hour and a half journey from Pollensa since '82, I didn't really recognise much. My 'guide', Hugh, a regular Mallorca visitor had last been there in 2008 and he too found things very different. We followed what seemed to be a very nice, but obviously rather un-screened way-marked trail having gone in past the Spa/hotel track. On driving around later past the Salt Works entrance it appears that they are offering 'guided walks' . I guess a revenue producing scheme to offset the low price of salt, but if so is this affecting the serious birders like yourself and others who visit, thinking that access is still open. Any views would help visitors new or old. The Flamingos just about accepted the three of us walking slowly and quietly along the central path but we felt rather uneasy and a coach party of school kids might not have had the same consideration!
Thanks
Matthew

Having had virtually no migrants at all for the last week around Puerto Pollenca I was pleasantly surprised to get lots along the Coastal track north of Betlem this morning. Mostly phylloscs including at least 1 Bonellis but also Wryneck,
Whitethroats, Blackcaps, at least 8 Pied Fly (compared to 2 all last week) and my first Spotted Fly of the year (not the local race). Is Betlem a much better site or has there been a fall?

Hi Dave,
the Betlem track is a regular haunt of mine, there was nothing a couple of days ago, so this must be a fall. I have never seen Bonellis or Whitethroat, but have had a Melodious once, falls of Wood Warbler, and many Willow and Chiff-chaff, Pied and Spotted Flycatcher and Redstart pass through. Wryneck I hear sometimes, but only ever saw one!
To be fair, I cycle down there for exercise, so don't always do serious birding. But with your news, I am just off to have a look!
Clive.

Matthew, I have already written about the walk through the Salinas and how disappointed I was to see people walking so close to the Flaminos and breeding birds so thanks for bringing it up again. It is privately owned and I guess they can do what they want but it is ill-judged and not thought through, probably by non-birders. There are no screens and as you know, Flamingos don't like disturbance. As they are the main attraction they should be respected, otherwise they may well leave this site. It is the only place in Mallorca to reliably see Flamingos so it is very important to keep disturbance to a minimum. I have no objection to a money-making scheme so long as it is not at all costs. Hope it changes. Mike

To answer my own question, I've been around Pollensa this afternoon and there are LOADS more migrants in especially Pied Flys, Whinchat, Whitethroat and up to 40 flava Wags and they're easier to see here than at Betlem

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back