• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2012 (1 Viewer)

Hi Sean

Mine were on the Alcudia side of the Arta peninsula. We'd parked on the outskirts of Betlem and headed out along the track that hugs to coast ending at a popular boating bay with a small harbour/pontoon. We saw them all along the track and in the woodland behind the bay. That would have been the last week of September.

Also seen there were lots of Autumn crocus and Autumn daffodil (Narcissus serotinus).

Hi Craig

It would have been Striped as the Grayling doesn't occur there.

Martin

Thanks Craig and Martin.

regards
Sean

Hi Sean

Mine were on the Alcudia side of the Arta peninsula. We'd parked on the outskirts of Betlem and headed out along the track that hugs to coast ending at a popular boating bay with a small harbour/pontoon. We saw them all along the track and in the woodland behind the bay. That would have been the last week of September.

Also seen there were lots of Autumn crocus and Autumn daffodil (Narcissus serotinus).

Hi Craig

It would have been Striped as the Grayling doesn't occur there.

Martin

a few more shot,

dragonfly, x 2 not sure of the type though.

c. pratincole, x 2 right dodgy, distant shots.

steve.

Aren't the dragonflies female red-veined darters? The underside of the eyes look blue, the pterostima don't seem particularly dark and the second photo seems to show red veins.

Stew

Puerto Pollensa Trip

Hi folks,

Arriving for a weeks birding on the 13th Oct. Forecasts showing cloud and rain for that week. Bit gutted, but then thought this could be better for migrants. Any thoughts ?

Cheers,

Richard.

Hi All, sorry for the lack of info, I have been back in the UK for four weeks with no internet. It was nice to go to Leighton Moss and see some British birds that I have missed. Migration still good here, a Pectoral Sandpiper at s'Albufera and Salobrar is a good bird but there seems to be one or two most years now. The weather is impossible to predict on this Island so anything can happen. Rain is overdue. Salobrar is good on stormy days in the north as it is often fine there. Phil arrives today so I will get info on Santa Ponça tomorrow, again sorry for the delay. There is an area there known I think as "El Torre" which is at least as good as the Cap de ses Salines but I will get details later. Numbers of Starlings building up now, the roost at s'Albufera is spectacular and lots of Swallow and House Martins going through this morning. Great to be back and I will keep posting any info I get. Mike

Hi Super-silly-um, yes storms are good for surprise birds as high pressure sitting over the Island does not help. Phil and I will be going to s'Albufera a few times so do PM if you want to meet up. Mike

No, I´m still here but return to the UK tomorrow morning. The last few days have been a bit quiet with many of the same birds still present at s´Albufera. I spent the last two days at Binifaldó, up in the mountains, with great views of Black & Griffon Vultures, Ravens and Booted Eagles.

Rain arrived this morning so have been in the lab at Sa Roca most of the day.

We did go out to the hides a little earlier and met a couple of birders who told us about a Pectoral Sandpiper seen at Es Ras (new CIM hide) yesterday. They had a photo but it was rather distant and was thought to be a possible Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. However, more photos would be useful so if anyone here sees a possible Pec Sand and can up-load photos, it would help with the id.

A British photographer was there when it was seen so if he is a BF member and reads this any photos of the bird in question would be appreciated.

To anyone still here - good birding!

Best wishes

Martin

See http://theparanoidbirder.blogspot.co.uk for Pec Sand photo

Yes, great photo and clearly much better than the only image we had access to at the time.

It's a shame I missed it as I'd been in the old CIM hide that evening - but not the new one. That'll learn me!!

Martin

sept 2012

great shots billy!

marsh harrier
hoopoe x 2
redshank.

steve.

Attachments

• P1220442 (640x458).jpg
    P1220442 (640x458).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 64
  • P1220469 (640x457).jpg
    P1220469 (640x457).jpg
    234 KB · Views: 40
  • P1220474 (640x457).jpg
    P1220474 (640x457).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1220489 (640x463).jpg
    P1220489 (640x463).jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 53
Sorry for the lack of information on Santa Ponça, I can't get hold of Phil. I know that the golf course has turned up a couple of rare/scarce birds, Jackdaw and White Storks and I know there is awalk at the back of the town through a marshy area but afraid I don't know exactly where. I hope to speak to Phil soon and will post more specific details. More locals are now going to the Torre I believe as it can be a good migration watchpoint. Mike

Santa Ponça. 1) Golf II is the best golf course, viewed from "Puig de sa Morisca" 2) The point is known as "El Torro" (not torre) and is a good vantage point for migration. 3) there is a back road towards Calvia following a torrent called "cami des torrent" which is good for wintering Bluethroats, all year round Long-tailed tits (rare here) and other migrant passerines, 4)the public finca at Galatzo is also very good. 5) there is an area known as "Ses Planes" which has had some very good birds including raptors. 6) The point at the south edge of the town overlooking the island of "Malgrat" is the best place for sea birds notably Shearwaters. Hope this helps, it seems like a good map is needed for some of these! Let me know if you need more details. Mike

Last edited:
sept 2012

pied fly
sp. fly
curlew sand.
sanderling.

steve.

Attachments

• DSCN1104 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN1104 (640x458).jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1107 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN1107 (640x457).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1242 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN1242 (640x456).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN1296 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN1296 (640x458).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 44
sept 2012

a few more,
green sand
mamoras
stonechat
blue rock thrush

steve.

Attachments

• DSCN1448 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN1448 (640x456).jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1306 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN1306 (640x458).jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1308 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN1308 (640x458).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1343 (640x459).jpg
    DSCN1343 (640x459).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 54
A good morning at Salobrar de Campos until the storms came. Cattle and Little egrets, 9 Grey Heron, 9 Marsh harrier, 2 Osprey, 2 Booted eagle, Peregrine, Kestrel, Green sandpiper, 2 Ruff, 1 Turnstone, many Kentish and Little ringed plover, 11 Curlew, 1 Whimbrel, 2 Snipe, Spotted and common Redshank, 11 Greenshank, Little stints, Dunlin, 20 Lapwing, Water rail, 2 Wrynecks, Fan-tailed, Sardinan and Cetti's warblers, 100 Avocet and a grand total of 374 Flamingos. Stonechat and Whinchat, 1 Wheatear, lots of Swallows and 3 Sand martins. Also Robins and Starlings just in. Mike. ps the floods were incredible, it took Phil two and a half hours to get home.

I believe a Spotted eagle has been seen on Menorca. Phil, Clive and I had a Lesser-spotted eagle last year so I think all raptors should be carefully scanned, Mallorca is well placed for raptors and we just never know what will turn up next. Mike

sept2012

thanks craig,
xbills x 2
dunlin x 2

steve.

Attachments

• DSCN1359 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN1359 (640x456).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN1366 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN1366 (640x457).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1467 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN1467 (640x457).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1486-001 (640x456).jpg
    DSCN1486-001 (640x456).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 34
1st Day out and about

Great to be here. Visited `Postage stamp wood´ where there wasn't much happening apart from my first ever Sardinian Warbler. Fan-tailed Warbler in scrub to west of wood.
Boquer Valley is beautiful. Alot of people about, so was't too confident, but did see 2 Raven, Blue Rock Thrush, Redstart, 2 Eleanoras Falcons, 2 Kestrel, 2 Crag Martin. A lovely day out.

Looking forward to s 'Albufera soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back